d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why is MAX-OT so low volume?

I'm on my second week of MAX-OT, and things seem good so far, but my only complaint is that its so low volume. My old training program was split into three days with back/bis, chest/tris and legs. Now, in accordance with MAX-OT principles, i only train one muscle group a day, and my program is split into 5 days. But MAX-OT recommends that i do really low volume, for example, just 2 sets of squats, or just 2 sest of arm curls. Why is this? Now that i'm only training that one muscle group for the entire day, shouldn't i do at least 3-4 sets to failure like i did before?

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love very low volume workouts and respond well to them. Don't confuse low volume with easy. If you give it 100% like max-ot suggests, it will be enough to build on. I did raise the reps though as I feel 6-8 is better for me.

Here's a pretty good article I came across on the subject of low volume training.

It may be temptiong to follow a training program used by an experienced lifter or elite athlete. Beginners will probably make progress no matter what they do, as long as they train consistently. After some time, though, the body's ability to recuperate is out paced by the individual's ability to intensify their workouts. More advanced individuals must not necessarily workout harder, but they must workout smarter. Progress occurs during recovery, or between workouts. If the body has not fully recovered between workouts, overtraining can occur. Overtraining is probably the most common mistake of weight trainees of any level.

Current popular weight training dogma is based on training practices of athletes, bodybuilders, powerlifters, and weightlifters of the past. Training information is passed down from generation to generation. High school coaches often use programs from college coaches, who mimic programs followed professional athletes. Not only can professional athletes usually recover from greater volumes and intensities of work but they may often use ergogenic aids to recuperate. Many coaches, athletes, and other individuals incorporate program philosophies popularized in the '70s and '80s. These programs worked during the era when anabolic steroids were commonly used by many advanced weight lifters. Since then, anabolic steroids have been deemed illicit. With out these ergogenic aids, the programs of the past often lead to physical and psychological overtraining. Training naturally is quite different than training synthetically.

The ACSM Weight Training Guidelines state more than one set may elicit slightly greater strength gains but additional improvement is relatively small (ACSM 1995). Fleck and Kramer's review of the literature suggest the optimal number of sets is between 2 and 5 sets (Fleck & Kraemer, 1997). A second set seems understandable since a warm up set may allow greater intensity for the the following workout set ( Shellock & Prentice, 1985).

Many scientific studies demonstrate one set is almost effective as multiple sets, if not just as effective in strength and muscle hypertrophy (Starkey, Pollock, et. al. 1996). These studies have been criticized for using untrained subjects. Hass et. al. (2000) compared the effects of one set verses three sets in experienced recreational weightlifters. Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition during the 13 week study. Interestingly, no significant differences were found between groups for any of the test variables; including muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition.

A few maverick fitness authorities and professional bodybuilders have advocated high intense, very low volume training. Author Jones, the founder of Nautilus and MedX weight training equipment, was one of the early pioneers of single set training. In the 1980s, Casey Viator, the youngest Mr. America and Mr. Olympia contestant, and Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia contestant, promoted the high intense, low volume training. More recently, Dorian Yates, several time Mr. Olympia, reportedly performed only a warm up set and one or occasionally two workout sets through out his off-season training.

Weight training components (intensity, duration, frequency) are thought to be inversely proportionate to one another (I*D*F). This model suggests if one component is decreased, increasing one or both of the other components may make up for this loss. For example, by training each muscle group every 4 days instead of every 3 days (decrease frequency), the number of exercises or sets may be increased (increase duration), or the amount of weight may be increased (increase intensity).

Intensity is the least forgiving of the three components, if intensity is decreased for a time, strength and muscle mass gains will likely deteriorate. Increasing frequency or duration can not make up for a decrease of intensity. Furthermore, intensity will be unintentionally decreased if duration is too great. Each additional set or exercise performed in a workout decreases the amount of weight that can be used. If someone is aware they have yet several sets and many exercises to perform, they will hold back and not put full effort early in the workout. By the time they have completed the first part of their workout, they are unable to put full intensity in the remainder of their workout because of fatigue of all the exercises and sets they had just performed. Since muscular endurance is not a limiting factor with a low volume program, greater weight can be used.

A progressive intensity program seems to be the key factor in strength development, and consequentially muscle building (or muscle mass restoration). Weight training intensity is also seems to be the key component for fat loss (also see high repetition burn more fat myth). Not only can anaerobic activity utilizes calories for several hours after training (see HIIT), but restoration of muscle mass increases calories expended at any activity level, even during rest. These common goals can be obtained by doing the most within the least number of sets and exercises. Specifically, this involves performing as many repetitions as possible within the repetition range of the workout set, one repetition short of failure or compromising exercise form (see weight training guidelines).

By performing an additional set (50% to 100% more sets) only 0 to 5% more progress will be observed. Each additional set yields even less progress to a point of diminishing return. The time saved with an abbreviated weight training program can often be used more wisely elsewhere in a program. More aerobics should be performed if fat loss, toning, or cardiovascular conditioning is a goal. Duration is a more important component with aerobics exercise. Alternatively, more sports specific training can be performed if improvement of athletic ability is a goal. In addition, more rest can be take between sets if strength is a goal. Finally, more time can be spent recuperating after workouts, decreasing the stagnant or injurious effects of overtraining.

