saspok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet is good, training is extreme, what's missing?

A few weeks ago I decided to try to cut some fat while putting on muscle. I have never really done much cardio. I have a great 4-day lifting split, and I am trying to get in the habit of doing HIIT first thing in the morning 3-days a week.

I log my workouts and my diet everyday in my BodyBlog. I am hoping someone can look at a typical day and let me know if my regimen is good for fat burning.

HIIT is usually a total of about 25 minutes with 5 minutes warm up and 5 minutes cool down. The other times I range from 4 mph to 8 mph to 10 mph, usually with a 1:1 ratio of rest to speed. Not sure if I should do the HIIT the morning after a leg workout?

Another thing I'm wondering about is should I continue taking creatine while cutting. Not looking to compete just yet; I just want decent abs by June 1.

Enough rambling... thanks for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by saspok; 03-21-2007 at 07:32 PM.
    Lift hard, eat right, and don't whine about it.

jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your weight lifting and HIIT should be kept to separate days. to actually gain muscle and lose fat, requires a very strict diet, workout regiment, good supps and a lot of knowledge - unless you can benefit from noob gains.

and take your creatine too.
    Last edited by jay.; 03-21-2007 at 08:21 PM.

ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What are the total calories in your diet? Hard to tell since you didn't list how much steak you eat, or how many ounces the 2 pc of tilapia are total. Why 2 Myoplex Lite shakes at that one meal?

If you do HIIT early in the morning for cardio, do it on off days and treat it like a regular workout: meaning eat as if you were lifting. Cardio fasting does not apply to HIIT since is taxing on the body. As for doing HIIT after a Leg w/o: which would you be willing to let suffer? If you go all out on your legs, you shouldn't be able to give it your all for HIIT, and vice-versa. Bottom line: don't do HIIT on workout days.

Creatine is fine for cutting. Myself and many use it without any issues.

How long have you been back to lifting, 3 months as I thought I read in your bodyspace? You may still continue some noob gains in muscle mass, but like jay said, it requires a strict diet plan....otherwise you will be maintaining what you have. I am sure you have seen in your reading, one usually must decide between losing fat and gaining mass. For you to reach your long term goal will require a few cuts & bulks along the way.

Best to you on reaching your goals.
    RIP My Beloved Son: March 2000 ~ June 2008.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    - Thomas A. Edison

"It's a lifestyle: train like there is no finish line."
    - Steve Katai

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First problem - You only eat two solid meals a day. Some might not say that is a problem, but it is in my book.

Second problem - No mention of macros or total calories consumed. Do you know them? If so, start posting them and tracking them.

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to check my blog.

In January I began learning about the bodybuilding diet. I have tried to stick to a strict diet through regular preparation of meals. I have not yet learned an efficient way to measure all the calories I take in. I probably need to start weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth.

I want to keep things as simple and efficient as possible, so that I increase my chances of sticking with it.

I have been doing HIIT on non-lifting days. I have read a couple sources which say you should do this before consuming food. Is this wrong?

I also usually get at least 3 solid meals a day. The other meals may consist of protein shakes with oatmeal or fruit.

ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by saspok View Post
    I have not yet learned an efficient way to measure all the calories I take in. I probably need to start weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth.

I have been doing HIIT on non-lifting days. I have read a couple sources which say you should do this before consuming food. Is this wrong?
    A digital food scale is a big help. I take mine on trips if I am staying at family's places to help me stay on plan. Be sure it weighs in grams. Here are a few of sites to check for nutritional stats:
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Fasted cardio is done with steady state cardio, not HIIT. HIIT is taxing on the body and should be treated like a regular workout. I eat the same meal plan as I do on lifting days. There is a huge debate on fasted cardio, but here is a good thread about it:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747976
    RIP My Beloved Son: March 2000 ~ June 2008.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    - Thomas A. Edison

"It's a lifestyle: train like there is no finish line."
    - Steve Katai

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    A digital food scale is a big help. I take mine on trips if I am staying at family's places to help me stay on plan. Be sure it weighs in grams. Here are a few of sites to check for nutritional stats:
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
    Thanks for the great info man. I will get a scale as soon as I have the money. I figure I will start cutting all of my meat into chunks to ensure that I get equal amounts in every meal. You think I should only track protein, carbs, and fat? Should I include specifics such as sodium and sugar?

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    Fasted cardio is done with steady state cardio, not HIIT. HIIT is taxing on the body and should be treated like a regular workout. I eat the same meal plan as I do on lifting days.
    Alright, I will try it. Do you think that 4 days of lifting and then HIIT on the other 3 days is too much?