Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cottage Cheese and Sodium

Speaking of cottage cheese...

Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. No arguments from me there. But what's with the insanely high sodium content? 450mg per 1/2 cup??? That just seems like a bum deal. Only 13 grams of protein at the cost of 450mg of sodium. So if I want two servings, that's 900mg of sodium (or 38% of my daily total). That's equivalent to 8oz of tuna (which gives you way more protein by the way). Why don't I just add cup of noodles and bisquick to my diet while I'm at it (both ridiculously high in sodium).

So the question is, can you get low sodium cottage cheese? If so, where? Because it isn't at my grocery store.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there really isn't any reason to worry about your sodium unless you are precontest. I think too many people worry about sodium. I don't advise adding salts to food but unless your going to the beach tommorow i wouldn't stress it

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by TheSupaKorean
    there really isn't any reason to worry about your sodium unless you are precontest. I think too many people worry about sodium. I don't advise adding salts to food but unless your going to the beach tommorow i wouldn't stress it
    Too much sodium leads to high blood pressure and heart problems. You need to be conscious of sodium intake. Just because we body build doesn't mean we are at a lower risk for these problems later in life.

Forgive me for pulling out a soapbox but... this is a serious beef I have with bodybuilding dieting advice in general. I want to look built just as much as the other guy, but not at the expense of my health. Do you want to be buff now and die before your time? Or do you want to be a little less buff now (but still look good) and live to be an old man? That's where I'm coming from.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by ahadabans
    Too much sodium leads to high blood pressure and heart problems. You need to be conscious of sodium intake. Just because we body build doesn't mean we are at a lower risk for these problems later in life.

Forgive me for pulling out a soapbox but... this is a serious beef I have with bodybuilding dieting advice in general. I want to look built just as much as the other guy, but not at the expense of my health. Do you want to be buff now and die before your time? Or do you want to be a little less buff now (but still look good) and live to be an old man? That's where I'm coming from.
    Don't eat the cottage cheese if it bothers you that much. Sorry if my advice offended you. While on one side of course if you eat arse loads of sodium it is unhealthy, i still feel for someone to not want to eat cottage cheese due to a little extra sodium is ridiculous.

Wish me luck with my blood pressure and heart problems i am going to experience by not rinsing my tuna and by eating cottage cheese at night.
    Last edited by TheSupaKorean; 11-18-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Don't eat the cottage cheese if it bothers you that much. Sorry if my advice offended you. While on one side of course if you eat arse loads of sodium it is unhealthy, i still feel for someone to not want to eat cottage cheese due to a little extra sodium is ridiculous.

Wish me luck with my blood pressure and heart problems i am going to experience by not rinsing my tuna and by eating cottage cheese at night.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to snap. That wasn't fair. It's been a long week.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Sorry. Didn't mean to snap. That wasn't fair. It's been a long week.
    wow my post came off different than i wanted too. Best of luck, didn't mean to come off harsh either

AKMoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I Eat This...

Lucerne No Salt Added Cottage Cheese

Serving Size 1/2 cup
    Fat 1.5g
    Sodium 45mg
    Carb 4g
    Protein 14g

Wink

wow my post came off different than i wanted too. Best of luck, didn't mean to come off harsh either
    That happens a lot on message boards I've noticed. Best of luck to you as well.

And if you find low sodium cottage cheese somewhere, let me know.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Re: I Eat This...

Originally posted by AKMoose
    Lucerne No Salt Added Cottage Cheese

Serving Size 1/2 cup
    Fat 1.5g
    Sodium 45mg
    Carb 4g
    Protein 14g
    Nice!

Now why the hell doesn't my grocery store carry this? The bastards.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the cc i get doesnt even say how much sodium it has lol

but what am i gonna do ... its a good source of protein... i just dont add any salt to any of my food (except a little maybe to eggs) to compensate for that

Originally posted by Liquid
    the cc i get doesnt even say how much sodium it has lol

but what am i gonna do ... its a good source of protein... i just dont add any salt to any of my food (except a little maybe to eggs) to compensate for that
    Same here. But be wary of canned products especially. Almost all have very high sodium content. That doesn't mean you have to give up tuna or canned beans (both good sources of protein), just be aware that a diet composed of a lot of processed/canned foods is likely to go overboard on sodium even without adding additional salt to your food.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

AKMoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: I Eat This...

Nice!

Now why the hell doesn't my grocery store carry this? The bastards.
    Many grocery stores will special order things for you. Just ask the manager if they can get it. Figure out how much you need every week and have them order you up a couple of cases. BTW-The grocery chain that carries this is Safeway.

Re: Re: Re: I Eat This...

Many grocery stores will special order things for you. Just ask the manager if they can get it. Figure out how much you need every week and have them order you up a couple of cases. BTW-The grocery chain that carries this is Safeway.
    Cool. Thanks!
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Re: Re: Re: I Eat This...

ya right? they will do that?

So i can go up to Price Chopper's manager and tell them i want natty pb in there? And low sodium cc? And egg whites from costco?

turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50) turgon will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Re: Re: Re: I Eat This...

Originally posted by Liquid
    ya right? they will do that?

So i can go up to Price Chopper's manager and tell them i want natty pb in there? And low sodium cc? And egg whites from costco?
    Sure you can ask.

Now, whether they will DO it, is a different matter. :-) The large stores need/like to buy in bulk; if you can convince them that others besides you will purchase that product, they might place a small test order. If it sells well, they might start carrying it regularly.
    "Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
    So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
    - "When you were young", Del Amitri

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have been looking for lower sodium cottage cheese for a while. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

For now, I have pretty much given up on limiting my sodium intake, pretty much eating ridiculous amounts. My one hope is that there will continue to be an increased awareness of the need to reduce sodium in foods over time. I see this as a trend going strong now and one that will continue well into the future.

