BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Is Deli Slices Turkey Breast good for you?

Im trying to lose some weight. I was was eating Peanut Butter Sandwiches on Whole Wheat toast for protein but i thought maybe slices deli turkey breast would be better. is it. I looked the nutritional facts on fitday and it said it was:
    89calories,2gfat, 0carb,18protein for 1 cup or 1 slices. Does this sound right?
    Thanks

bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yep, as far as a good lean protein source it is excellent...if your concerned about your health...read the sodium content

if your not concerned about your health, then dont read the sodium content lol

Ouija has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't want to create a new topic, so could someone tell me on average, how many calories, protein and carbs are in a slice of deli turkey? I'm creating a diet and this would really help me out.
    What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

Registered User The Transporter's Avatar
    The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Transporter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deli meat would do in a pinch but it's HIGHLY processed so I'd try to avoid it. See if you can get fresh turkey from the deli and eat that instead. There's a cafe around the corner from my office that cooks up three or four turkeys a day and you can get great sandwiches that way. Lucky find for me.

Motivation has returned Mikey Palmice's Avatar
    Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigD11 View Post
    Im trying to lose some weight. I was was eating Peanut Butter Sandwiches on Whole Wheat toast for protein but i thought maybe slices deli turkey breast would be better. is it. I looked the nutritional facts on fitday and it said it was:
    Thanks
    from what I understand, deli slices are loaded with salt

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigD11 View Post
    Thanks
    At least be selective in your choice of products ... avoid nitrates ... not all deli meat is created equal ...

This isn't meant to be a fear mongering, but something to integrate into your decision making ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276/
    Sodium nitrite helps prevent the growth of Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism in humans and is also used alone or in conjunction with sodium nitrate as a color fixative in cured meat and poultry products (bologna, hot dogs, bacon). During the cooking process, nitrites combine with amines naturally present in meat to form carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds. It is also suspected that nitrites can combine with amines in the human stomach to form N-nitroso compounds. These compounds are known carcinogens and have been associated with cancer of the oral cavity, urinary bladder, eso****us, stomach and brain.

Research in Sweden found that Swedes who ate on average three ounces of processed meat each day had a 15 percent greater chance of developing stomach cancer than those who consumed two ounces or less. Results of a study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of Southern California reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (2005;97:1458-65) of 190,000 people, ages 45 to 75, for seven years state that those who ate the most processed meat (bacon, ham, cold cuts) had a 68% higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least. “Most” was defined as at least 0.6 ounce processed meat, one ounce beef or 0.3 ounce pork per 1,000 calories consumed.

Dieticians suggest that you can help reduce the possible cancer-causing effects of sodium nitrite by consuming protective antioxidants before meals, such as vitamin C and vitamin E. But, remember, no vitamin offers 100% protection.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Assuming your active its completely fine, the sodium concern is blown way out of proportion..

Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't say deli turkey breast is bad for you. It's convenient if you're lazy or want a snack.I like to make turkey sandwiches with Ezekiel hamburger buns which are awesome. Usually throw 4 slices of turkey breast which is around 22g of protein and maybe 2 slices of lean natural turkey bacon which is around 10g of protein. The Ezekiel bread is also complete protein.

Metabolism>Speed of Light xl Achilles lx's Avatar
    xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PatMac View Post
    Assuming your active its completely fine, the sodium concern is blown way out of proportion..
    A BIG x2 on that one.

Fresh deli meats such as turkey are delicious and incredibly healthy. If you're exercising (running, HIIT, weight lifting) you really shouldn't worry about the amount of sodium in certain foods. My family can't restock our deli meat supply fast enough when I'm around, it's a huge staple in my diet.

Bottom line, if you've had past family complications due to high blood pressure, be wary of sodium, if not, don't worry about it.

Registered User RippedLikePaper's Avatar
    RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedLikePaper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anything you buy from the grocery store delis has a huge amount of sodium in it......thats how they preserve it
    _THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND_

kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RippedLikePaper View Post
    Anything you buy from the grocery store delis has a huge amount of sodium in it......thats how they preserve it
    x2, i've given up trying to find low sodum lean sandwhich meat. as of now im not even sure it exists. the only other possible option i can think of is to buy a whole frozen turkey/chicken, roast that sucker, and slice off your own sandwhich meat.
    Rep Back 1k+ ....just sayin

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance."

self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by kamjah View Post
    x2, i've given up trying to find low sodum lean sandwhich meat. as of now im not even sure it exists. the only other possible option i can think of is to buy a whole frozen turkey/chicken, roast that sucker, and slice off your own sandwhich meat.
    at my local Hyvee they have 4 different low"er" sodium type of meats. The only probelm is that the roast beef is like 7.99 a pound.
    Success isn't a goal, it is a by-product. - coach Eric Taylor

The one and only secret to my training is that I hate my body. Once you look in the mirror and say I like what I see, you've lost the battle. - Dr. Cox (Scrubs)

Time to get big!!!

Lift heavy or don't lift Lotto20's Avatar
    Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lotto20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i eat deli meat all the time....at least 3 sandwiches daily...i luv cajun chicken and turkey breast........
    Personal Bests
    Bench - 340
    Deadlift - 515
    Squat - 405

Currently cutting
    Start - 233
    Current - 227 March26th 2010