ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout then HIIT

Hey everyone, I have been doing this for a week or two and I have a problem with feeling completely sick. I think its because I don't eat before and my glycogen levels are gone after working out.

at 6 I have a protein shake and go to the gym.
    1 hour workout - whatever I am doing that day
    every other day - HIIT for 20 - 30 min on treadmill

Just before I get on the treadmill I feel really nautious and not good at all. Is this because I have no glycogen left? Does anyone do HIIT after their workout? Should I space them out more, i.e. one in the morning, one at night?

Let me know, thanks.

ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It is recommended to do HIIT on off days. You can do a search to find out more as this has been discussed a lot.

Regarding Pre, During, & PWO Nutrition, read this sticky from the Nutrition forum:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067
    RIP My Beloved Son: March 2000 ~ June 2008.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    - Thomas A. Edison

"It's a lifestyle: train like there is no finish line."
    - Steve Katai

Kenny22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you did a good lifting workout you shouldn't even beable to do a HITT right after it. I did my legs and I .tried a HIIT about 10 minutes after it and I had to cancel my sprint hehe

gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100) gunshow91 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Kenny22 View Post
    If you did a good lifting workout you shouldn't even beable to do a HITT right after it. I did my legs and I .tried a HIIT about 10 minutes after it and I had to cancel my sprint hehe
    after legs yes. but theres no reason you shouldnt be able to do hiit after a chest, arms, or shoulder session

back workout....maybe.

ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gunshow91 View Post
    after legs yes. but theres no reason you shouldnt be able to do hiit after a chest, arms, or shoulder session

back workout....maybe.
    The reason being if you are giving 100% while lifting, you will not be able to give 100% for HIIT. HIIT is as taxing on the body as a workout and should be treated as such.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    - Thomas A. Edison

- Steve Katai

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    The reason being if you are giving 100% while lifting, you will not be able to give 100% for HIIT. HIIT is as taxing on the body as a workout and should be treated as such.
    Exactly. If you can do HIIT after a lifting session, one or both of them are not intense enough.

GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nithos View Post
    Exactly. If you can do HIIT after a lifting session, one or both of them are not intense enough.
    I do HIIT after every lifting session, and while it is tiring, it is still very intense. I don't see why someone can't have an intense lifting session for an hour and have an intense 20 min of HIIT after. I mean I understand that after an intense lifting session someone will be tired, but they shouldn't be colapsing on the ground with no strength left. HIIT after lifting is a REAL bitch, but IMO isn't impossible, since I do it Mon, Tue,Thur,and Fri. (Just cardio Wed) Just because I have an insanely intense day of traing Chest and triceps, why can't I use a stairmaster after??
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    One of my favorite quotes:
    "NEVER compare yourself to other people, its only going to cause frustration. Compare you to you. Where you are now vs a few months ago. If you are stronger than you were perfect, if not, work harder..."
    -quoted from genepool

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I guess it's just a different understand of what an intense workout is, or maybe your body recovers faster than mine. But my CNS system is shot after my typical lifting session, I can barely handle low/mod intensity cardio without forcing myself mentally.

Out of curiosity, mind posting your routine (reps/weights/rest) and HIIT?
    Last edited by nithos; 03-22-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Originally Posted by GP2001 View Post
    I do HIIT after every lifting session, and while it is tiring, it is still very intense. I don't see why someone can't have an intense lifting session for an hour and have an intense 20 min of HIIT after. I mean I understand that after an intense lifting session someone will be tired, but they shouldn't be colapsing on the ground with no strength left. HIIT after lifting is a REAL bitch, but IMO isn't impossible, since I do it Mon, Tue,Thur,and Fri. (Just cardio Wed) Just because I have an insanely intense day of traing Chest and triceps, why can't I use a stairmaster after??
    I would bet you would have a much better HIIT session if you did it by itself on an off day.

Personally, I don't really care what you do (it is all up to you), but I will say though that your HIIT session is not as effective as it would be if you did it on an off day. It physically can't be as effective because of what you already expended during your workout.

- Thomas A. Edison

- Steve Katai

ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright, thanks. I was just wondering if I would burn more fat because my glycogen levels would already be depleted.

Originally Posted by ItTakesTime View Post
    Alright, thanks. I was just wondering if I would burn more fat because my glycogen levels would already be depleted.
    General Idea: It would burn more fat, but you also risk burning muscle as well.

hm...interesting

mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a tough workout last night and then attempted HIIT. I got like 6 minutes into it and said screw it. There's only so much I can do before dropping dead.

GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nithos View Post
    I can barely handle low/mod intensity cardio without forcing myself mentally.
    Forcing myself mentally is a BIG part of it for me. Its those times when im 15 minutes into HIIT after already lifting really hard for an hour when I think " I'm exhausted, I want to stop" but force myself to finish and not slow down. The more I do it, the easier it gets...It all comes down to how much drive and determination you have, at least thats what it is for me...
    "NEVER compare yourself to other people, its only going to cause frustration. Compare you to you. Where you are now vs a few months ago. If you are stronger than you were perfect, if not, work harder..."
    -quoted from genepool

nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100) nutzo is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by GP2001 View Post
    I totally agree, I hit it hard with the iron and while I've just started HIIT training I have been able to do it so far at the end of my workout.
    "Obsessed" is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

I would bet you would have a much better HIIT session if you did it by itself on an off day.
    Agreed, its quite obvious that if someone is "fresh" so to speak then they will be able to work harder. I just think that too many people think you CAN'T do HIIT after lifting, like its physically impossible. It is harder, and you are clearly going to be more tired, but its nowhere near impossible. It just feels like everyone is saying after lifting you should be collapsing on the ground and unable to move, which unless you go for 4 hours for your first day ever touching a weight, IMO that should'nt be the case.
    -quoted from genepool

R U looking at ma pint? FatScottishGuy's Avatar
    FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Personally, I don't really care what you do (it is all up to you), but I will say though that your HIIT session is not as effective as it would be if you did it on an off day. It physically can't be as effective because of what you already expended during your workout.
    QFT

No one said that you physically cannot do a HIIT session after weights but
    1 - It will be very very physically and mentally demanding.
    2 - You will not be able to do full intensity.
    3 - You will be putting yourself on the fast track to burn out.
    Why do this to yourself? It?s been said before, and it?s so true I will say it again. Loosing fat is a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to push your body too hard it will punish you by burning out.