CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000)

Critique my routine and diet?

I'm looking to clean bulk at the moment as much as possible, i know i probably need to eat more, but anything you can help me with? In regards to the workout, my chest and shoulders just dont feel like im working them as hard as the other groups?

Monday: Chest, biceps
    Bench press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
    Incline press (free weights, barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
    Vertical bench press (machine) 1 set 20 reps
    Barbell curls (shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps
    Dumbbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps
    EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip) 1 set 20 reps

Tuesday: Legs
    Squats (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
    Leg press (machine) 2 sets 10 reps
    Hack squats (machine) 1 set 20 reps
    kickboxing training

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Shoulders, triceps
    Behind the neck press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps Standing upright rows (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps Front overhead press (machine) 1 set 20 reps
    Lying triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
    Overhead triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
    Triceps pushdown (machine, cable) 1 set 20 reps
    boxing training

Friday: Back, calves
    Front latpulldown (machine, shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps
    Seated cable rows (machine, narrow grip) 2 sets 10 reps
    Dumbbell rows (one arm at a time) 1 set 20 reps
    Standing calf raises (machine) 3 sets 6 reps
    Seated calf raises (machine) 2 sets 10 reps
    Bend-over calf raises (machine) 1 set 20 reps

Saturday: Off

Sunday: 1 mile swim

Diet on an average day:

10am:30g whey protein, 1 banana, about a pint of milk or so, and a scoop of jam
    1pm: chicken or tuna sandwich, tin of tuna
    4pm: go to the gym
    6pm: 30g whey protein, 1 banana, about a pint of milk or so, and a scoop of jam
    7pm: 500g lean steak mince, stir in sauce, pasta (or equivalent of chicken etc.)
    10pm: tin of tuna, 30g whey protein, 1 banana, about a pint of milk or so, and a scoop of jam

in addition i drink about 2 or 3 litres of water a day.

cookmic5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Critique my routine and diet?

Originally posted by CLK-GTR
    I'm looking to clean bulk at the moment as much as possible, i know i probably need to eat more, but anything you can help me with? In regards to the workout, my chest and shoulders just dont feel like im working them as hard as the other groups?

kickboxing training

Behind the neck press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps Standing upright rows (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps Front overhead press (machine) 1 set 20 reps
    boxing training

Diet on an average day:

7pm: 500g lean steak mince, stir in sauce, pasta (or equivalent of chicken etc.)
    10pm: tin of tuna, 30g whey protein, 1 banana, about a pint of milk or so, and a scoop of jam

Splits look ok, but where did you get the 3X6, 2X10, 1X20 thing? I think I saw that on the Nutrex page?? I'm a big fan of low volume lifting. I do several warm up sets and 1 set to complete failure, and have seen constant improvement. So, IMO, you would be better served by cutting down on the volume. Too many people overtrain and limit their progress. Choose two exercises for each body part and rotate them weekly ie. week 1 flat bench, week 2 incline bench, week 3 flat bench... Focus on improving in either reps or weight each time and KEEP A LOG, so you know how your improving. If you get stuck at a rep or weight, then drop that exercise and put in a different one ie. drop flat bench and insert flys.

Your diet looks decent, although as you said, you could eat more, I count only 4 real meals. I would also include oatmeal with my breakfast and drop the pasta in the evening. Try to get all your carbs in before 6pm. Also, adding dextrose to your post workout shake could prove beneficial. Your body is in shock after workout and the extra quickly processed carbs help to recover. To add a meal you may want to split your meals into times like 10:30 (I assume this is when you wake up, you lucky bastard!) 1, 3, post workout should be around 5 (workout shouldn't last 2 hours, just one, otherwise your overtaxing your body) 6 (real food should be taken in within an hour post workout) 9, and maybe some slow processed protein either cottage cheese or a casein shake before bed.

hope this helps

cm5

CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Re: Critique my routine and diet?

Originally posted by cookmic5
    Splits look ok, but where did you get the 3X6, 2X10, 1X20 thing? I think I saw that on the Nutrex page?? I'm a big fan of low volume lifting. I do several warm up sets and 1 set to complete failure, and have seen constant improvement. So, IMO, you would be better served by cutting down on the volume. Too many people overtrain and limit their progress. Choose two exercises for each body part and rotate them weekly ie. week 1 flat bench, week 2 incline bench, week 3 flat bench... Focus on improving in either reps or weight each time and KEEP A LOG, so you know how your improving. If you get stuck at a rep or weight, then drop that exercise and put in a different one ie. drop flat bench and insert flys.

