Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member protein's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Posts: 70
    Rep Power: 12
    protein is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    protein is offline

    how long does it take to digest protein

    does anyone know how long does it take to digest protein(chicken, fish, beef, milk, eggs) and carbohydrates from the time the food is ingested to the time nutrients are available for the muscles cells will help greatly on how to plan my meals throughout the day
    also I'm interested in knowing how much of a delay can milke help to steadily release whey protein when taking togather ? right now I'm assuming 3 hours (after drinking milk with whey protein) before all the whey protein is used up, any data on that ?
    thanks
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User BoxerUK's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: UK
    Age: 37
    Posts: 687
    Rep Power: 11
    BoxerUK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BoxerUK is offline
    If you eat every two or three hours you will stay in a positive nitrogen balance.
    Moderator at rossboxing.com
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Member protein's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Posts: 70
    Rep Power: 12
    protein is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    protein is offline
    that's what I do now - I have no choice since I have hypoglycemia. I would eat a normal meal(e.g.. two slices of multi-grain bread + turkey burger patty + one slice cheese = 40g protein) and get hungry too aften too soon(usually 1 hour after I ate).

    However, I am thinking I get that hungry feeling so quick because it's just the symptom of hypoglycemia causing me to "feel" hungry, and not that the body is starved of nutrients and proteins yet. In order to verify that I'm trying to figure out how long does it take to digest food and transport the protein/nutrients to the muscle cells.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Banned rmatic1's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: NY
    Posts: 728
    Rep Power: 0
    rmatic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit rmatic1's BodySpace
    rmatic1 is offline
    whats hypoglycemia, lol, i think i have the same thing, im ALWAYS hungry, after everything i eat, but i dont think its a mental thing, cause when i was bulking i would get full that i had to force feed myself, but now on my maintarnce diet i think eitehr somethings wrong w/ith me, or im not eating enough cuase im starving after i eat anything,.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Zachary's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 745
    Rep Power: 22
    Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Zachary is offline
    It's absolutely dependent on the type of protein.

    Whey protein, for example, is processed within 3 hours more or less. Casein, on the other hand, is digested much more slowly -- and stays active for something closer to 7 hours.

    Also, digestion rates depend on gastic emptying rates, which depend on things like fiber consumption, carb consumption, fat consumption, etc.

    In other words; it depends.

    As to meal frequency; well...eating every 2-3 hours is not going to keep you in a positive nitrogen balance while dieting -- that's absurd. If it were true, you could gain muscle while cutting at any bodyfat, which is patently false. At the same time, one could eat only every 5 hours, for example, if consuming the right kinds of protein (i.e. not whey) while bulking, and stay in a positive nitrogen balance for most of the day, if enough calories are being taken in. It's a much more complicated issue than merely a 2-3 hour rule.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User iamtheking's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: sg
    Posts: 1,060
    Rep Power: 12
    iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit iamtheking's BodySpace
    iamtheking is offline
    i would have thought that whey would be digested much faster.........
    Singaporean here

    "If its brown,drink it down. If its black, send it back." Homer Simpson
    System Of A Down ROCKS
    ___________________________
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176772&highlight=Homemade
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Zachary's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 745
    Rep Power: 22
    Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zachary is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Zachary is offline
    Originally posted by iamtheking
    i would have thought that whey would be digested much faster.........
    Protein synthesis peaks 20-30 minutes after digestion; it really leaves the system after 3 hours, is more what I meant; I should have made that clear.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User iamtheking's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: sg
    Posts: 1,060
    Rep Power: 12
    iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamtheking is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit iamtheking's BodySpace
    iamtheking is offline
    Originally posted by Zachary
    Protein synthesis peaks 20-30 minutes after digestion; it really leaves the system after 3 hours, is more what I meant; I should have made that clear.
    thats fine. thanks
    Singaporean here

    "If its brown,drink it down. If its black, send it back." Homer Simpson
    System Of A Down ROCKS
    ___________________________
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176772&highlight=Homemade
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User Blakengd's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Age: 27
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    Blakengd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Blakengd is offline

    Exclamation

    Originally Posted by protein View Post
    that's what I do now - I have no choice since I have hypoglycemia. I would eat a normal meal(e.g.. two slices of multi-grain bread + turkey burger patty + one slice cheese = 40g protein) and get hungry too aften too soon(usually 1 hour after I ate).

    However, I am thinking I get that hungry feeling so quick because it's just the symptom of hypoglycemia causing me to "feel" hungry, and not that the body is starved of nutrients and proteins yet. In order to verify that I'm trying to figure out how long does it take to digest food and transport the protein/nutrients to the muscle cells.
    I'm sorry but you are an ignoramus. Hypoglycemia has to do with a low level of blood sugar. This means that you aren't eating enough carbohydrates (preferably from fruit) to create an adequate amount of blood glycogen!!!!! Wow!!! Also in your meals your listing like almost all protein! Get over it. Protein will never produce blood sugar!!!

    Cravings and hunger are also linked to calorie restriction or a lack of blood sugar which comes from carbs. I mean seriously man your worried about when to eat protein when in actuality you should be worried about your carb intake and from what source. Try drinking a half a liter of water when you get up and then eat 8-10 bananas for breakfast.

    Jesus, figure it out.

    30bananasaday.com
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User hilldomain's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 43
    Stats: 5'7", 169 lbs
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hilldomain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit hilldomain's BodySpace
    hilldomain is offline
    Originally Posted by Blakengd View Post
    I'm sorry but you are an ignoramus. Hypoglycemia has to do with a low level of blood sugar. This means that you aren't eating enough carbohydrates (preferably from fruit) to create an adequate amount of blood glycogen!!!!! Wow!!! Also in your meals your listing like almost all protein! Get over it. Protein will never produce blood sugar!!!

    Cravings and hunger are also linked to calorie restriction or a lack of blood sugar which comes from carbs. I mean seriously man your worried about when to eat protein when in actuality you should be worried about your carb intake and from what source. Try drinking a half a liter of water when you get up and then eat 8-10 bananas for breakfast.

    Jesus, figure it out.

    30bananasaday.com
    not sure if your kidding about the bananas or if you to are an idiot. Too much simple sugars for a hypoglycemic would be really stupid. Eat low index carbs like oats, brown rice, not too many fruits and white breads etc. Reserve fruits for when you get shaky, your blood sugar is low. And yes protein, fat, and fiber will help regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.Your hunger may be because of increased hunger hormones and a lot of times its because our body is used to eating at certain times.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    mmm, bacon... necon76's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Australia
    Stats: 5'7", 180 lbs
    Posts: 12,781
    Rep Power: 29514
    necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) necon76 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit necon76's BodySpace
    necon76 is offline
    Originally Posted by hilldomain View Post
    not sure if your kidding about the bananas or if you to are an idiot. Too much simple sugars for a hypoglycemic would be really stupid. Eat low index carbs like oats, brown rice, not too many fruits and white breads etc. Reserve fruits for when you get shaky, your blood sugar is low. And yes protein, fat, and fiber will help regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.Your hunger may be because of increased hunger hormones and a lot of times its because our body is used to eating at certain times.

    You just replied to a 14 month old troll post, who was replying to a post that was 9 years old.


    Bumpception.
    Ain't choppin' no pies, just risin' like cream.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout