Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resurrection has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hole Spacing: How Critical Is it?

After several months of serious consideration, I convinced myself the Elite Fitness (elitefts) power rack was the only choice for me. Now I must admit I am beginning to gravitate towards the Lamar LS536. The only glaring difference capable of potentially persuading me one way or the other, aside from the obvious difference in price, is hole spacing.

Before I make a final decision, I would like to hear from fellow bodybuilders on how critical a power rack feature he/she considers hole spacing to be. Do you think the difference in hole spacing between the elitefts (1 to 2 inches) and the Lamar LS536 (2.5 inches) matters much? Perhaps there is yet another glaring difference you see between these two power racks that makes one better than the other. If so, please share.

Your feedback is much appreciated...

Lift Heavy & Grow Big,
    Resurrection
    "If you cannot run then walk; if you cannot walk then crawl; but by all means keep inching along." MLK Jr. (1929-1968)

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IMO hole spacing isn't that critical and I really don't mind the wide spacing of the Lamar rack but then again I haven't used that much else so I'm semi-biased I guess, just my .02

BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    After several months of serious consideration, I convinced myself the Elite Fitness (elitefts) power rack was the only choice for me. Now I must admit I am beginning to gravitate towards the Lamar LS536. The only glaring difference capable of potentially persuading me one way or the other, aside from the obvious difference in price, is hole spacing.

Before I make a final decision, I would like to hear from fellow bodybuilders on how critical a power rack feature he/she considers hole spacing to be. Do you think the difference in hole spacing between the elitefts (1 to 2 inches) and the Lamar LS536 (2.5 inches) matters much? Perhaps there is yet another glaring difference you see between these two power racks that makes one better than the other. If so, please share.

Your feedback is much appreciated...

Lift Heavy & Grow Big,
    Resurrection
    Elite FTS racks are great but one inch hole spacing really isnt needed.

You find one inch hole spacing popular for commercial power racks due to the almost infinite different size and body types entering in and out of the rack for some specific movements that are constantly done in the rack. For home its just not needed.

But if you ever did find where you wish you had a bit extra clearance or a bit less clearance on the safety rails all you need to do is add a couple of 1" thick wood slats the length of the safety rails made of your typical pine stud you get at home D. to go over the rails themselves to double the adjustability of them. I ended up making a quick pair just in case but have never needed to use them. All you need is a single 8 foot long stud and some double sided velcro. Cut to size at 1" thick, run double sided velcro down the length of the wood slate and top of the safety rail and thats all there is to it. If you want to make em look real slick grab a can of primer and cheap grey spraypaint to match em to the racks color.
    Last edited by BusyDizzyIzzy; 03-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.

MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will all the Lamar users chime in? :-)
    Depends on the type of training you do most of all. I just got the Lamar rack a couple weeks ago, and the spacing works fine for me. I've worked out at several gyms with different racks at each, and the spacing again worked fine for me. If you're benching 405 and want to squeeze out that next 10lbs, then hole spacing could be critical.

As BDI said, you can always work around the spacing easily enough if it really is important to you.

About the only other big thing I liked more about the EliteFts from looking at it (never tried one) was the open bottom in back, so you could push the bench as far back as you want without a cross-beam in the way. Hasn't been an issue with the Lamar for me so far, but if I had a larger gym space, I could see that being a big advantage. Also if you use bands, the ability to add band pegs would be much more convenient than dumbbells on the floor.

Enjoy,
    -Sean

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I haven't gotten to take a close look at the Lamar cage yet (only saw it in BDI's pics), but wouldn't it be possible to just drill some extra holes in the cage where the tighter spacing might be needed (ie just split the 2.5" spacing and drill one hole exactly between the two in areas, effectively making the spacing 1.25" and only where you might need the extra adjustment....FID positions, etc). The holes were alot smaller on the Lamar than on racks like the Powertec that use the skewer rods for adjustment (they look like 3/8" or 7/16"......not quite 1/2" but hard to tell from pics alone.....maybe someone could measure?). Being a mechanical engineer and looking at the strength and structural integrity of the cage, I don't think it could be compromised by drilling these extra holes as long as they were accurately placed and sized correctly. Only issue is it could be very tedious because it needs to be done at all 4 posts and spacing is critical (no room for mistakes). It might even be worth taking to a machine shop to have done accurately. Just a thought anyway.
    Last edited by mtl; 03-18-2007 at 08:32 AM.

mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would have gone with the Elitefts rack if i had the cash. I think hole spacing is pretty important but it all depends on your training.

BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mks View Post
    I would have gone with the Elitefts rack if i had the cash. I think hole spacing is pretty important but it all depends on your training.
    Hole spacing is over rated since there are so many ways to get 1" hole spacing other than the safety bars on a rack. In fact I actually can get 1/2" spacing if really needed with mine, but its not and its overrated.

And unless someone plans on bolting down the Elite 2x2 rack to the ground with good quality lag bolts I wouldn't waste a penny on it as they are not designed to be free standing at all. They are designed to be bolted down permanently.

You get a hell of alot more product for under $1000 going with Lamar or a similiar quality rack than you ever will spending twice the money on some of EliteFTS economy products.

In fact if a true commercial power rack is what someone wants, there are far too many better options for the same money than whats offered on EliteFTS website.

on the narrow road trailwarrior's Avatar
    trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BusyDizzyIzzy View Post
    And unless someone plans on bolting down the Elite 2x2 rack to the ground with good quality lag bolts I wouldn't waste a penny on it as they are not designed to be free standing at all. They are designed to be bolted down permanently.
    Have you informed the folks over at Elite Fitness or have you been keeping this knowledge to yourself?

In fact if a true commercial power rack is what someone wants, there are far too many better options for the same money than whats offered on EliteFTS website.
    Have you informed the folks over at Westside Barbell Club that they have been training on inferior equipment?
    http://www.westside-barbell.com/elite_members.htm

Maybe you should get on the phone and inform these folks while you're at it ...
    http://www.elitefts.com/client-list/default.asp

Originally Posted by trailwarrior View Post
    Have you informed the folks over at Elite Fitness or have you been keeping this knowledge to yourself?

Have you informed the folks over at Westside Barbell Club that they have been training on inferior equipment?
    http://www.westside-barbell.com/elite_members.htm

Maybe you should get on the phone and inform these folks while you're at it ...
    http://www.elitefts.com/client-list/default.asp
    Actually the folks at EliteFTS are fully aware that their racks need to be bolted down. Obviously though YOU don't know that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the design to figure that out.

Does it mean everybody bolts their racks down as recommended? Obviously not as you and others have shown, doesn't make it smart or even remotely safe, especially if you lifting decent weights.

Like I stated before though, you aren't going to find brainiacs at bodybuilding forums though who can understand some of these basic safety procedures.

Now for my "economy" commercial comment, you shouldn't take offense to it, but it is what it is. Its not a knock against the quality in any way of EliteFTS, but the real HD commercial racks first off aren't "bolted" together. They are fully welded together. And most are made of 1/4" or thicker steel tubing, not 11 or 12 gauge. Alot of them are actually built and welded on location, like the racks we use at the fieldhouse. They also cost significantly more as well too. But they also are getting use 12 hours per day every day per week.
    Last edited by BusyDizzyIzzy; 03-18-2007 at 06:43 PM.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I gotta chime-in here. I have a BS Powerline rack, and the one thing I was praying didn't matter was the 3" hole spacing that I knew about in advance. HAving said that, I simply use a piece of 3/4" plywood under my bench feet to get that little bit that DOES count so much when it comes to making a comfortable lift.

I wouldn't say hole spacing is overrated, but like already mentioned here, it's easy enough to work around it. It wouldn't worth a couple hundred dollars to me to get the closer spacing, but I will admit I'd rather have it.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) trailwarrior has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Now for my "economy" commercial comment, you shouldn't take offense to it, but it is what it is. Its not a knock against the quality in any way of EliteFTS, but the real HD commercial racks first off aren't "bolted" together. They are fully welded together. And most are made of 1/4" or thicker steel tubing, not 11 or 12 gauge. Alot of them are actually built and welded on location, like the racks we use at the fieldhouse. They also <<cost significantly more>> as well too. But they also are getting use 12 hours per day every day per week.
    Now which is it? Do these other racks <<cost significantly more>> or can they be had <<for the same money>>?

What you said in your previous post was most definitely a knock against the quality and value of Elite Fitness equipment ...
    In fact if a true commercial power rack is what someone wants, there are far too many better options <<for the same money>> than whats offered on EliteFTS website.
    If you were simply "honest" then you wouldn't have to change your story.

Now which is it? Do these other racks <<cost significantly more>> or can they be had <<for the same money>>? .
    Depends on what your comparing. If were talking real commercial equipment like the racks at our fieldhouse which were $11,500 each. 6 in total. In this case significantly more compared to what EliteFTS offers.