Your diet looks decent, although as you said, you could eat more, I count only 4 real meals. I would also include oatmeal with my breakfast and drop the pasta in the evening. Try to get all your carbs in before 6pm. Also, adding dextrose to your post workout shake could prove beneficial. Your body is in shock after workout and the extra quickly processed carbs help to recover. To add a meal you may want to split your meals into times like 10:30 (I assume this is when you wake up, you lucky bastard!) 1, 3, post workout should be around 5 (workout shouldn't last 2 hours, just one, otherwise your overtaxing your body) 6 (real food should be taken in within an hour post workout) 9, and maybe some slow processed protein either cottage cheese or a casein shake before bed.

hope this helps

cm5
    that workout comes from the SAIS program on this site, each day normally takes about half an hour, which is why i think i arent working some areas hard enough, that and i work them to failure, but afterwards theres no feeling in them good or bad.

im at university so 10am is an early morning

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Critique my routine and diet?

kickboxing training

boxing training

Diet on an average day:

Both the training and diet are inadequate for gaining size.

Training:
    Too many exercises and too much time wasted on non compound movements.
    Monday: Cut each part to two exercises, not three.
    Tuesday: Leg work build size THROUGHOUT the body. This workout is entirely inadequate( 6 sets??) and is also missing hamstring work.
    Friday: The SECOND most important bodypart is building overall muscle size is the back. Get off the machines and do bent rows, deadlifts...6 sets again are not enough. Do 8.

Diet:The body needs carbs pre and post workout to provide workout energy and prevent muscle catabolism afterwards. There are none here before, little afterwards and very little overall in the diet except for the milk, which is a poor choice of primary carbs in a bodybuilding diet. Complex carbs are a much better choice and promote development of lean muscle mass.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: Critique my routine and diet?

Originally posted by egoatdoor

Training:
    Too many exercises and too much time wasted on non compound movements.
    Monday: Cut each part to two exercises, not three.
    Tuesday: Leg work build size THROUGHOUT the body. This workout is entirely inadequate( 6 sets??) and is also missing hamstring work.
    Friday: The SECOND most important bodypart is building overall muscle size is the back. Get off the machines and do bent rows, deadlifts...6 sets again are not enough. Do 8.
    BUMP, and don't forget abs too. They're so very important, because they help to keep your back straight while doing movements like squats and deadlifts.

abs i do everyday and during the boxing and kickboxing training. that workout is the sais program on this site, and the diet needs improving i know that much, it will change when i get home for xmas break and my mum can cook me the foods that i cant do yet

can you or someone post up an altered routine for the workout because with regards to alot of bodybuilding im new to it all.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    can you or someone post up an altered routine for the workout because with regards to alot of bodybuilding im new to it all.
    What is your age, height, weight, bodyfat % and what is your target for weight and/or bodyfat%?
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

im currently 18, 6foot2 about 190lbs. no idea of bodyfat%, i would guess from looking at peoples profile pictures im between 12 and 15%. im aiming to get to about 220lbs with miminal bodyfat

after having a browse around various threads and advice off here ive come up with this:

Monday
    Bench Press 3sets x 6 reps
    Incline Bench Press 3sets x 6reps
    Dumbell Flyes 2sets x 10reps
    EZbar bicep curls 3sets x 6reps
    Close grip chinups 3sets x 6reps
    Seated Bicep curls 2sets x 10reps

Tuesday
    Squats 3sets x 6reps
    Stiff legged deadlifts 3sets x 6reps
    Hack squats 2sets x 10reps
    Standing calf raises 3sets x 6 reps
    Seated calf raises 3sets x 6reps

Wednesday off

Thursday
    Behind the neck press 3sets x 6reps
    Upright rows 3sets x 6reps
    Wide grip behind the neck pulls up
    Shrugs 2sets x 10reps
    Close grip bench press 3sets x 6reps
    Overhead triceps press 3sets x 6reps
    Dips 2sets x 10reps
    (no skull crushers for triceps, they hurt my right shoulder, always have done)

Friday
    Deadlifts 3sets x 6reps
    Seated cable rows 3sets x 6reps
    Flyes 2sets x 10reps
    Abs 100 decline situps
    40 varying degree situps (hard to explain, got taught them in martial arts)
    50 twist crunches

Saturday off

Sunday swim 1 mile

i think perhaps a couple of days im doing too much on one area? they are all the exercises that test me the most and as many compound movements as i can. as for the diet ill ignore that for now, i am waiting until xmas break in a weeks time when my mum can teach me to cook what i need for a proper diet.

Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senate156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many does a week do you take kickboxing/boxing classes? How long are those classes each? And how tired/sore do those classes make you? Basically why i'm asking these questions is to figure out how much energy you have left to devote to weights, because you don't want to be overtraining. The less time/effort you devote to cardio/other physical activities the more time/effort you have left for the weights.

Originally posted by Senate156
    How many does a week do you take kickboxing/boxing classes? How long are those classes each? And how tired/sore do those classes make you? Basically why i'm asking these questions is to figure out how much energy you have left to devote to weights, because you don't want to be overtraining. The less time/effort you devote to cardio/other physical activities the more time/effort you have left for the weights.
    usually kickboxing and boxing take up 2 to 3 days a week, at university each class is 1 hour and compared with my old classes at a dedicated club back home dont tax my energy reserves much at all. i shall be at home the next month or so though so i wont be doing the classes, which is why i want to concentrate on bulking up. i spent my 1st semester at university drinking too much so except for new year's eve i'll be off the alcohol too, no need to drink at home.

