Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000)

Music : The Forgotten Supplement

I was perusing through the new Muscle Media (as though there is anything worth reading in there), and came across an article on the benefits of music upon a workout. This should not be a surprise to anyone, as your potential for physical exertion, is intimately involved with your mood. I mention this, for the fact, that their musical recommendations were utterly atrocious ,in my opinion, so I though that it would be interesting to list some of the best workout music (that I listen to, at least, and others can do the same). The only thing that I truly miss about working out at home (in the basement), is the personal choice of which music to play. For some reason, listening to Sugar Ray, or Pearl Jam ,does not cut it while I am at Bally's.

1)Slayer:"Reign in Blood". This album is potent enough to encite a riot at a nursing home.
    2)Black Sabbath: "Mob Rules". Classic, old school heavy metal. Sabbath was better off with Dio.
    3)Black Sabbath: "Heaven and Hell". More Dio fronted Sabbath.
    4)Rainbow: "Richie Blackmore's Rainbow". 70's era rock (they just don't make it like they used to).Rainbow ,was also better off with Dio.
    5)Any old school Iron Maiden album, or Motorhead album, will also suffice.

If any of the afore mentioned were played in my gym, I gather that I would be at least 15 pounds heavier by now, and squating 100 pounds more. Off to the gym I go now (hoping that I am not greeted by the wails of the new Uber-Boy band)

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)
    Throw in a little priest, and Dokken
    onto that list and I'm there!
    Never quit!

Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Blacksmith
    Throw in a little priest, and Dokken
    onto that list and I'm there!
    I can't believe that I forgot Priest. I can't wait until they release the remaster of "Painkiller". Oh, well, time to go to Bally's.

MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pantera

TrainingHard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rocky IV soundtrack
    Last edited by TrainingHard; 03-13-2002 at 12:47 PM.

supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supnut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've heard that your body tends to adapt to certainmusic by matching your hear rate to the tempo. Not sure if this is true but it could lead to a better pump I supose. In that case I would have to recomend techno
    Nothing is ever easy

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by supnut
    I've heard that your body tends to adapt to certainmusic by matching your hear rate to the tempo.
    If this were true, Air Supply would be in jail for mass murder .
    Never quit!

Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have the misfortune to belonging to 24 Hour Fitness.. and someone needs to beat the **** out of whoever chooses their music.. they play Enya for Gods sake... Enya's great when Im screwin my girl or something, but not when Im under the squat rack...
    Last edited by Anxed; 03-13-2002 at 01:00 PM.
    Anxed

Pull another face
    rip another hide
    steal the waning moon
    from a dying bride
    all the world must die
    all the world must die
    ripped and skinned alive...

2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah, the benefits of a home gym.

Fear Factory
    Pantera
    Tool
    KMFDM
    Prong
    Sepultura
    Down
    Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath
    Deftones
    Michael Bolton
    Filter
    Ministry
    Ozzy
    Air Supply
    Anthrax
    Iron Maiden
    AC/DC
    Helmet
    Yanni
    Sevendust
    Metallica
    Mudvayne
    System of a Down
    Megadeth
    Van Halen

Just kidding on three of those.

MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MadChild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At the gym they have a radio station schedule where they play rock and then the girly stuff. I always feel sad when I walk into a "Hot 103" workout with all the chick music playing, I know it won't be as intense than if they were playing some good music.

Originally posted by 2demon2
    Ah, the benefits of a home gym.

Fear Factory
    Pantera
    Tool
    KMFDM
    Prong
    Sepultura
    Down
    Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath
    Deftones
    Michael Bolton
    Filter
    Ministry
    Ozzy
    Air Supply
    Anthrax
    Iron Maiden
    AC/DC
    Helmet
    Yanni
    Sevendust
    Metallica
    Mudvayne
    System of a Down
    Megadeth
    Van Halen

Just kidding on three of those.
    Touché
    Never quit!

If you are really insane, or are really trying to hurt yourself from extreme aggression while lifting, you can also try: Deicide, Morbid Angel (Dave Vincent era), and Cannibal Corpse (George Fisher era).

Old school Metal, and Death Metal, are good in general (Venom, Possessed, Celtic Frost, etc..).

2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do listen to some death and doom, but there comes a point where music is so "heavy" that it's too muddy to conjure aggression. This is why, to me, Pantera is much, much more adept at stimulating aggression and energy than, say, Cannibal Corpse. Hell, even some '80s hair metal gets me more pumped than some so-called "heavy" music.

With that said, I still enjoy the genre. Have you ever heard of a death band called Terminal Plan? I've heard one track from them and love it, but I've never found them elsewhere.

K (same) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I listen to my own moan, groan and curse.

Originally posted by 2demon2
    I do listen to some death and doom, but there comes a point where music is so "heavy" that it's too muddy to conjure aggression. This is why, to me, Pantera is much, much more adept at stimulating aggression and energy than, say, Cannibal Corpse. Hell, even some '80s hair metal gets me more pumped than some so-called "heavy" music.

With that said, I still enjoy the genre. Have you ever heard of a death band called Terminal Plan? I've heard one track from them and love it, but I've never found them elsewhere.
    No, I have not heard of them. The Death/Black metal scene petered out after too many people tried to imitate Corpse and Mayhem (and Emperor as well; there are too many major and minor bands to remember). Do you know if they are old school, or new?

I also realized, as I grew older, that aggresive music had to be in a balanced, rythmic manner, in order for it to have any productive effect upon your weight lifting routine(if it is too fast, or too complex, it is hard to match your rythm to it, unless, that is, you are purposefully trying to tear your joints out of their sockets). If you like Pantera for that reason (rythmic, and measured riffs), you can try Grave (from Sweden), or Sinister (from Germany), as they are more or less Pantera on crack (controlled, measured riffs, with a more moderate tempo).