If your talking about trying to compare the basic 2x2 EliteFTS to a rack combo like Lamar's, then for the cash spent, the Lamar is a much better value in numerous ways.

If your talking about EliteFTS entry level racks vs. other true commercial racks, I can name a dozen brands I would rather deal with concerning design, accessories and build quality. Elite is far from the best. Nothing wrong with it though. EliteFTS makes/markets pretty basic powerlifting equipment.

What you said in your previous post was most definitely a knock against the quality and value of Elite Fitness equipment ...
    OK, whatever you say Sally. Hope your toes are "OK".

If you were simply "honest" then you wouldn't have to change your story
    If you were simply up to a 3rd grader's IQ, you would have figured out my story didn't change at all.

But what really is comical is this comment below, the one you pasted on 2-3 different posts.

And then you were dumb enough to post 4-5 links to Elite's website where the owner states over and over that the racks SHOULD be bolted down even though you may be "OK" not to if you got a weight tree accesory on it.

So now that you brought the "other" thread over here, can we get back on subject trailerwoman?

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Depends on what your comparing. If were talking real commercial equipment like the racks at our fieldhouse which were $11,500 each. 6 in total. In this case significantly more compared to what EliteFTS offers.

If your talking about trying to compare the basic 2x2 EliteFTS to a rack combo like Lamar's, then for the cash spent, the Lamar is a much better value in numerous ways.

If your talking about EliteFTS entry level racks vs. other true commercial racks, I can name a dozen brands I would rather deal with concerning design, accessories and build quality. Elite is far from the best. Nothing wrong with it though. EliteFTS makes/markets pretty basic powerlifting equipment.

OK, whatever you say Sally. Hope your toes are "OK".

If you were simply up to a 3rd grader's IQ, you would have figured out my story didn't change at all.

But what really is comical is this comment below, the one you pasted on 2-3 different posts.

And then you were dumb enough to post 4-5 links to Elite's website where the owner states over and over that the racks SHOULD be bolted down even though you may be "OK" not to if you got a weight tree accesory on it.

So now that you brought the "other" thread over here, can we get back on subject trailerwoman?
    I likeah you. You likeah me?

Exactly where did I bring any other thread into this discussion?
    Won't find it - simply more lies and distortions on your part.

Add to that the name calling and this gives us a pretty good idea of your character.

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Check this rack out.

http://promaximamfg.com/index.cfm?ac...nd+Squat+Racks

the pl 45 and fw 163. The are a true commercial quality. I priced the fw 163 at about $800.00 shipped. Factory direct kicks a$$

And then you were dumb enough to post 4-5 links to Elite's website
    where the owner states over and over that the racks SHOULD be bolted down even though you may be "OK" not to if you got a weight tree accesory on it.
    Since YOU brought this thread over here, I cannot let your lies and distortions go unanswered.

The only thing the owner says is that "It is always best to bolt down <<<any rack>>>."

And even though he says it is <<<best>>> he is also clear that it does <<<not need to be>>>.
    He also is clear in stating that this pertains to <<<any rack>>> and not only this rack.

Here is the "truth" of what the owner had to say:

First Link:
    "Yes, unless you add the weight tree. If you have the weight racks the rack will <<<not need to be>>> bolted down."

Second Link:
    "It is always <<<best>>> to bolt down <<<any rack>>>. You can get by without it IF you have weight storage with weight on it. Give Jim a call for details on bolting it down. 888-854-8806"

Third Link:
    "This depends on if you have the weight storage option with the rack. If so then you can get by without bolting it down. Give Jim a call and he can help you with the details. 888-854-8806"

Fourth Link:
    "Give Jim a call at 888-854-8806. He can go over all the option and details."

It is not surprising to find that the owner never uses the words "SHOULD" or "OK" even once.
    Last edited by trailwarrior; 03-19-2007 at 04:01 AM.

Since YOU brought this thread over here, I cannot let your lies and distortions go unanswered.

The only thing the owner says is that "It is always best to bolt down <<<any rack>>>."

And even though he says it is <<<best>>> he is also clear that it does <<<not need to be>>>.
    He also is clear in stating that this pertains to <<<any rack>>> and not only this rack.

Here is the "truth" of what the owner had to say:

First Link:
    "Yes, unless you add the weight tree. If you have the weight racks the rack will <<<not need to be>>> bolted down."

Second Link:
    "It is always <<<best>>> to bolt down <<<any rack>>>. You can get by without it IF you have weight storage with weight on it. Give Jim a call for details on bolting it down. 888-854-8806"

Third Link:
    "This depends on if you have the weight storage option with the rack. If so then you can get by without bolting it down. Give Jim a call and he can help you with the details. 888-854-8806"

Fourth Link:
    "Give Jim a call at 888-854-8806. He can go over all the option and details."