I gotcha. Ok, tell me what u think about this:

Monday: Legs/Abs
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Curls
    Leg Extensions
    Weighted Crunches 4x8

Tuesday: Chest/Tris
    Db Bench Press
    Incline Db Bench
    Dips
    Cable Crossovers
    Skull Crushers

Wednesday: Back/Biceps
    Deadlift
    Db Rows (or Seated Rows)
    Chins
    Pull-ups
    Back Extensions

Thursday: Off

Friday: Off

Sat: Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Military Press
    Db Press
    Lat Raises
    Rear Flyes
    Bb Shrugs
    Calf Raises (On Hack Squat Machine)

Sunday: Off

All exercises are 3 sets 8, except crunches.

after having a browse around various threads and advice off here ive come up with this:

Monday
    Bench Press 3sets x 6 reps
    Incline Bench Press 3sets x 6reps
    Dumbell Flyes 2sets x 10reps
    EZbar bicep curls 3sets x 6reps
    Close grip chinups 3sets x 6reps
    Seated Bicep curls 2sets x 10reps

Tuesday
    Squats 3sets x 6reps
    Stiff legged deadlifts 3sets x 6reps
    Hack squats 2sets x 10reps
    Standing calf raises 3sets x 6 reps
    Seated calf raises 3sets x 6reps

Wednesday off

Thursday
    Behind the neck press 3sets x 6reps
    Upright rows 3sets x 6reps
    Wide grip behind the neck pulls up
    Shrugs 2sets x 10reps
    Close grip bench press 3sets x 6reps
    Overhead triceps press 3sets x 6reps
    Dips 2sets x 10reps
    (no skull crushers for triceps, they hurt my right shoulder, always have done)

Friday
    Deadlifts 3sets x 6reps
    Seated cable rows 3sets x 6reps
    Flyes 2sets x 10reps
    Abs 100 decline situps
    40 varying degree situps (hard to explain, got taught them in martial arts)
    50 twist crunches

Saturday off

Sunday swim 1 mile

i think perhaps a couple of days im doing too much on one area? they are all the exercises that test me the most and as many compound movements as i can. as for the diet ill ignore that for now, i am waiting until xmas break in a weeks time when my mum can teach me to cook what i need for a proper diet.
    I like this routine MUCH better. An improvement I would suggest is adding another compound back exercise ( large bodypart) and eliminating a couple of sets of arms( small bodypart), but I can live with what you have here. Good job.

On your goals. Realistically, getting to 220 with a low bodyfat will take a long time and probably cannot happen until 1) you get out of school and 2) learn much more about nutrition and are able to pay much more attention to diet. "Ignoring diet" won't hack it.

At 190 and say 15% bodyfat, your muscle/fat in pounds is 161/29. To be 220 and say 8%(which is a % a VERY small part of the population can attain), you need to be 202/18. That means putting on 40 POUNDS of muscle. Assuming you do not take steriods, it will several YEARS and alot of proper training, FOOD( including alot of calories, carbs and healthy fats) and rest/recuperation to achieve this naturally.

Originally posted by egoatdoor
    I like this routine MUCH better. An improvement I would suggest is adding another compound back exercise ( large bodypart) and eliminating a couple of sets of arms( small bodypart), but I can live with what you have here. Good job.

On your goals. Realistically, getting to 220 with a low bodyfat will take a long time and probably cannot happen until 1) you get out of school and 2) learn much more about nutrition and are able to pay much more attention to diet. "Ignoring diet" won't hack it.

At 190 and say 15% bodyfat, your muscle/fat in pounds is 161/29. To be 220 and say 8%(which is a % a VERY small part of the population can attain), you need to be 202/18. That means putting on 40 POUNDS of muscle. Assuming you do not take steriods, it will several YEARS and alot of proper training, FOOD( including alot of calories, carbs and healthy fats) and rest/recuperation to achieve this naturally.
    by ignoring diet i meant at university in my first semester i havent really got domesticated yet, but i go home for a month for xmas break in 1 weeks, when my mum will cook me a decent diet and teach me how to cook it for when i come back

as for my goals, i am aiming to build up, but the thing with me is i arent after anyhting specific. i will keep bulking up until i decide im happy, and then set to work on keeping my body as it is.

teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i read in this forum that canned tuna contains mercury, and even 1 can a day is above the amoun of mercury you should intake, but eating 1 can a day should be OK.

i dont know if that advice is true or not, but i'd like someone to post if it is okay to eat so many tuna cans/day
    he is taking about 2-3?

I was thinking about taking the same amount, but after reading stuff on this forum, i am thinking about taking 1.

so my question is:
    is it safe/okay to take more than 1 can of tuna per day or is that mercury overdose?