squiggle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overdeveloped chest muscles ...

I've been lifting free weights (i.e. curls etc), doing push-ups etc. for about a year trying to build some muscle and i have noticed that my chest is very developed and protrudes from my body quite a bit .. almost giving the 'man boobs' look (or will if i continue along this path)

Just wondering if anyone knows anything which can be done to fix this and what are the best excercises to broaden the shoulders and get the 'V shape' look and continue to build the arms without adding anything to my already bulging chest? My shoulders aren't very broad in relation to the size of my arms and chest.

I'm pretty much average build, average body fat, trying to get a bit leaner as well.

Thanks a lot for any advice..

p.s. new to the forum so i wasn't sure if this was the best place to put it - please move if necessary

Regards,

Dan.

awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    rows and pullups.

dont try to bulk and cut at the same time.
    My only desire is to be the best !

Thanks .. I assume those excercises will avoid working the chest area too hard? I've been doing a lot of pushups etc. lately are those ok to do or are they part of the cause?

My main worry is getting in the right proportions now

thanks for the advice .. definitely much appreciated

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It sounds like you may carry a lot f bodyfat in your chest. You may be sorry stopping work on it because you think there is too much muscle. Heavy benches will also give you bigger tri's. Keep getting lean like you say and I think you will be happier.

SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How do you work the rest of the body? Do you focus mainly on chest? I'd suggest ensuring you work your entire body and for the next four weeks focus on improving shoulder presses and pull ups. For chest tone the weights down for a while, focus more on dips and maybe drop some sets of bench press for push ups (push ups won't add bulk but will build endurance, burn fat and help solidify the muscle). See how you feel after four weeks of this.

If it's fat then add more cardio and ensure your diet is clean.
    At 16/08/04

5'9" 187lbs
    Chest 46"
    Waist 32" (a little bit under now!)
    Arms 17+half"
    DL = 420lbs, BP = 280lbs, Squat = 345lbs

zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by awesome
    rows and pullups.

dont try to bulk and cut at the same time.
    Bump,

Try to develop shoulders too, remember they are your widest point,

I wish my pecs were too big, lol!
    More Testicles Means More Iron - Lunch Lady Dorris

Originally posted by Bob45
    It sounds like you may carry a lot f bodyfat in your chest. You may be sorry stopping work on it because you think there is too much muscle. Heavy benches will also give you bigger tri's. Keep getting lean like you say and I think you will be happier.
    I may be carrying a little bit extra all over but for some reason my pecs are actually very solid and rock hard when i flex them... i am definitely looking to cut the bodyfat though and working on diet and discipline etc

Originally posted by SloopJB
    How do you work the rest of the body? Do you focus mainly on chest? I'd suggest ensuring you work your entire body and for the next four weeks focus on improving shoulder presses and pull ups. For chest tone the weights down for a while, focus more on dips and maybe drop some sets of bench press for push ups (push ups won't add bulk but will build endurance, burn fat and help solidify the muscle). See how you feel after four weeks of this.

If it's fat then add more cardio and ensure your diet is clean.
    I have been doing a lot of free weights (curls etc), pushups, but nothing too major... going to try the full body workout for a while and see how it goes.. I'm not TOO worried about the size of my chest right now but just want to make sure everything grows with it

Originally posted by zall
    Bump,

Try to develop shoulders too, remember they are your widest point,

I wish my pecs were too big, lol!
    Yeah i am looking at shoulders and back muscles i guess to even it all out and some work on the abs
    Last edited by squiggle; 11-18-2003 at 06:51 AM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    well i actually wrecken the best answer for this is to have a good alround program... look here...

lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wish I had this problem
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you sure it's all muscle?

bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey man Im in the same boat you are. I have a big chest but who cares. Thats my genetics and the way Im built. I work all my other body parts just as hard. Just be glad your chest isnt small, I use to wish it was small but now I realize how lucky I am. DOnt give up on something special. Got any pics maybe I can tell you what works good to even out the look.
    Fukc dieting you only live once-me

U.S. Navy Corpsman...Corpsman up.

Naval Aircrewman School Graduate

Originally posted by Miracle Fingers
    Are you sure it's all muscle?
    It's not 100% muscle but i think most of it is... I'm fairly lean in general and have a pretty healthy diet .. i think i might just be "busty" lol

Originally posted by bluemarlin04
    Hey man Im in the same boat you are. I have a big chest but who cares. Thats my genetics and the way Im built. I work all my other body parts just as hard. Just be glad your chest isnt small, I use to wish it was small but now I realize how lucky I am. DOnt give up on something special. Got any pics maybe I can tell you what works good to even out the look.
    I'm happy with my chest i guess, but i know that i haven't been working everything evenly so i need to focus on everything (i didn't mean that i wanted to neglect my chest totally but maybe avoid working it for a while to even everything out)

I don't have a camera right now but i'll see if i can get a friend to take some pics and post them up in the next couple of days
    Last edited by squiggle; 11-18-2003 at 06:31 PM.

Originally posted by scott_donald
    well i actually wrecken the best answer for this is to have a good alround program... look here...
    That exactly the kind of thing i needed ... thanks for the link

How long in general does it take to broaden the shoulders and back using a routine like that (i guess it would vary pretty much but for the average person)?

Strong-Ass Jaw Crew user34566548717114's Avatar
    user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i think you need good lats for the v shape, correct me if i am wrong.....and broad shoulders won't hurt