xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

would a stationary bike be enough for cardio

would a stationary bike be enough for cardio? about 3 days a week? for 30 mins?

lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe. It will never be as good as an old fashioned run though.
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    biking is ok.... but it may not be best for everyone.. my body responds well to the run (although i hate it), but some may respond well to stairclimber or recumbant bike.. and when i say respond to i just mean that they feel they can go more intense on the other types of cardio training.. i guess it's the same calories either way... do what you feel you can do best.
    I will not give up. I will not stop.

I may move to a new state, but that won't stop me. I may have to start over, but that won't stop me. You will see me someday, under the lights, in the magazines, taking home the trophy. It will happen, and if you're not here to give support then get the hell out of my way - I will not stop for you.

New Year, New Job, Livin in the Same Ol' Town... just with a Lot More $$$ rollin in...

Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can be! I have a Schwinn Airdyne which is an ergometer type bike (arms and legs). It will kick your glutes!

Lynne

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i think they are really good...

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, some argue that running is better, as you are supporting your whole bodyweight on your feet, while this is not the case with a stationary bike. So, yeah, you are burning more calories when you run than on a stationary bike at a low intensity. But of course you can adjust the resitance on an exercise bike. I never use the lowest settings, I always set it so I can go comfortably for 30 min or a little more (I don't do that HIIT crap and never will). The stationary bike is also non-impact, so it is better for your knees. I alternate between running and the stationary bike. Both are good.

Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    depends on what your goals are. the bike is fine if all you want to do is burn a few calories and keep your cardiovascular system in good shape. if you have higher goals, then you probably will need to branch out.
    one day at a time

Ex-Trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tell that to Lance Armstrong.
    5' 9"
    202 lbs.
    7% BF

Hard work... priceless

ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000)
    for fat loss the bike is excellent.

3 x 30minutes isn't much for someone obsessed with seeing their abs.
    "i just might fade into Bolivian" ~ MIKE TYSON

xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol damn straight, gotta see those abs!

Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boilerkid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Ex-Trainer
    Tell that to Lance Armstrong.
    haha, yeah true. although just for comparisons sake, i'd like to see how well armstrong does in a marathon...
    one day at a time

SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Boilerkid
    haha, yeah true. although just for comparisons sake, i'd like to see how well armstrong does in a marathon...
    Errr........ I'd be willing to bet he would get a pretty respectable time.
    At 16/08/04

5'9" 187lbs
    Chest 46"
    Waist 32" (a little bit under now!)
    Arms 17+half"
    DL = 420lbs, BP = 280lbs, Squat = 345lbs

yeah i would think he'd be able to kick most peoples ass...then again, i've never seen any type of results from something like this before.
    one day at a time

Location: BB.Com retirement community. Tanning with TIL, Rottie, etc
    devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Tim
    Well, some argue that running is better, as you are supporting your whole bodyweight on your feet, while this is not the case with a stationary bike. So, yeah, you are burning more calories when you run than on a stationary bike at a low intensity. But of course you can adjust the resitance on an exercise bike. I never use the lowest settings, I always set it so I can go comfortably for 30 min or a little more (I don't do that HIIT crap and never will). The stationary bike is also non-impact, so it is better for your knees. I alternate between running and the stationary bike. Both are good.
    Hiit crap?

Please, do elaborate.

Ex-Trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    High Itensity Interval Training?
    5' 9"
    202 lbs.
    7% BF

Hard work... priceless

Location: BB.Com retirement community. Tanning with TIL, Rottie, etc
    devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Ex-Trainer
    High Itensity Interval Training?
    Uh, I know what it stands for. I was challenging his "crap" statement.

Psytech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally, I'm going to start getting most of my cardio on a stationary bike (spinning), as I've had good experience with it in the past and I HATE running more than I could possibly begin to describe.

rs1000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe that an exercise bike with moveable arms and wind resistance like I have can be used every day, even when trying to build mass through heavy lifting.

Let me explain why I think this:
    It is completely non-impact, minimal stress and minimal strain. All you are doing is getting your heart rate up and delivering oxygenated blood throughout the body, which may help to speed recovery. Keep in mind that professional athletes often use electronic devices to increase oxygenated blood supply to injured muscles to speed healing. This type of aerobic exercise can do the same thing, except to the whole body at once. I use mine about five days a week, 45 minutes a day. It provides health benefits that weightlifting does not, along with allowing you to keep your body fat percentage low even when trying to bulk up. And since it is very low strain but still gets my heart rate up into the fat burning zone, I do not feel fatigued or tired as a result and it does not effect by weightlifting. Three days a week or less may not provide the full benefits of aerobic exercise.

However, if the resistance setting is high, or you are doing some high impact or stress inducing aerobic exercise like running or cross country skiing, this may actually be causing too much stress for the body when you are concurrently engaged in a weightlifting program.

But if you can get your heart rate up without straining yourself in the least, I think this is a good thing even done five or more days a week.

The obvious thing to point out is that in combination with lifting weights, this much cardio along with it means serious calorie burning. For this reason, many may find it difficult, although people with high body fat wishing to build muscle and lose fat at the same time may find that this type of cardiovascular exercise may help them achieve their goal.
    Last edited by rs1000; 11-08-2003 at 01:06 PM.

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by devl
    Uh, I know what it stands for. I was challenging his "crap" statement.
    I'd also like to know what he meant by that. Never heard anyone call it "crap" before...

Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miracle Fingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Stationary bike is more than enough for cardio, in fact it's the best thing.

Registered User honeybbqgrundle's Avatar
    honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10) honeybbqgrundle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just play sports or get a punching bag. warning: I have no idea what's good for cardio, but I know sports are more fun than running or biking and they get your heart rate up, so it should work

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by devl
    Hiit crap?

Please, do elaborate.
    Well, I admit that both are equally effective. You burn more fat while doing cardio, but you burn more fat after-the-fact with HIIT. The thing is, HIIT is so unenjoyable, I ****ing HATE sprinting more than anything, but I actually kind of enjoy sitting on the stationary bike or jogging along at a liesurely pace listening to my music. I will NEVER use HIIT for my cardio.