It is not surprising to find that the owner never uses the words "SHOULD" or "OK" even once.

Lies? I guess the owner of that company is a liar then. He told me all his racks were meant to be bolted down period. But of course he sells more units otherwise, in fact the single biggest question he answers time and time again deals with people not wanting to bolt down the rack if they dont have to. His sales suffer significantly if he doesnt tell people otherwise. His "sale saving" solution?: add a weight tree and load the weight down, that should "suffice".

But lets be real here. Just look at the rack. It uses minimal top bracing, and 0 bottom bracing. Hmmmmmm, some people are smart enough to figure out what needs to be done. We know you don't fall into that category though.

Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
    Check this rack out.

http://promaximamfg.com/index.cfm?ac...nd+Squat+Racks

the pl 45 and fw 163. The are a true commercial quality. I priced the fw 163 at about $800.00 shipped. Factory direct kicks a$$
    Promaxima makes some great stuff. And not all their racks need to be bolted down. A much better brand for use at the home, or for those who don't have the skill or knowledge to bolt their "economy" racks to the floor when necessary.

Lies? I guess the owner of that company is a liar then. He told me all his racks were meant to be bolted down period. But of course he sells more units otherwise, in fact the single biggest question he answers time and time again deals with people not wanting to bolt down the rack if they dont have to. His sales suffer significantly if he doesnt tell people otherwise. His "sale saving" solution?: add a weight tree and load the weight down, that should "suffice".
    Maybe he is a liar, but what purpose does it serve for you to add lies on top of lies? Then everytime another of your lies are exposed, you have to change your story once again and/or resort to name calling.

You are entitled to "your opinion" and that is what message boards are good for, but you are not entitled to "lies". How can you expect anyone to believe anything that you have to say with the reputation you build for yourself?

I'll put my trust in the folks over at Elite Fitness until I have evidence that this trust is unwarranted. You make it too easy for people to discredit everything that you have to say.

Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krikey187 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The 2x2 Elite rack doesnt need to be bolted if you have the weight rack in the back. It really does make it solid. I talked to the guys at Elitefts and they said this was a fine alternative if you couldn't bolt it down. Mines really solid and I didn't bolt it to the ground. As for hole spacing there are a lot of people that will disagree with it not being important. Just check out the t-nation.com forum. For me when I do bench presses there is a real difference between the safety bar being in the 3rd slot than the 4th. If its in the 4th my barbell sometimes hits the safety bar and its annoying. In the 3rd slot its just perfect. There are ways around this with blocks of wood but it just seems so ghetto to me. I would just get something YOUR going to be satisfied with. Good luck.

Btw EliteFTS is an amazing company. They had messed up my order with the holes of the fat bar being in the wrong place so not only did they replace it they gave me $200 worth of anything i wanted on their site.
    Last edited by Krikey187; 03-19-2007 at 08:10 AM.
    EliteFTS Power Rack
    Ironmaster Bench
    Ironmaster Dumbbells
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=340739&d=1160948041

"Years ago we hardly had anything to eat. Now I earn more money and I see every opponent as a man that tries to put me back to that poorer period. That man has to be eliminated."

-Fedor Emelianenko

Maybe he is a liar, but what purpose does it serve for you to add lies on top of lies? Then everytime another of your lies are exposed, you have to change your story once again and/or resort to name calling.

You are entitled to "your opinion" and that is what message boards are good for, but you are not entitled to "lies". How can you expect anyone to believe anything that you have to say with the reputation you build for yourself?

I'll put my trust in the folks over at Elite Fitness until I have evidence that this trust is unwarranted. You make it too easy for people to discredit everything that you have to say.

Why would the company owner be a liar? LOL! So you bought a product from a Liar? So whats more important? Taking a real world look at the product, or believing a "liar"/"salesman" who is trying to sell products to make a living?

I never put my trust in a salesman, I always put my trust in obvious design intentions first and formost. And when you see a product with skinny 2x2 rails, no bottom bracing and little to no top bracing, it makes the answer easy for most who think with logic.

