Hummer1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain in my shins from running

About 4 weeks ago I started to include running in my workouts, but lately I have this annoying pain in my shins everytime I run.
    My guess is that I have these pains because I have never really run on a regular basis before and my lower legs arent really used to that yet, so they ache.
    Is this normal or should I see a doctor about this ??

FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFactory will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sounds like shin splints. I'd go easy on them, I wouldn't do any sort of impact cardio like running. I'd recommend riding a stationary bike or an eliptical trainer.
    Micah

Originally posted by FFactory
    sounds like shin splints. I'd go easy on them, I wouldn't do any sort of impact cardio like running. I'd recommend riding a stationary bike or an eliptical trainer.
    Micah
    What are shin splints ?? And yeah Im already considering exchanging running for a rowing machine . By the way, will it heal by itself if I give it enough rest.

Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eva07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ahhhhhhh... my specialty.

You, my friend, have shin splints. You might not THINK that you have any sort of muscle in the front of your shins, but you do. VERY little, and they are mostly tendons. What happens is that the tendons in your ankles aren't use to what you are doing yet, so take it easy for a while.

Also, if you are running UPhill, then you can get shin splints very easily. So on the treadmill, put the thinig level, and just run faster.

Lastly, if you want to devote some time to get your shins better here is an exercise: using a stretch rope, inner tube, anything stretchy. Now put the thing on the ground, but hold on the the ends (like you were going to jump rope) then step on it with one foot. Now lift up the two ends to apply upward pressure on your foot. Now do U motions with your toes. Do this for about a minute on each foot. Repeat. You shoot feel the pressure on your shins. Do this about three times a week and you should never have shin splints again.

If you are just a beginning runner, then shin splints are natural. They will go away without any work if you take your running slow.

Hope this helps/.

Originally posted by Eva07
    Ahhhhhhh... my specialty.

You, my friend, have shin splints. You might not THINK that you have any sort of muscle in the front of your shins, but you do. VERY little, and they are mostly tendons. What happens is that the tendons in your ankles aren't use to what you are doing yet, so take it easy for a while.

Also, if you are running UPhill, then you can get shin splints very easily. So on the treadmill, put the thinig level, and just run faster.

Lastly, if you want to devote some time to get your shins better here is an exercise: using a stretch rope, inner tube, anything stretchy. Now put the thing on the ground, but hold on the the ends (like you were going to jump rope) then step on it with one foot. Now lift up the two ends to apply upward pressure on your foot. Now do U motions with your toes. Do this for about a minute on each foot. Repeat. You shoot feel the pressure on your shins. Do this about three times a week and you should never have shin splints again.

If you are just a beginning runner, then shin splints are natural. They will go away without any work if you take your running slow.

Hope this helps/.
    Thanx, this helped me a lot. I guess I went a little overboard when I began running, but I'll take it easy for a while.
    Great info !!

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    search for shin splints in the sports forum there is one thread with loads of great remedies...

zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to get that, do you run on the street, it went away after a while, maybe they got stronger,
    More Testicles Means More Iron - Lunch Lady Dorris

rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

new shoes

I had bad shin splints when I started running - a good pair of shoes can make all the difference. There are a lot of stores out there that specialize in running. Most of these stores have a doctor or at least expert that can looka t your build, feet, stride, etc and find a shoe that helps