Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Wanting to increase deadlift and squat with ab exercise!!!

I'm 6'3" 180 lbs...Squat 225-5 reps...For the last 5 years I have been doing crunches only as my ab workout...When I squat my ab core won't support heavier weight, but my legs can. I want to strengthen my core...Will someone recommend an ab workout or exercise for this?
    Do what you think that you can not do!

Self Confidence, Initiative,
    and Calculated Risk = Success!

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    are you certain it's not a problem with your form. (i.e., leaning foward)

even if you've never worked abs before you shouldn't have a problem with weights > 2plates
    Booo

Here_s johnny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suspect it's your flexibility(or lack there of) that is your problem. start with a weight that you can take ALL the way down, or do overhead squats for a month or two. I doubt your core is so weak. I'm thinking it's just tight.

Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rig Filler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    are you certain it's not a problem with your form. (i.e., leaning foward)

even if you've never worked abs before you shouldn't have a
    problem with weights > 2plates

When I squat I feel as though my legs can lift more. But I can not... I dont think its my form or the streching. It's the abs...

Originally posted by Here's johnny
    I would suspect it's your flexibility(or lack there of) that is your problem. start with a weight that you can take ALL the way down, or do overhead squats for a month or two. I doubt your core is so weak. I'm thinking it's just tight.

The core needs work its not the form or how far I am going down.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    would certainly agree just work your way back up on good form...

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Rig Filler
    When I squat I feel as though my legs can lift more. But I can not... I dont think its my form or the streching. It's the abs...
    it's your form probably- learn box squatting for proper form-
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_120squat.html
    Booo

Originally posted by amusclehead
    it's your form probably- learn box squatting for proper form-
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_120squat.html

Thanks for the great article...

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ba-dump bump ching reguardless of tight or weak core this helps

about a month ago i hit a sticking point in my squat. I weigh 220, and 185 was hard to do for 6 reps, and my legs were not the weakness. Replaced heavy squatting with heavy deadlifting for back strength and a couple light sets of squatting. Also doing overhead squats on back day now as they really do work my back. My weight distribution is also getting better in OHS and that should transfer nicely over to conventional squat.

I am going to chalk a bit of this one up to height, but I should've also been doing more regular deadlifting before this.

Ya live, ya learn.
    Last edited by ahab; 11-24-2003 at 11:09 PM.
    I'd rather be lifting.

zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do leg raises from a chinning bar,

Lift your legs perpendicular to your upper body, hold it a few seconds then move your legs down slow and do over again,

Consentrate on staying rigid dont swing,

Its very hard at first but builds great strengh,
    More Testicles Means More Iron - Lunch Lady Dorris

Originally posted by zall
    Do leg raises from a chinning bar,

Lift your legs perpendicular to your upper body, hold it a few seconds then move your legs down slow and do over again,

Consentrate on staying rigid dont swing,

Its very hard at first but builds great strengh,
    Finally, thank you for answering my question...

Originally posted by ahab
    Ba-dump bump ching reguardless of tight or weak core this helps

about a month ago i hit a sticking point in my squat. I weigh 220, and 185 was hard to do for 6 reps, and my legs were not the weakness. Replaced heavy squatting with heavy deadlifting for back strength and a couple light sets of squatting. Also doing overhead squats on back day now as they really do work my back. My weight distribution is also getting better in OHS and that should transfer nicely over to conventional squat.

I am going to chalk a bit of this one up to height, but I should've also been doing more regular deadlifting before this.

Ya live, ya learn.
    Right now, I am doing deadlifts...Never heard of the OHS...Sounds good! Is there a link for this exercise that you can refer me too?

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...headSquat.html

Try it with just the barbell for a few weeks until you feel your form is perfect.
    I'd rather be lifting.

Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceaze is on a distinguished road. (+10)