Centurian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Another beginner!

Hey.
    I bought dumbells about 6/7 weeks ago and I've started bodybuilding. I admit that I really don't know my stuff or the proper terms for things but I'm eager to learn. My stats are:
    Height:5ft4in (I'm kinda small)
    Weight: 9stone (125lbs i think)

I work out two nights in a row then take a night off.
    Heres how I've been working out:

I do 50 of lifting 15lbs dumbells from my arms straight hanging down up to my shoulders and back down. I understand this works the biceps and the triceps to some extent but I'd like to know how to do more work on my triceps.

I do 25 lifting 15lbs lifting from my shoulders to above my head until my arms are straight and back down.

I do 15 with 10lbs lifting my arms from their resting position until they make a straight line then back down. I only started this a few days ago as I was told it builds the shoulders

I hold my arms straight as above with 10lbs for 30seconds.

Then I repeat 3 or 4 times.

I also do 75 situps with 10lbs of loose weights held behind my head (I've been doing situps for about 6months, so this isn't a problem). I've started eating an egg or two every day for protein.

Sorry that I don't know the correct terminology to describe things but I'm eager to learn. I know this almost definetly isn't a correct workout but I need to know what I should be doing to make maximum gains and to work all my arms/upper body, not just the biceps. I'm not aiming to be all veiny and ripped but I do want to be large and well built (more like Kerry King)

I admit I'm quite ignorant and probably sound like a bit of a fool but I need to know how to make maximum gains and how to do it properly. Thanks.

Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't worry man we all started somewhere. Now get a membership to a gym (and they will show you what to do), or buy a 300 dollar bench. You can't do alot with dumbells. But for now only lift every other day.
    Get it in Gear

HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you use too many reps but i can understand that youre using really light weight. To lower the reps you use, try going alot slower thatll take alot of reps out of the exercise. Try to get a membership to a gym. Til then instead of using one dumbell for curls , try and hold two in one hand so the weight is doubled.
    1......2......3...... LIFT

Yeah, I can only use 20lbs if i use one dumbell at a time - i might try that but i can't work both arms at the same time then. I'll try doing the reps really slowly.
    I probably can't join a Gym cos
    1) My parents are scabby.
    2) I have school everyday till 6pm, music on Friday nights and the Junior Cert (Irish state exam) to do this year. I might be able to join a gym in the summer but till then.....

How can I improve myself from home in the mean time? I'm prepared to spend money on any equipment neccasary. About the bench, I've seen cheap benches for around 75euros but then again, I don't really know what to look for.

Thanks for your help so far.

HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Check this site out for most all exercises and muscles. This site is good for learning. Check it.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    try to find objects around your house that you can use instead of buying stuff cause you said you can get a membership to a gym in the summer so theres no need to buy anything now
    1......2......3...... LIFT

SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    with that light of weights you aren't going to get very big......but that doesn't mean you can't get strong.

you can do dumbell press....lay on the floor and push them up like you were benching

skull crushers(triceps) hold the dbs up while laying on the floor....hold them up like you just benched them. now bend AT THE ELBOWS and bring them down to your forhead andback up. use just your elbows.

push ups-they'll make you strong...a great exercise

shoulder shrugs-stand up. hold a db in each hand and shrug your shoulders slowly

body squat. hold both dbs up like you just curled them and then squat.

calf raises(with or without holding the weight)-just rise up onto your toes.

these are just some of the basics.

I said I might be able to start to go to a gym in the summer, it's not definite...
    I have York Vinyl dubells which are a bit crappy. If I was to buy heavier dumbells and perhaps a barbell, mabey a bench in more distant future, would I be able to achieve results working at home only?
    I'd kinda like to try working at hime as much as I can, but only if I can properly. I realise that working at a gym is better, and perhaps a weekly visit could be possible in adition to at home work would be possible, mabey I could find time on a Sunday.

Thanks loads for the exercises, it's a really big help for a beginner like me, I'll put them into practise next time I work out.

digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50) digital_one will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i workout at home and only have basic equipment at the moment (like dumbells, a barbell and a bench with leg curl and butterfly extension) and i am seeing results after 2 monjths of working out. I hope to get some more eqipment eventually but for now i going to carry on as i have done, so to answer your question u will see results from only working out at home.

I might try just working out at home, although if you've only been working out for two months (similar to me), arn't you likely to see results quickly even if your form and all is wrong?

A bench similar to that wouldn't cost me that much - could get it as part of a birthday present in November or save up, and I could get some better dumbells and a barbell.

Anyone who has been working out for a fair time and seen good size and strength results working at home? If you have, what equipment did you use etc.?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but gyms cost lots of money and home equipment would mean I could work out at any time convenient.

I gave all those exercises a shot last night (yeah, I know that I'm only meant to work one body part per workout i.e. Triceps one night, chest the next but I wanted to them out). I've been doing the reps really slowly too. I found the skull crushers pretty hard and it showed me just how much I've been concentrating too much on my biceps.

The main area I can feel them working is the base of my arm where the muscle at the front conects to the chest in front of the arm pit. Will this help the development of the pecs?

Given that I'm now working abs, triceps, biceps, shoulders and calfs, if I stick with working a different body part everynight and work hard and get some heavier dumbells etc., am i gonna start getting bigger?

Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cusesharpe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Because of your age, you will get bigger, but before long you will need equipment or you will lose proportion.

Ok, thanks

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would really recommend getting Arnold' encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding, I know I plug it a lot but no other book beats it. It has pictures of the exercises and tells you what the exercises do. There is some info in there that is outdated and a bit risky but overall it is a great book, especially for a beginner and it's fairly cheap. If you can't find it in Ireland, check on amazon.com I believe it's $30 US. Good luck!

massive14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hows nutrition looking for you

meaning how much do you eat in calories and do you use any supplements

Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is he joking

I'll look into getting that book, gotta find some cash first

Before I start using any supplements I'm gonna train for another 3months or so. I'm getting most of my protein from eggs at the moment, so I might buy a whey based protein shake mix or something....

NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by McBain
    I would really recommend getting Arnold' encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding, I know I plug it a lot but no other book beats it. It has pictures of the exercises and tells you what the exercises do. There is some info in there that is outdated and a bit risky but overall it is a great book, especially for a beginner and it's fairly cheap. If you can't find it in Ireland, check on amazon.com I believe it's $30 US. Good luck!
    Arnold's book is probably the worst book I've read his routines are ridiculous. they won't work for a normal person.
    weight training is the easiest thing to understand and the hardest to actually implement. - Dr. Ken Leistner

Miracles are attested, but what if they're instead some mix of charlantary, unfamiliar states of consciousness, misapprehensions of natural phenomena, and mental illness? No contemporary religion and no New Age belief seems to me to take sufficient account of the grandeur, magnificence, subtlety and intrcacy of the Universe revealed by science. The fact that so little of the findings of modern science is prefigured in Scripture to my mind casts further doubt on its divine inspiration. - Carl Sagan

Damn it - i slightly strained my where my triceps meets the forearm and according to my dad, I should lift any weights for a while or I'll completly **** things up. It's only sore when used and then only a bit but even so.... It better not undo the results I've achieved already...