Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000)

Bodybuilding advice for all

I've been using these boards for a couple of months now, and i am concerned at the number of posts coming through particularly from beginners, so i though i'd offer some home truths learned through my own experiences.

Firstly, if you intend on taking up bodybuilding with a dream of developing a world class physique in 6 months, forget it. I suggest you turn your attentions to another sport. Bodybuilding is one of the most rewarding pursuits anyone can be involved in, and unless you take a long term view, dedicate yourself to working hard, set some realistic goals and above all have patience, then your wasting your time.

Second, to the beginners in particular, i am amazed by the number of posts from people who have just started bodybuilding who use muscle measurements and bodyfat % as a guide. Throw away the tape measure and the bodyfat calipers. If you can't honestly use the mirror as your guide, then you suffer from delusion. If anyone can tell me the usefulness of bodyfat% and bodypart measurements that the mirror can't tell you, i'm all ears.

Supplements can be a great aid to bodybuilding, but they can also burn a hole through your wallet. I am shocked by the amount of young people on this board who launch into buying supplements with very little training under their belt. Concentrate on training and eating well for at least 6 months to a year and then evaluate what supplements if any you need. It's funny that alot of these people work out at home with limited equipment because they can't afford a gym membership, yet they spend the equivalent each month on supplements. I think that working out at a proper gym will be of morre benefit than supplemenmts, don't you?

Above all, set realistic long term goals or you will end up hating the sport for all the wrong reasons and end up quitting in frustration. And, be critical, read as much as you can and experiment, because know one person has all the answers, that's what makes this board such a valuable resource.

musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Some good stuff written there man.

MrLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Amen! The truth and nothing but the truth! Seems like a lot of people just starting are looking for the magic pill. Ain’t none! Hard work and good food is the only way to go.
    Taking my genetic potential to the next level!

Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If anyone can tell me the usefulness of bodyfat% and bodypart measurements that the mirror can't tell you, i'm all ears.
    I'd have to disagree with that. Skin calipers and other tools that aid bodybuilding can give you hints on whether you working in the right direction. Sure somethings take time and some people expect immediate results, which don't always happen, but those are the blind ones that you're knocking.

Other than that, good post.
    I'm not lost, I just don't care WHERE I am!

Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Andrew,

Not knocking anyone, just trying to give constructive advice.

What can calipers tell you that the mirror won't? If you're losing bodyfat won't you look leaner. If you put on fat won't you look fatter?

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice advice Telly. I think that should answer alot of questions. Good post.

Peace
    My progress goes up and down more frequently than a whore at work, but I still love to lift.

ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hey telly fellow aussie
    i am a beginner and have been for 4 months now (18 years old) and i have to agree with you 100%
    i use the tape measure, and thing is i realize there is little use for it because it pretty much tells me nothing
    i DO get everything i need to chart my progress simply from looking in the mirror
    i can tell ive made big gains from the mirror, where as the tape measure may suggest otherwise, but who cares, i look way better and thats what matters
    as far as supplements i take protein powder and thats all i really think i need, if you take a glance over to the teen BB section, you will hear of crazy 15 year olds buying around a dozen supplements, its just silly, at 15 there are so many things you good be spending your money on compared to all these powders and supplements, they need to read your post
    they need to learn how to get the most out of real food instead of wasting their money at this stage of their lives
    cheers

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kojak

CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BUMP

You forgot something Telly!!

Missing a meal once per month or partying once per week won't kill your muscles
    "Everything would have been geared for making my body able to withstand another small dose of iron on the bar for each exercise every week or two, even if it was just a few ounces. " -Stuart McRobert.

labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    "world class physique in 6 months"
    maybe not world class, professional or amateur bodybuilding shows, but, ive seen many people make incredible, cant recognize them, changes to their physiques in that amount of time. for some this is very much a possibility.

"usefullness of bodyfat % and bodypart measurements that a mirror cant tell u"

ru serious? its called body composition and ones lean muscle to fat ratio. when trying to improve upon prior phases of training quantitative measurements can be very usefull tools. hard numbers can reveal many possible areas of improvement.
    also, lets not forget the simple reason that measurements can help in the mental/emotional arena as well. those r very definite aspects of bodybuilding and probably the biggest reason why people begin training in the first place. and to actually c the improvement on paper can give a tremendous amount of encouragement.
    "...but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

Labouche,

All i can say is have a read of ozcoltsfan post a few posts above yours.

Congrats to you ozcoltsfan, you've got a lot of common sense for a young guy.

Cybergod, big bump on you man. I didn't foget about that, just didn't want to go on forever, but having a life outside of bodybuilding is vital, as we both know.

TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i will say measuring bodyfat isnt that imp. when your beginning the mirror/pictures should tell you enough but measurements are useful in my view to help confirm what the mirror and the pics have been telling you and it helps to know which bodyparts are growing the most and measuring areas like the back which you cant see in the mirror as clear however these certainly arent nessacary they just help give you goals and help give you an idea of your exact progress...but you made some very valid points esp. on the supplements and they wont join a gym (esp. the guys using cell-tech) and while it can help to have a big goal give it some serious time and just set small realistic goals remember Rome wasnt built in a day and neither is a quality bodybuilding physique
    "We slept in trenches under the tanks until we were awakened each morning at six. But I had another idea—my buddy and I would get up at five, open the tool compartment of the tanks where we stored our barbells, and exercise for an hour before everyone else woke up. After we finished maneuvers for the day, we would train for another hour. Finding the time for your workouts is simply a matter of motivation plus imagination."

"Normal people can be happy with a regular life. I was different. I felt that there was more to life than just plodding through an average existence.... I had it tougher than a lot of my companions because I wanted more, I demanded more. I was hungrier for success than anyone I knew."

