skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Great way to eat your flax: Bread machine Super Protein Flax Bread

This is a great way to take your flax supplement. Only way to get bodybuilding friendly bread is to make your own.

This came out absolutely perfect in my bread machine. Tastes good and is very high in fiber and protein.

2 pound size of bread in a bread machine:

3 tspn of rapid rise dry yeast
    2 cups of whole wheat flour
    1 cup of ground flax seeds
    .5 cups of oat bran
    .5 cups of wheat gluten (75-80% protein)
    2 cups of warm water
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon of salt (needed for the yeast)
    1 tbsp of brown sugar (to activate the yeast)

Mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar and salt together in the bread machine pan. Add the sugar, salt, to the water and add to the mix.
    Then add the eggs. Stir just enough to mix. Program the bread machine for whole wheat setting in a 2 pound (large loaf) size.

Nutritional information to be given soon. Should
    be about 11 grams of protein, 17 carbs, 6 grams of fat (2.5 grams of omega 3's) per slice.
    Some people have a way with words. Other people not have way.

John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    im terrible with calculating macronutrients. do you have any idea how many calories that adds up to?

skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    About 130. When I get home tonight I'll crunch the numbers again. I did calculate the numbers earlier based on adding olive oil. It came out pretty high in fat so I modified the recipe to not include the oil and it turned out just as good.

Now if I want extra fat I can just dip the bread in oil, but if I don't want it I can just eat it plain.

Poppa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This belongs in the Nutrition/diet section!!

Originally posted by Poppa
    This belongs in the Nutrition/diet section!!
    I see your point, but more people hang out here than in the nutrition section. I see it as a good method to take your flax supplement. How is that for a shameless excuse?
    Last edited by skinnyboy; 12-03-2003 at 02:50 PM.

peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    that sounds awesome
    i like it here in the supplement section
    Henry Rollins
    It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron... I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

Sensei Creese:Cobra KAi founder
    Mercy is for the weak, we do not train to be merciful here, a man faces you, he is the enemy, the enemy deserves no mercy...

Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sunder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds great to me!

One question - I know we can't cook with flax oil because it can be carcinogenic. Is that not the same for the seeds? I've seen flax bread before, so maybe not. But maybe they don't know that either?

Just asking.
    You only regret the risks you did not take.

nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nArKeD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Sunder
    Sounds great to me!

One question - I know we can't cook with flax oil because it can be carcinogenic. Is that not the same for the seeds? I've seen flax bread before, so maybe not. But maybe they don't know that either?

Just asking.
    Seeds are safe at baking temperatures not exceeding 350. There is absolutely no degradation.

John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Basedow is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this sounds awesome. how much do bread makers run?

Originally posted by John Basedow
    this sounds awesome. how much do bread makers run?
    $50-100 should get you all you need. Buy a 2 pound capacity, because if you are going to go to all the trouble you might as well make a regular loaf.

Here's some examples. I actually got mine as a gift, but I bought my sister one from overstock dotcom for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...376290-6635212
    Last edited by skinnyboy; 12-03-2003 at 03:12 PM.

i might get this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=289917

i'm at college, so i only cook for myself. when i graduate i'm sure it will be the same case, so it should suffice for a few years.

if i did get a bigger one, would i still be able to make small loaves of bread, or can it only make one size?

ThemoLife Alter Ego SupaNatural's Avatar
    SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by nArKeD
    Seeds are safe at baking temperatures not exceeding 350. There is absolutely no degradation.
    Just wanna know where you got that info from, and if and how it applies to ground/milled seeds. Remember that once they're milled they're no longer just seeds as the oils have how been exposed to the elements.

SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by skinnyboy
    About 130. When I get home tonight I'll crunch the numbers again. I did calculate the numbers earlier based on adding olive oil. It came out pretty high in fat so I modified the recipe to not include the oil and it turned out just as good.

Now if I want extra fat I can just dip the bread in oil, but if I don't want it I can just eat it plain.
    Got a fiber count?

Originally posted by Supa Freek 420
    Got a fiber count?
    5.4 grams of fiber (I should have added that one).

Originally posted by Supa Freek 420
    Just wanna know where you got that info from, and if and how it applies to ground/milled seeds. Remember that once they're milled they're no longer just seeds as the oils have how been exposed to the elements.
    Not the most scientific source but better than nothing. They refer specifically to ground flax seeds.

http://www.silanutrition.com/flaxomfa.html

"The thermal stability of flaxseed has been the focus of recent research, and the answer may surprise you:

although the ALA (alpha-linolenic acid, the parent omega-3 fat) in flax oil can't withstand heat, whole and milled flaxseed is stable under typical baking temperatures (350 F or 178 C) for up to two hours.

Why? First, let's consider the effects of temperature. As a batter or dough bakes, its internal temperature peaks at the point at which the starch gelatinizes. This "gelatinization point" is typically about 203 F (95 C) for a wheat flour-sugar mix. This means that the internal temperature of the baked good does not reach the oven temperature.

The fatty acids in baked goods remain intact when heated for up to two hours at 350 F (178 C), and up to one hour at 662 F (350 C).

Time of baking is also a factor: batters are typically baked for 20-25 minutes, far below experimental conditions."

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

A little difference

I have a 1.5 lb bread machine that I picked up on sale this weekend for 20$. Anyways, i'm a complete ass with math and would like to try this recipe but i'll never be able to figure out how to scew the recipe to fit my bread maker. Ideally i'd say subtract 1/4 from all the stuff and that would work? Or no?

Nutritional info (based on 3 tspns of sugar vs. 1 tbsp above)

servings per loaf: 12 slices

1 slice, 37.3 grams:

Calories: 160
    Total fat: 5.9 grams
    Omega 3's: 2.3 grams
    Total carbs: 20.7 grams
    Fiber: 5.5 grams
    Sugars: 0.8 grams
    Protein: 10.8 grams

Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looks great BUT does it actually taste that good? Like regular bread?

Originally posted by Douche_Nutz
    Looks great BUT does it actually taste that good? Like regular bread?
    No it doesn't taste like regular bread (did you really expect it too?

But I do think it tastes good. It has a nice hearty taste. About half of the people that try it think it tastes good.

Looks Like Chris Benoit musclemidget's Avatar
    musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Great way to eat your flax: Bread machine Super Protein Flax Bread

1 tbsp of brown sugar (to activate the yeast)
    can you replace the brown sugar w/a brown sugar subsitute and get the same results?

Re: Re: Great way to eat your flax: Bread machine Super Protein Flax Bread

Originally posted by musclemidget
    can you replace the brown sugar w/a brown sugar subsitute and get the same results?
    It's too miniscule an amount to worry about IMO, and I'm a low-GI nazi. But to each his own.
    Last edited by Supa Freek 420; 12-04-2003 at 12:35 PM.

Unfortunately you can't. The sugar is necessary to activate (feed) the yeast in the bread. The good news is you aren't really getting all the sugar because the yeast is consuming it.

What you could do is experiment with the minimum amount of sugar necessary to make the bread rise.

AKMoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: Re: Great way to eat your flax: Bread machine Super Protein Flax Bread

Unfortunately you can't. The sugar is necessary to activate (feed) the yeast in the bread. The good news is you aren't really getting all the sugar because the yeast is consuming it.

What you could do is experiment with the minimum amount of sugar necessary to make the bread rise.
    Right, the yeast eats the sugar then farts, thus the bubbles in the bread. Enjoy your yeast flatulence. BTW-What is the nutrition value of yeast farts?

AKMoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You could substitute bee vomit for the sugar.
    Last edited by AKMoose; 12-04-2003 at 04:29 PM.