MarkB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What length Barbell to go for

I'm looking at purchasing a Barbell, one that I plan to use for things like Bench Press and Barbell Curl. Are there varied types of lengths of Barbells and generally speaking, what length should I go for.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Olympic barbells come in about 3 lengths that I know of. 5, 6 and 7 feet. If you're benching you should use the 7 footer. For biceps it might be awkward. I have a nice 5 footer for that which feel great for curls. Or you can use and EZ curl bar for curls. That's about 4 feet I think.

Good luck.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

MarkB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the help Overload. So generally speaking, I should perhaps get two of them, a 5ft and 7ft?

I'll be doing some shopping, X-Mas holidays are upon us, so plenty of time to make a good choice and perhaps pick up a good deal. Heh, I'm trying to build up my collection and home so I can workout from home. I'll also need to get a bench, I think there are ones which are adjustable so you can perform incline exercizes on them too.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My pleasure. I love all this stuff. Equipment, exercises, etc. I workout from home also and have added a lot of stuff over the summer.

Yeah, I like having the 5' bar around. Comes in handy for curls and it's even less awkward for bent over rows. It's still a nice hefty 30lb bar so it can hold a lot of weight.

Check around places like ebay, new york barbells.com and fitnessfactoryoutlet.com. Those are my 3 favorite online places for equipment.

I get my plates at Walmart of all places. They have great Olympic plates with the grip for easy loading and unloading. And the price is cheapest around for me.

I have a couple of Powertec and Yukon Fitness products and I'm impressed with their quality and how solid they are. I'm a big powertec fan.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron