canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Muscle Memory? Is it only a myth?

Is it easier to regain than gain the very first time?

If so, why?

badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000) badandy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I pretty sure when you gain muscle you keep those cells. but when you lose weight they just shrink. When you start gaining again they fill up again. Not totally sure so don't flame.

T-T has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle memory isn't JUST refered to "your muscles can grow back easier". Rather it's your muscles remembering to do things (how to grow and movements).

Take this as a perfect example. They gave a bycicle to a 70ish year old man who hadn't ridden a bycicle for some 50 odd years. Within half an hour he was able to ride in circles.

It's the way that your muscles simply won't forget what it's like to bench press, squat, deadlift, etc. It also is easier to add mass that was lost the second time around.

canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) canuck195 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why is it easier the second time around to add muscle though?
    More muscle cells present?

Registered User Travis Stenersn's Avatar
    Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The theory that new cells are created when building muscle is still up in the air. It's not proven yet, but is a sound theory. The theory says that microtears occur in the muscle fiber, and satellite nuclei go to the tears, fill them and become entirely new fibers. Muscle growth is understood to be from more actin and myosin within the muscle fibers(the existing cells just expand).

Muscle memory is not a myth. During the first 6 to 12 weeks of a strength training program(if you're new to training) the only adaptation that occurs is that of the central nervous system. You learn the movements. After you 'know' the movements, you will start to see some adaptation within the muscle to overcome the resistance. It is easier to regain after a lay off, than it is to outright begin a program. It's easier to regain it because you already know how to do the movements, and you just need to start rebuilding more actin and myosin to get back to where you were.

Also, another thing is that your body wants to stay at whatever weight it is used too. If you're 215 pounds, and then you get sick and drop to 185, your body doesn't like this. It's gone out of it's homeostatic condition. It really would prefer to go back to 215 because it's used to it. So it's going to help you as much as it can to get you back there. Now, if you maintain that 185 for some time, your body's homeostatic condition will be at 185, and it will be more difficult to regain. But still, it will be faster than if you were never 215 at all.

damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff damnJeff
    What are you majoring in, Travis?
    "Sometimes you just feel tired, you feel weak. And when you feel weak you feel like you just wanna give up. But you gotta search within you and try to find that inner strength and just pull that **** out of you and get that motivation to not give up and not be a quitter no matter how bad you just wanna fall flat on your face and collapse." - Eminem

Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by damnJeff
    What are you majoring in, Travis?

Chemical Engineering.
    I'm told almost daily that I'm in the wrong program. =)
    I think I would actually prefer exercise science or biochemistry, and have considered dropping out of engineering into Kinesiology or Biochemistry. But the fact that engineering gives you an almost surefire excellent job upon graduation, I'm sticking it out. Average starting salaries for most engineering degrees are sky high for just after graduation.

BiG RED HH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Travis Stenersn

Chemical Engineering.
    I'm told almost daily that I'm in the wrong program. =)
    I think I would actually prefer exercise science or biochemistry, and have considered dropping out of engineering into Kinesiology or Biochemistry. But the fact that engineering gives you an almost surefire excellent job upon graduation, I'm sticking it out. Average starting salaries for most engineering degrees are sky high for just after graduation.
    Do biochemistry or pharmacy and work for pfizer (or is it spelt phyzer), they start you at around 50-125k plus stock and all sorts of other ****. They're also one of the fastest growing companies in the world, helping 70 year old men all over the country to take part in things 70 year olds just shouldnt be doing. I just wish i had the motivation to stay with biochem, but im lazy and will pay for it later in life when i have terrible credit and im selling my cock to 40 year olds for money.

Br

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Travis Stenersn

Also, another thing is that your body wants to stay at whatever weight it is used too. If you're 215 pounds, and then you get sick and drop to 185, your body doesn't like this. It's gone out of it's homeostatic condition. It really would prefer to go back to 215 because it's used to it. So it's going to help you as much as it can to get you back there. Now, if you maintain that 185 for some time, your body's homeostatic condition will be at 185, and it will be more difficult to regain. But still, it will be faster than if you were never 215 at all.
    Never thought about it in those terms but that makes a lot of sense because your body would have to some some serious adapting to usage of nutrients and stuff like that if you dropped 30lbs, and the body is very lazy when it comes to changing

Hahaha, Red, I'm sure there is a lucrative career available to you in 'cock-selling'.

I plan on specializing in Biochemical Engineering, industrial biotechnology and going into the Pharmaceuticals field. I want to look at the pharmacokinetics of drugs, and help design more efficient drugs or delivery methods for drugs. Bill Roberts (author for the MESO-Rx site) has the career I really envy. So a company like Phizer or Johnson & Johnson is probably where I'll end up.

Chemical engineering averages 75 thousand upon graduation with a masters(and I can do a joint masters-undergrad if my marks are high enough by my third year).

Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought muscle memory was like this...

If ya learn to write and do it all through school at what not, then not write a single letter for like 5 years, when ya pick up a pen again you will still be able to write as fast as you always could. I didnt know it had to do with gaining size and strength.

hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by BiG RED HH

im selling my cock to 40 year olds for money.

Br
    Ahahahaha!! Its even better how I cropped it!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Einstein