Eventually, maybe it will actually be convenient to get low sodium varieties of things. Btw, I do wash the sodium off tuna. Works pretty well. lol
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) user88812 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    An article I found about sodium and bodybuilding:

"What a bum rap sodium commonly known as plain ole ‘salt’ has taken. Consider the average male needs at least 3000 mgs a day, the larger bodybuilder who loses the mineral via sweat probably needs a heck of lot more – like 6000 mgs daily. The benefit; sodium is extremely vital in stimulating a special pumping action that drives glucose into muscles to make muscle glycogen. The more you can get those pumps flowing, the less likely glucose will be stored as body fat. Need some anecdotal advice; how many bodybuilders carbed like crazy for a contest only to appear flat and uncut? A high salt intake after the show generally causes their muscles to almost burst as salt is needed to carb the body up. Use the shaker liberally at each meal, drink plenty of water to avoid a puffy look, and you’ll get bigger rather than fatter."

Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Doesn't cottage cheese contain a fair amount of potassium too?

bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to work as a receiver at a grocery store a couple yrs ago. (the guy who handles all the trucks of stock and all the ordering) We ordered stuff for people all the time, you would be suprised what is available from a grocery warehouse. If we carried like 4 or 5 types of a product, say pasta for example. There were probably 100 brands available for order.

Give it a shot you might be suprised. Your gonna need the exact name though, otherwise it may not show up in the computer. Some searches don't find everything!

Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eLJaKo
    I used to work as a receiver at a grocery store a couple yrs ago. (the guy who handles all the trucks of stock and all the ordering) We ordered stuff for people all the time, you would be suprised what is available from a grocery warehouse. If we carried like 4 or 5 types of a product, say pasta for example. There were probably 100 brands available for order.

Give it a shot you might be suprised. Your gonna need the exact name though, otherwise it may not show up in the computer. Some searches don't find everything!

Great post!
    And you are SO RIGHT!
    Actually, my Wife is a grocery store Manager, and she can order certain items for folks. As you said, it needs to be ordered correclty though (proper name, etc.).
    I see that this brand was mentioned a while ago, but is anyone still eating this cottage cheese: Lucerne No Salt Added Cottage Cheese?
    Thx,
    Ben
    I'm back, committed, and starting at square 1!!!

Ben N's Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=801813

http://www.AAWsales.com/

ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ImPumpingIron has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Drink lots of water if your worried about the sodium content in the cottage cheese. I always drink 1 gallon- 1.5 gallons a day.
    LIFT HARD, LIFT SMART, LEAVE EDUCATED!!!

My supplement review thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2109421

My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in my competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitation at all.

-Arnold Schwarzeneggar

"When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"
    - Arnold Schwarzeneggar

alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ben N
    Great post!

I see that this brand was mentioned a while ago, but is anyone still eating this cottage cheese: Lucerne No Salt Added Cottage Cheese?
    Ben
    Yeah any more info about that and possibly where to find it? I get a rediculous 4000-5000mgs of sodium a day without salting anything and I need some ways to lower it dramatically.

Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ben N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alexclark
    Yeah any more info about that and possibly where to find it? I get a rediculous 4000-5000mgs of sodium a day without salting anything and I need some ways to lower it dramatically.

Hi Alex,
    I just found this thread, which mentions a few stores that have No Salt Added versions:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...12033&t=590712
    I'm back, committed, and starting at square 1!!!

Ben N's Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=801813

http://www.AAWsales.com/

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)

Sodium + Potassium = Good

I think excess sodium is OK for you if you consume more Potassium.

I have read somewhere (which means it could be Bull$hit) that the health implication of excessive sodium can be offset somewhat by consuming more potassium. Those electrolytes must work better as a pair.

Can anyone verify this?

d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500)
    Generic table salt is pure poisen and should be avoided as much as possible.

Get yourself some pink Himalayan salt. That is proper salt with all the trace minerals intact and you should have 1 gram per litre of water.

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It all depends on the brand. Friendship's cottage cheese has only 50mg of sodium.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation U ever tried that low-sodium Lucerne cottage cheese?

Well, I've tried it & its EXTREMELY BLAND. Cottage cheese is just one of those foods, like chicken soup & tomato soup, that tastes like **** w/ low or no salt. I had 2 mix it half & half w/ regular CC b4 I could eat it.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

aerlyn02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dunno how old this post is but I found it while I was searching for low sodium cottage cheeses myself...I found one on Amazon.com (not sure where else 2 get it) called Axlerod no salt added cottage cheese and Friendship now carries a 1% lowfat no salt added cottage cheese! Friendship is a well-known brand and this might be the easiest one to get your grocery to order! I'm gonna try

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    a good, easy source of potassium is low sodium V8. 800 mg per cup, <50mg of sodium.
    Broccoli is quite high as well
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ahadabans View Post
    Speaking of cottage cheese...

Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. No arguments from me there. But what's with the insanely high sodium content? 450mg per 1/2 cup??? That just seems like a bum deal. Only 13 grams of protein at the cost of 450mg of sodium. So if I want two servings, that's 900mg of sodium (or 38% of my daily total). That's equivalent to 8oz of tuna (which gives you way more protein by the way). Why don't I just add cup of noodles and bisquick to my diet while I'm at it (both ridiculously high in sodium).

So the question is, can you get low sodium cottage cheese? If so, where? Because it isn't at my grocery store.
    Friendship sells a 1% NO SODIUM cottage cheese look into it if its at ur local stores