Originally Posted by Krikey187 View Post
    The 2x2 Elite rack doesnt need to be bolted if you have the weight rack in the back. It really does make it solid. I talked to the guys at Elitefts and they said this was a fine alternative if you couldn't bolt it down. Mines really solid and I didn't bolt it to the ground. As for hole spacing there are a lot of people that will disagree with it not being important. Just check out the t-nation.com forum. For me when I do bench presses there is a real difference between the safety bar being in the 3rd slot than the 4th. If its in the 4th my barbell sometimes hits the safety bar and its annoying. In the 3rd slot its just perfect. There are ways around this with blocks of wood but it just seems so ghetto to me. I would just get something YOUR going to be satisfied with. Good luck.

Btw EliteFTS is an amazing company. They had messed up my order with the holes of the fat bar being in the wrong place so not only did they replace it they gave me $200 worth of anything i wanted on their site.

Check out the JSF forums. There was a thread with a pic of an unbolted rack(with an attached weight tree) and what happened when the user fell backwards with less than 300 pounds on the bar. Not a pretty site. If someone else finds it before I do please post it.

Like I said if your not going to bolt the rack to the floor. Put a piece of plywood under the rubber matting and secure the rack to the plywood. Its just the smart and logical thing to do.

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    C'mon guys, you can tell just by looking at it that no bottom bracing = needs to be bolted to the floor for rigidity. You don't need to be an Mech Eng to see that it would be quite unstable no matter what someone said marketing-wise.....I don't care what brand we were talking about. The extra weights on the rack would add some intertia and downward force (that means you'd need more sideways force to get it to colapse), but I guarantee you wouldn't see me doing any big lifts under those circumstances. It litterally could come crashing down on you like a house of cards.
    Last edited by mtl; 03-19-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Originally Posted by mtl View Post
    C'mon guys, you can tell just by looking at it that no bottom bracing = needs to be bolted to the floor for rigidity. You don't need to be an Mech Eng to see that it would be quite unstable no matter what someone said marketing-wise.....I don't care what brand we were talking about. The extra weights on the rack would add some intertia and downward force (that means you'd need more sideways force to get it to colapse), but I guarantee you wouldn't see me doing any big lifts under those circumstances. It litterally could come crashing down on you like a house of cards.
    Thank you, "Mr. Spock, our landing party has come into contact with what appears to be intelligent life forms." ...........................Somebody here has it figured out, glad to see it.

Thomas Hobbes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this busy dizzy guy seems like he really knows what he is talking about, but no one is listening. I paid $1500 for a commercial Atlantis-Fit power rack, not because I lift alot, but because I would not trust my life day in and day out to anything less. And that is all buzzy dizzy (whatever his name is) is trying to say. Life is too short to take risks just to save a couple of bucks.

Originally Posted by Thomas Hobbes View Post
    this busy dizzy guy seems like he really knows what he is talking about, but no one is listening. I paid $1500 for a commercial Atlantis-Fit power rack, not because I lift alot, but because I would not trust my life day in and day out to anything less. And that is all buzzy dizzy (whatever his name is) is trying to say. Life is too short to take risks just to save a couple of bucks.
    I assume you have the C-209 rack? Great piece. That rack though is not designed to be bolted down. Very big and heavy unit. 8-9 gauge contruction I believe.

Thomas Hobbes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that's it. really no need to bolt it down. as a matter of fact, I can't even move it, since it weighs 400 pounds. you really do know equipment. i think it runs for about the same price as some of the elitefts pieces, but are worlds apart.

FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Humm, kind of seems like BusyDizzyIzzy and Thomas Hobbes are the same person.

Transformation Specialist Pillager's Avatar
    Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000) Pillager is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'll chime in. Hole spacing is very important to me, behind only safety and stability. I don't want to have to work around because of poor hole spacing options.

BDI what do you think of MTL's suggestion of getting the Lamar rack drilled to double the hole options?

Also about the Promaxima Racks, they have fantastic value but they are all done with 3" hole spacing. Customization is not an option according to the sales person that gave me the qoutes. Also they are all well over 7'.
    Rogue: n. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pillager View Post
    I'll chime in. Hole spacing is very important to me, behind only safety and stability. I don't want to have to work around because of poor hole spacing options.

BDI what do you think of MTL's suggestion of getting the Lamar rack drilled to double the hole options?

Also about the Promaxima Racks, they have fantastic value but they are all done with 3" hole spacing. Customization is not an option according to the sales person that gave me the qoutes. Also they are all well over 7'.
    Yes the seven foot issue prevented me from going with this one as an upgrade option. I will be moving soon and the basement is only 7' 1-2". For me, the biggest issue for contemplating an ubgrade on a rack is becasue I own a 1/2 rack. The hole spaceing is an easy fix. However the 7* tilt hurts me on the lift off. Also safety on squats.