Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tatted_up has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Military press, Standing or sitting?

ive been doiung them standing up...i havent had any troubles. seeing as i dont have any spotter. but i was wondering if i should be doing them sitting down?
    EAT EAT EAT

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN

GET BIG

awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    its better for your back to do them standing.
    you could vary with sitting though. it doesnt matter that much
    My only desire is to be the best !

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    seated or standing; personal preference

btw, why do you need a spotter for them standing? i do them standing and don't need one...
    Booo

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ok um.....

this is just what I heard. That your doing a shoulder press if your seated. Your doing a military press if your standing.

Military press of course is alot harder cuase it recruits more muscles.

I do them seated with db's.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Standing, Sitting can be hard on the back, especialy when using heavier weights, besides, whats the point of training sitting down, are you ever going to lift something over your head sitting down in real life? I have yet to encounter this situation.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What's the point in benching? Are you ever going to lift someting laying down?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    What's the point in benching? Are you ever going to lift someting laying down?

ahhh, omebody is turning into another Henry with the 'functional strength' comments
    Booo

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    seated or standing; personal preference

bump...

Here_s johnny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do them standing, be a man. Doing them seated is so........so.............. well......bbing.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by Here's johnny
    Do them standing, be a man. Doing them seated is so........so.............. well......bbing.
    thats so much crap.......

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)

are we trying to .........to............. to ......... well ........ be a troll ?

lol

Originally posted by scott_donald
    bump
    Booo

Do you know why the great majority of bbers have VERY weak cores???

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    beceaus we don't do bent press

we do yes, and i think it's a mistake, i make sure i erase that mistake from my routines

Originally posted by midian
    are we trying to .........to............. to ......... well ........ be a troll ?
    No just stating a fact.

No just stating a fact.

you still must learn not all bodybuilders are complete and total idiots, some of us actually try and learn

beceaus we don't do bent press

we do yes, and i think it's a mistake, i make sure i erase that mistake from my routines
    I don't quite understand what you're saying.

not he ones that do propper training... i know that you are here for your daily anoyance of amucsclehead... so just dont bother... ask a question or answer one without stupid remarks...

you still must learn not all bodybuilders are complete and total idiots, some of us actually try and learn
    I know, please forgive me.

not I according to him. I'm a lost cause
    Booo

not he ones that do propper training... i know that you are here for your daily anoyance of amucsclehead... so just dont bother... ask a question or answer one without stupid remarks...
    Then do them standing, repeat,be a man.

Originally posted by amusclehead
    not I according to him. I'm a lost cause
    No ,not a lost cause. Just a young punk who needs to sit down and read a little.

Then do them standing, repeat,be a man.
    so what am i if i did them sitting down...

what about the fact that the seat behind at 85-90 degrees help stop you arching your back and using more chest in the lift...

and yes i know you can stand against a wall but that is awkward...

so what am i if i did them sitting down...

what about the fact that the seat behind at 85-90 degrees help stop you arching your back and using more chest in the lift...

and yes i know you can stand against a wall but that is awkward...
    Go ahead use a crutch. Doing overhead work while standing will expose any weak link in the posterior chain. Doing them seated only perpetuates a weak core.

Go ahead use a crutch. Doing overhead work while standing will expose any weak link in the posterior chain. Doing them seated only perpetuates a weak core.
    well personally i like hang clean and press so i am just talking for other people... but i bet you would find something wrong with doin that but who cares....

i think brit_beef is right and all the arguments should stop on here and everything should get back to normal...

well personally i like hang clean and press so i am just talking for other people... but i bet you would find something wrong with doin that but who cares....

No, absolutely not C&P is very good, but you'd be hard pressed to see it done at Gold's. Which leads back to my original point. I've seen a million workout programs on this board, and can't remember but a handfull who do such lifts. You, my pal, are in the minority.

No, absolutely not C&P is very good, but you'd be hard pressed to see it done at Gold's. Which leads back to my original point. I've seen a million workout programs on this board, and can't remember but a handfull who do such lifts. You, my pal, are in the minority.
    here are mine feel free to criticise...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=175194
    Last edited by scott_donald; 11-05-2003 at 12:46 PM.

shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I switch it up every 4 weeks

month 1-standing bebell
    month 2 - seated dumbell
    month 3-seated barbell
    month 4-standing dumbell

but I love doing standing bar presses because it takes alot more concentration than the others!

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Standing!

Expecially if you're tall. Lifting the average joe's bodyweight to a point higher than he can reach is supprisingly useful in real life.

I learned them standing and tried them seated once about a year ago. I wasn't used to it and wasn't positioned on the seat right and ended up straining my back.
    Last edited by ahab; 11-05-2003 at 01:55 PM.
    I'd rather be lifting.

BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Military press is my favourite shoulder exercise, but I also do seated dumbell presses regularly too. They both work the shoulders very well, which is the point really.
    http://www.hardcorebodybuilding.net/hb-db/phpBB2/index.php - only place I post now!

www.fortifiediron.com
    www.homefitness101.com

The original good guys....

bignbuff/sychokid/psupower/coneytt/LostProphet