"Souless", from Grave (found on the album of the same name), is probably the most violent, mid-tempo song that I have ever heard. It is the prelude for war!! (or a good workout at least)

brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000)
    My only comment, if you do carry a cd player to the gym to help drown out the terrible music they play, please do NOT play the air guitar...

Thanks for the suggestions, Dante. I'll have to check them out. I'm always looking for new music.

Regarding Terminal Plan, I'd imagine just from their sound that they're new-school.

Originally posted by brwnsuga
    My only comment, if you do carry a cd player to the gym to help drown out the terrible music they play, please do NOT play the air guitar...
    I only do this during a Dave Murray/Adrian Smith inspired Maiden solo

On another note, for those of you that enjoy European Metal bands, I urge you to check out the female-fronted, Finnish band, Nightwish (Tarja is a goddess!!).

Swedens Therion, is the most amazing band (my favourite band, period), in the metal scene. Chrisopher Johnsson (the writer/composer) melds heavy metal, with classical inspired choirs and orchestras. Breathtaking! "Theli", "Vovin", "Deggial", "The Crowning of Atlantis", and the recent "Secret of the Runes", are all Avant-garde classical/metal masterpieces.

Their lastest album, "Secret of the Runes", is based upon Nordic mythology, and is a bombastic synthesis of complex choral arrangments, melded with orchestral and metal arrangments. This is the type of music that one would listen to preparing to do battle, with the hopes of entering "Valhalla". I can not say enough about this band (great inspirational music ; thinking music; and perhaps, workout music).

yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    RAGE AGAINST MACHINE -- their old stuff is bad-ass

ToroBill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Salutations Fellow Lifters--

I have to agree with you guys on the subject of music - If anyone's looking for that added push, music seems to do the job. After being stuck at work for 8 or 9 freakin' hours, it's nice to run over to the gym with your MP3 player in hand, and crank up those jams - instead of listening to Wham or Air Supply on the general system in the gym(I swear those dudes handling the controls on the system are gay).

I prefer to listen to some old, vintage(if you will) music--

Rush - All The World's A Stage(Live), Hemispheres
    Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock-N-Roll, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabath
    AC/DC - Back In Black
    Metallica - Ride The Lighting
    Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik

These happy tunes seem to put me in the mood for crunching someone's skull, I mean doing skull crushers....

CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CadeFosterFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i cant believe people still remember dokken LOL

and F*CK rage against the machine

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by dantebattista

No, I have not heard of them. The Death/Black metal scene petered out after too many people tried to imitate Corpse and Mayhem (and Emperor as well; there are too many major and minor bands to remember). Do you know if they are old school, or new?

I also realized, as I grew older, that aggresive music had to be in a balanced, rythmic manner, in order for it to have any productive effect upon your weight lifting routine(if it is too fast, or too complex, it is hard to match your rythm to it, unless, that is, you are purposefully trying to tear your joints out of their sockets). If you like Pantera for that reason (rythmic, and measured riffs), you can try Grave (from Sweden), or Sinister (from Germany), as they are more or less Pantera on crack (controlled, measured riffs, with a more moderate tempo).

"Souless", from Grave (found on the album of the same name), is probably the most violent, mid-tempo song that I have ever heard. It is the prelude for war!! (or a good workout at least)
    Grave and Sinister used to be two of my favorite bands! It's great workout music because it's as heavy as hell. Sometimes Sinister sound too muddy and jumbled to get you pumped up. If you're into death metal check out At The Gates (not around anymore) and The Haunted. Metal, hardcore, and punk are the best kind of music to get you fired up for an intense workout.

The "Slaughter of the Soul" album, by the Gothenburg, At-The Gates is a godly album. Check out the song "Blinded by Fear", from that record.

furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i agree with everyone, and listening to some hardcore music gives me an edge into a hardcore lifting session. You see, I work out at a gym that constantly blasts the latest tunes from the Backstreet Boys, Nsync and other various **** of the same type. Most of the time I'll bring my own custom mix and zone out in the headphones, but sometimes I'll leave the cd player at home intentionally. Why? Well, after about fifteen minutes of Hanson and all the teenie bopper garbage, I'm ready to tear thru a brick wall. I get extremely motivated when I picture myself with my giant biceps around justin timberlake's head, popping it like the overripe pimple that he is.

frawalte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

c'mon....

Not once did I hear Tool. If you want to get into a zone, and get a great workout, throw Undertow or Ǽnima on.

Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Manteca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you boys listen to some ****ed up music, any techno lovers on here? Good point though dante, music can be a great motivator.

Re: c'mon....

Originally posted by frawalte
    Not once did I hear Tool. If you want to get into a zone, and get a great workout, throw Undertow or Ǽnima on.
    Look harder.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I feel the exact same way as Dante.

if i didn't get bombarded witht he same **** everys single ****ing workout i would easily be 10 lbs heavier.

I do not want to hear any boy band, i do not want to hear jenifer lopez, ja rule, Britney, or any other dance ****.

Sometimes i get luck and hear Zepplin or GnR.

I make sure to listen to good stuff on my way to the gym and drown out everything else around me when i get there.

Im a youngin so im all about punk.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

Registered User AnthonyGoldsGym's Avatar
    AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    'N Sync, just in case my workout alone isn't intense enough to make me upchuck.

I actually agree that music is very effective at giving you adrenalin help, but my gym plays pretty ****ty music and I never understood that. All the complaining never changes things, either. Without a walkman there, you're screwed.

I listen mostly to Metallica, Queensryche, GNR and techno.
    Last edited by AnthonyGoldsGym; 03-13-2002 at 10:56 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Pics Thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51434&highlight=august