There is less need to divide the body into as many groups when designing a split program. Each muscle group can be worked with greater frequency; more than just once a week as many high volume programs force you to perform. In addition, more rest days can be implemented for greater recovery, as in the case of a two day split workout performed 4 days per week.

Those who are used to a program implementing multiple sets and/or a many exercises are usually skeptical about performing so few sets. Veterans of the old school may not feel confident they will experience gains with less sets and exercises. They had been introduced and grown accustom to traditional training. Some may even react violently at the proposition of incorporating such a abbreviated method of training. They may defend their quaint methods to justify all the time and effort they had spent training at higher volumes throughout the years.

If an individual is accustom to a high volume program it may be very difficult psychologically to perform only a warm up set and one workout set. It may take months until the veteran is use to the low volume, progressively intense training. The individual who is used to performing multiple sets and many exercises for each muscle group is initially unable to perform a workout set at a great intensity. They have taught themselves, almost unconsciously, to hold back since they are used to performing many exercises and sets. It may require months to teach the body to push itself more intensely. In addition, the type of fatigue experienced after the high intense, low volume training is different than the traditional high volume training. Until they are able to generate more intensity in their workouts, many may feel they are not achieving a productive workout based on this initial lack of fatigue.

For those who are used to a high volume program, an intermediate volume training prescription may be suggested. This involves two workout sets performed after a warmup set. The workout weight should be increased 5 to 10 % if 12 reps (or the upper repetition range) is performed. The two workout sets may be performed with the same weight (straight sets) or the second workout set may be 5% greater than the resistance used on the first workout set (outlined below), independent of the progress weight.

Warmup set A: 50% of workout weight (12-15 reps)
    Workout set 1: Recorded weight (8-12 reps)
    If 12 reps, increase workout weight 5-10% next workout
    Workout set 2: Recorded weight + 5%

Performing the fewest sets and exercises necessary to reach your objectives will facilitate higher workout intensities and can reduce the occurrence of overtraining.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i love low volume

btw, if you're training 5ays/week remember to keep it around 35minutes/day worth. i did 5days for quite a while and from experience anymore and you tend to burnout very quickly.
    Booo

d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d!abolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Overload, count you link that article and/or those studies? Thanks!

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Why is MAX-OT so low volume?

Originally posted by d!abolic
    I'm on my second week of MAX-OT, and things seem good so far, but my only complaint is that its so low volume. My old training program was split into three days with back/bis, chest/tris and legs. Now, in accordance with MAX-OT principles, i only train one muscle group a day, and my program is split into 5 days. But MAX-OT recommends that i do really low volume, for example, just 2 sets of squats, or just 2 sest of arm curls. Why is this? Now that i'm only training that one muscle group for the entire day, shouldn't i do at least 3-4 sets to failure like i did before?
    I guess to put it bluntly, because you are training to positive failure on every set, and training within 85% of your 1 rep max on all exercises, if it was high volume, you would burn yourself out very quickly

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by d!abolic
    Overload, count you link that article and/or those studies? Thanks!
    The site I got that article from is http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Look on the right hand side under "weight training/main menu" and you'll see some other good articles.

I also like these articles: http://www.ironaddicts.com/artindx.htm
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im wondering, how do you keep the workout to 25mins as they tell you to do it if you have to wait 3 minutes between each set???? i find myself just waiting for the 3mins to be up most of the time........ how can you do all the sets and wait 3 misn between each and keep it under 45min?

For me personally, I've cut everything down to 2 sets and I cut out some exercises. So far, even lower volume than max-ot suggests works better for me.

Also, don't count your warmups as part of your workout time. When they say 30-45 minutes, they aren't counting warmups. After a while you start to need less time between sets. At least for the smaller muscles. You don't need to wait 3 minutes between sets of calf raises or arm curls. Go by feel. When you're ready and feel you can give it 100% on the next set, go for it.

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Sp1ke
    Im wondering, how do you keep the workout to 25mins as they tell you to do it if you have to wait 3 minutes between each set???? i find myself just waiting for the 3mins to be up most of the time........ how can you do all the sets and wait 3 misn between each and keep it under 45min?

25mins? i think you meant to type 35?

simple, you move efficiently; for example, in 35minutes today i did:

2set front squat
    2set squat
    2set close-stance squat
    1set front squat + 80chain
    1set box squat
    2set overhead squat

3minutes rest between.

you shouldn't have any problems unless you're doing like 10-20reps/set
    Booo

Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000) Sp1ke is just really nice. (+1000)
    I meant 45mins

But for the warmup ones, do you have to do little weight or close to your '4 can do but cant 6+'?

Originally posted by Sp1ke
    I meant 45mins

But for the warmup ones, do you have to do little weight or close to your '4 can do but cant 6+'?
    warm up i'll do the bar, stretch, bar+1plate on each side, stretch, then get onto my working sets. i also don't factor warmup time into my timing.
    Booo

For warmups, I'll do about 3-4 sets, usually for major exercises and/or bigger muscle groups, where I pyramid the weight. That way my first working set isn't a big surprise or shock to my body as far as the amount of weight I have to handle.