Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boxman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Question 7 "Classic" Exercises You Should Avoid - ??

7 "Classic" Exercises You Should Avoid
    http://www.flexonline.com/train/6?page=1

SQUATS
    Let's start at the top, with the so-called "King of All Exercises." For advanced bodybuilders, this is more like the "King of All Back Breakers and Butt Builders." Like most trainers, I did squats for years, and I'm of two minds regarding their effectiveness. It's a good fundamental exercise for some, if kept in check. The problem is that too few people keep them in check, and many people just aren't built for them.

Along with the bench press and the deadlift, the squat is one lift in which guys really pile on the plates for low reps. The bottom line is if you're always going heavy, eventually there will be a straw that breaks the camel's or, in this case, the bodybuilder's back. It happened to me. Heavy squatting was the primary reason I had lower back surgery in 1998.

Consider what you're doing when squatting. You have a heavy weight on your traps, sometimes more than 500 pounds, pressing down on your spine. Then you bend down, putting your lumbar region in a vulnerable position, not to mention the strain on your knees and even your shoulders, from holding the bar. All of this is compounded if you're my height or taller. If you're Lee Priest or Dexter Jackson, you can do squats all day with good form and little discomfort, but if you're over 5'10", it's tough to do them without bending forward too far.
    Other exercises he says to avoid:
    Any kind of presses behind the neck
    Barbell Rows
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Bench Press
    Barbell Curl
    Skull Crushers

He recommends various alternatives to all these. Interesting reading but it left me kind of scratching my head.

What do you guys make of this article?

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    My first response is wondering why he thinks being taller requires a person to bend over more when squatting. With a thought process like this, I would not be too concerned with his opinions.
    Always learning.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i like my summary of exercises more- all exercises are equally dangerous if not done with proper form.

try to load up more than you can handle, injury waiting to happen

try to use **** ass form, injury waiting to happen.
    Booo

weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000)

re

Idiot should have worn a belt if it hurt so bad.

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    He really said barbell curls were bad?

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Wheelies
    He really said barbell curls were bad?
    He primarily complains about straight bar barbell curls. Doing them with an EZ Curl bar or dumbbells would be OK according to the article.
    Always learning.

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why would a taller person have to bend over more? Yes they might be fractions of an inch difference, but the angles of the joints are all the same and that's a lot more important for stress on the body.
    I'd rather be lifting.

Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's written by Bob Ciccerillo for Flex Magazine, so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
    "Government should stay the hell out of people's business." - Senator Barry Goldwater

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're going to take advice from a pro, it had might as well be a top pro, and Ronnie Coleman does squats, deads, curls, and rows.

jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's another quote from that article:

"Instead of traditional squats, I do hack squats and leg presses. They're better than squats for muscling up the quads and targeting different areas, and they're safer, too. I believe in full ranges of motion, all the way down and all the way up for these movements, and for leg presses, I take a relatively wide stance. The taller you are, the wider your stance should be."

Come ooooon!!!! Hack squats and leg presses better than squats for muscling up the quads? What a crock of ****!!!

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    i like my summary of exercises more- all exercises are equally dangerous if not done with proper form.

try to load up more than you can handle, injury waiting to happen

try to use **** ass form, injury waiting to happen.
    bump... i wonder if there are any good excercises for him to do...

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by jino
    Here's another quote from that article:

"Instead of traditional squats, I do hack squats and leg presses. They're better than squats for muscling up the quads and targeting different areas, and they're safer, too. I believe in full ranges of motion, all the way down and all the way up for these movements, and for leg presses, I take a relatively wide stance. The taller you are, the wider your stance should be."

Come ooooon!!!! Hack squats and leg presses better than squats for muscling up the quads? What a crock of ****!!!
    bump.

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually, I agree with him on the issue of straightbars and behind the neck stuff.

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Miracle Fingers
    Actually, I agree with him on the issue of straightbars and behind the neck stuff.

well, he just happens to be right about behind-neck-stuff

but for the rest of his arguements you could replace exercise X w/ Y and jsut say it's bad because people load up too much weight and injure themselves
    Booo

Symmetry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

the master article

heres the best article i've seen ripping this article apart
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...rue#Post677852

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just think its realy funny to hear a pro BB talk about the "dangers" of certain exercises........

because if i were them i'd be lot more worried about the INSANE AMOUNTS OF GEAR THAT THEY DUMP IN THERE BODIES!!

Re: the master article

Originally posted by Symmetry
    heres the best article i've seen ripping this article apart
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...rue#Post677852
    ?Access Denied. ?
    Booo

VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VirtualLift250 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

except for a couple of things...its a pretty bad article

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs down

use it to wipe, not study
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Here_s johnny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well, he just happens to be right about behind-neck-stuff

How so? Does he know more than olympic coaches or even team doctors?? Please, give it up.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by Here's johnny
    How so? Does he know more than olympic coaches or even team doctors?? Please, give it up.
    knew that was coming johnny can u check ur pm's....

Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL. This guy is so full of **** it is almost scary. He just told people not to do any of the 3 power movements, which are some of the best movements for mass ever. Waht a load of horse ****.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If your using proper form squats is perfectly fine. If your using proper form with a weight you can't use then you'll lack form. Therefore damaging yourself. Or even worse....death.

Now I read an article on bodybuilding.com about the vertebrae. If proper form is used the (forgot the part) can handle 1700 pounds of compression force.

I don't think there are people squatting that. Much less more...
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    If your using proper form squats is perfectly fine. If your using proper form with a weight you can't use then you'll lack form. Therefore damaging yourself. Or even worse....death.

Now I read an article on bodybuilding.com about the vertebrae. If proper form is used the (forgot the part) can handle 1700 pounds of compression force.

I don't think there are people squatting that. Much less more...

Ut oh, i'm using 1702
    Booo

WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    If your using proper form with a weight you can't use then you'll lack form.
    Huh?

jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    IMHO, every exercise is a risk even with perfect form. Best bet is to warm up properly.

Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ut oh, i'm using 1702
    I can squat that much too, so HAH! Maybe not pounds, but ounces. No problem.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do all the exercises he listed, except behind the neck presses, and I used to do military press behind the neck up until less than a year ago. I don't know if I buy into all that.

entweichen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) entweichen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) entweichen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by Andrew_S
    I can squat that much too, so HAH! Maybe not pounds, but ounces. No problem.
    You squat 106lbs? Lightweight!

Well, after giving that list a look, I conclude I've been doing everything wrong all these years. Time to stop lifting and start gardening.

Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Andrew_S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by entweichen
    You squat 106lbs? Lightweight!

Well, after giving that list a look, I conclude I've been doing everything wrong all these years. Time to stop lifting and start gardening.
    CAN squat that much, not DO.

But still, I'm new to this whole iron thing.