TheOx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

back and biceps on the same day?

Wassup guys and gals. I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now. Whenever i do back and biceps on the same day, my biceps seem to get a half-ass workout. I know rowing movements use a lot of biceps, so does anyone reccomend doing these muscle groups on a different day. All comments are welcome.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you arn't getting a good bicep workout, then simply do them on another day. no rule saying setup X is the best
    Booo

BobS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Remember that Biceps are, comparatively speaking, a small muscle. They do not need a lot of work to grow. If you are using pull-ups, chins, rows in your back workout, the Bi's should be almost exhausted by the end. Therefore (and most on the board I think agree with this), only a few heavy sets of curls of some sort is all you really need to do at the end to totally work 'em out.

If you feel your bi's are getting the short end of the stick, try a few sets of chin-ups to failure at the very end of the workout (after the curls). I guarantee your bi's (and forearms) will feel worked.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    if you arn't getting a good bicep workout, then simply do them on another day. no rule saying setup X is the best
    bump... i like it that way but the trick is to find what works best for you...

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    the trick is to find what works best for you...

Exactly.

min has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always do my biceps w/my chest and my back w/my triceps

nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Tuesday: Back, forearms, abs
    Wednesday: Chest, triceps
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Shoulders, biceps, abs

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just switched shoulder, triceps and biceps to another day as one workout. I wanted to see if it makes a difference and helps in my other lifts. I can definitely do a decent amount of more weight when they are worked separately but I still keep the volume low because they do get a good workout with back.

For now I'm trying:

chest/back
    shoulders/triceps/biceps
    legs/calves

*this gives the upper body more consecutive days of rest

or

chest/back
    legs/calves
    shoulders/triceps/biceps

* this puts more days between chest/back and arms

As others said, you need to find what works best for you. Experimentation can be fun though. How else will you learn what works unless you try it.

Good luck.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    guess we're all different, when i do biceps after back my biceps get an awesome workout.

Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Or... you could do this split:

Chest, Bicep

Shoulders, Back

Legs, tricep.

It's kinda weird... but a lot of people I know at the gym like it. (and yes... they are pretty big)

Personally, I believe in nubreed's split for maintenance and my five day split for bulk.

INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000) INTENSE58 is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb

I like to do my biceps with my shoulders, because they are totally different muscle groups. Get a great workout and great pump. However, do what's best for you though.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

TheOx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

thanks a lot guys for all of the input

Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swedish dude has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by TheSupaKorean
    guess we're all different, when i do biceps after back my biceps get an awesome workout.
    Bump that supakorean. I used to never train biceps with back but 3 weeks ago I switched to a back/bicep workout and I Love it. I get an awesome workout. And also check your form, try not to row that much with your biceps. Use your back.
    Mind-muscle connection.

try and see what works for you.

Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Feer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Swedish dude
    Bump that supakorean. I used to never train biceps with back but 3 weeks ago I switched to a back/bicep workout and I Love it. I get an awesome workout. And also check your form, try not to row that much with your biceps. Use your back.
    Mind-muscle connection.

try and see what works for you.
    bump the bump..

seeing great growth in arms since i've started 2 months ago on back/biceps.

i may not necessarily feel the pump in my biceps after each workout but you can't argue with results.
    "I prayed for 20 years but received no answer until i prayed with my legs" - Frederick Douglass