"I lived by the training program. I was always master of writing out the programs. I knew that as soon as I put it down, the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint myself. I knew that I had to look in the mirror every day, and I could not look in the mirror and say, 'You know something? You're a ****ing loser. You cannot do the kind of sets and exercises that you write down.' I didn't want to face that."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000)

Cool

The mirror will always tell the truth!

labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Telly-
    maybe i shoulda said that im hearin ya on the other points u mentioned.
    but thats how ic it on those two. but its no big deal.
    in fact, Ozcolt does say it all: unless u know what ur doing those numbers will be meaningless.

Aimhealthy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good post bro. Your are 110% correct!

aimhealthy
    www.aimhealthy.com

Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think bodyfat and other measurements are necesarry to chart progress and be methodological about bodybuilding. While the mirror gives a good indication of progress, I have noticed that there are some days were I look lean and muscular and some days were I look soft. I think measurements backup the mirror image so you can be certain you are heading in the right direction.

TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good point mr. lean i have noticed this too
    "We slept in trenches under the tanks until we were awakened each morning at six. But I had another idea—my buddy and I would get up at five, open the tool compartment of the tanks where we stored our barbells, and exercise for an hour before everyone else woke up. After we finished maneuvers for the day, we would train for another hour. Finding the time for your workouts is simply a matter of motivation plus imagination."

"Normal people can be happy with a regular life. I was different. I felt that there was more to life than just plodding through an average existence.... I had it tougher than a lot of my companions because I wanted more, I demanded more. I was hungrier for success than anyone I knew."

"I lived by the training program. I was always master of writing out the programs. I knew that as soon as I put it down, the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint myself. I knew that I had to look in the mirror every day, and I could not look in the mirror and say, 'You know something? You're a ****ing loser. You cannot do the kind of sets and exercises that you write down.' I didn't want to face that."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Isn't that what i said above, what will the tape measure or calipers tell you that the mirror won't.

HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great Post Ted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Isn't that what i said above, what will the tape measure or calipers tell you that the mirror won't.
    No, its not. Look as I said, the rest of your post was great, but to bash people for using other tools to get a more accurate reading of their body is insane. Perhaps your the one suffering from delusion?

Andrew,

I'll tell you a simple fact.

The only reason people take measurements of bodyfat and muscle size is ego, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that, but for someone starting out, the mirror should be their guide. The mirror never lies.

If you can explain to me where i bash anyone in my post i'll gladly listen. Why is it that when people try to offer constructive advice, some view it as 'bashing'.

The point i was trying to make which is lost on a couple of people, is that it is easy to become disenchanted very quickly when relying on bodyfat % and muscle measurements when starrting out. People should concentrate on one thing, building muscle, because without that, you have nothing, and bodyfat measurements and muscle measurements become irrelevant.

Too many young people get caught up in all the bull**** aspects of the sport that they read in the magazines instead of concentrating on the very basic aspects of the sport and using common sense.

Telly-

i think u got it completely backwards. im getting my bodyfat% checked tomorrow(by a beautiful p.t. btw) and it has NOTHING to do with ego. i mean, if it were im an idiot cuz i just got done with a 6-month bulking cycle and it isnt gonna be pretty!lol) it has to do with making future adjustments.

on the other hand, i do look in the mirror often and THAT is purely for ego and looks.

i agree that for beginners it can be useless but only cuz they have no clue how to use the info.

but i can tell u this: without a doubt i wish i had done regular measurements since when i first started working out.

it wouldve been cool and informative.

Labouche,

Point taken and no arguments. You obviously have a reason to take the measurements, but a kid who has just started bodybuilding...........

maybe the language i used in my originbal post was too strong, but i still think the mirror will give the most valuable feedback, particularly for a beginner, and that's essentially the point i was making. Figures can lie. The mirror doesn't.

Kriscube has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Supplement Information

I have a question. I have been weight training for about 6 years and the only supplement that I have ever used is Creatine. I just started taking zma and tribulus and I wanted to know your opinion on the supplements that I am taking now. I take a multivitamin and one 625 mg tablet of tribulus, and a 500 mg tablet of gluclosamine in the morning, between 11 and 12 I take a tribulus tablet and a gluclosamine tablet. At 1240 I take a multivitamin and dym extreme (ephradra). I workout from 1 to 130. And I take another gluclosamine around 6pm and ZMA before I go to sleep. I am 34 years old and I weigh 185lbs and I want to put on about 15lbs of lean muscle. Am I on the right track. I eat a high protien diet around 120 to 200 grams of protien a day but I am probably not getting enough calories but that is easy to fix.

Telly, thats our whole defense on tools for measuring BF, but your post makes them seem as if they are completely unnecessary when they are not.

If you can't honestly use the mirror as your guide, then you suffer from delusion.
    That, in my opinion, is bashing.

Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50) Valcore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the mirror is a great tool, but a photograph is way better. It depends on how you view yourself but you'd be amazed at how many people can dissillusion themselves and trick their mind into seeing something different in the mirror. Show someone a photo of themselves in just their underwear will really give them a reality check. You can't hide from a photo.

Also a photo taken now and a photo taken 3 or 6 months from now will really show what you've acheived in the time frame. Sure you can remember what you looked like vaguely and you can have your weight and measurements written down but with two photos you can have a direct comparison and feel an even greater sense of acheivement.

To measure progress on a weekly basis I think the mirror should be your guide. If your goal is to gain a certain poundage of muscle in a certain time frame then the scales and bodyfat measurements can help you see if you are progressing in the right direction towards your goal.

Thumbs up

great post Valcore