Thread: Home Gym Plans

jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home Gym Plans

I know there are plenty of you who work out at home, and who have gone through the trials and tribulations of planning out the space and equipment needed, so I am asking for any help in doing this. My current home doesn't have enough space to create my home gym, but my wife and I are considering moving and if we do, having a plan for home gym space is part of the requirement for any new home we purchase.

One of the issues with this plan is that here in NC there are not a lot of basements in homes, most houses are built on a slab or with a crawlspace, we might get lucky and find the *perfect* house with a basement in our price range that meets all of our other needs, but I am not sure.

My thoughts were the following:
    Treadmill and Elliptical for Cardio (we already own the treadmill and I want the elliptical).

For weights my ideas were either a system like the following:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/sps.html

or

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/wms.html

Then with all of that, we would add a olympic weight set, plus a dumbbell set (one of the one that dial up and down for weight)

I understand that this gets pricey, but I am starting to save now for my "ultimate" home gym and one way to get there is ask questions and learn from others...

Thanks
    -= JOE =-

BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jdonyx View Post
    ...but my wife and I are considering moving and if we do, having a plan for home gym space is part of the requirement for any new home we purchase.
    Why build it in the house? I'd rather spend a few grand and put up a barn or metal building out back and do it right, like, higher ceilings for wall-mount chinup bars, proper supports for cable pulldowns. And lots of floorspace for exercise matting and accidental weight drops. And a bathroom big enough for a commode and shower.

Then, do what I did. Hookup a DirecTV dish to a big screen TV, get a recliner, a small fridge, internet access, and have a place to yourself outside the house. You can always add a pool table later if you quit working out.
    Hang up and drive. Slower traffic move right.

jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdonyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Current neighborhood coveninets don't allow that type of detached buildings being added to the house, plus my lot is too small.

Also there are other reasons to move...

All good ideas tho.
    -= JOE =-

jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO the power rack is the clear winning plan. They don't restrict your movement the way a leverage machine does, and the machine won't let you barbell squat (a critical exercise in my opinion.)
    Last edited by jude-o; 03-26-2007 at 02:47 PM.

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BELLC View Post
    Why build it in the house? I'd rather spend a few grand and put up a barn or metal building out back and do it right, like, higher ceilings for wall-mount chinup bars, proper supports for cable pulldowns. And lots of floorspace for exercise matting and accidental weight drops. And a bathroom big enough for a commode and shower.

Then, do what I did. Hookup a DirecTV dish to a big screen TV, get a recliner, a small fridge, internet access, and have a place to yourself outside the house. You can always add a pool table later if you quit working out.
    x2

I'd add : a large fridge, a/c|heat, stove/oven/microwave and definitely a pool table... and a beer tap. For when the wife b*tches about you spending too much time in the gym.

1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jdonyx View Post
    I know there are plenty of you who work out at home, and who have gone through the trials and tribulations of planning out the space and equipment needed, so I am asking for any help in doing this. My current home doesn't have enough space to create my home gym, but my wife and I are considering moving and if we do, having a plan for home gym space is part of the requirement for any new home we purchase.

One of the issues with this plan is that here in NC there are not a lot of basements in homes, most houses are built on a slab or with a crawlspace, we might get lucky and find the *perfect* house with a basement in our price range that meets all of our other needs, but I am not sure.

My thoughts were the following:
    Treadmill and Elliptical for Cardio (we already own the treadmill and I want the elliptical).

For weights my ideas were either a system like the following:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/sps.html

or

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/wms.html

Then with all of that, we would add a olympic weight set, plus a dumbbell set (one of the one that dial up and down for weight)

I understand that this gets pricey, but I am starting to save now for my "ultimate" home gym and one way to get there is ask questions and learn from others...

Thanks
    I would never put together a home gym without a power rack. If you get adjustable dumbells I would go with ironmaster or powerblocks. They are not cheap, but both are quality products.
    http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quic...bells-c-1.html
    http://www.powerblocks.com/blocks.html

I put all of my stuff except the treadmill in the garage. I have the Powertec rack, powertec utility bench, dumbell set 5-100, an old commercial lat pull/seatedrow machine with various attachments, curl bar, about 400lbs of olymic weights and some rubber stall mats for floor protection. I would like to get some 120 and 140 lbs dumbells down the road. I purchased everything, except the utility bench, used (mostly off of craigslist). You can find some incredible deals on craigslist if you are patient and know what you are looking for.

Do you have a budget in mind?

You should really check out the gym equipment forum. There is a wealth of information over there.
    Last edited by 1devil; 03-26-2007 at 01:37 PM.

BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    x2

I'd add : a large fridge, a/c|heat, stove/oven/microwave and definitely a pool table... and a beer tap. For when the wife b*tches about you spending too much time in the gym.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one around here with a sense of humor, even if I was being serious.

slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My home gym is in a 30x30 garage that has been finished out. Would you believe that there is a pool table and a bar in there?

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)
    This one doesn't look too bad.
    http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album11/aaa

Absolutely have the pool table, the fridge, beat up LaZBoy; gottra rest betwen sets & not hog a bench if someone else wants it.

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Maybe you can find a house with a 2 car garage & convert one of them into a weight room. If you're definitely gonna move though, this is a good time to look for 'almost new' last Xmas workout presents that were hardly ever used. I've seen 'em going for ten cents on the dollar in local papers, especially by people who, like you, are moving & don't want to haul the stuff around to continue collecting dust.

grebagal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grebagal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile RE: Home Gym Equip.

I don't know what stores they have where you are but we have a Dunham's Sporting good store in MI where we recently purchased a Smith Machine cage System. It was made by Marcy Strength training equip. It has everything! Check it out online, We caught it on sale. I imagine if you bought it online you could save a penny or two. Good Luck!

Grebagal
    "Ni bhionn an rath ach mara mbionn an smacht."

"There is no prosperity unless there is discipline."

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    go to the nautilus website, commercial section, on the right they have a "gym builder"
    you layout the room dimensions and you can put their equipment in it, great for planning
    I am using it to plan out a 10,000sqft gym now
    as well as new home gym

http://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_bra...equipment.jsp#
    Last edited by ctgblue; 03-27-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    as well as new home gymhttp://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_bra...equipment.jsp#
    I'm curious. I've been considering the same thing. The rural gyms here are no bigger than 1200-1600 feet and there is just no room for floor exercises. I don't care for the condition they are in and are not maintained properly.

What were the demographic factors that help you determine that square footage of 10,000 was what you need?

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    go to the nautilus website, commercial section, on the right they have a "gym builder"
    you layout the room dimensions and you can put their equipment in it, great for planning
    as well as new home gym

http://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_bra...equipment.jsp#

Thank you all for your insight and for you sense of humor... even though I missed it...
    -= JOE =-