Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Was studying martial arts worth the cost?

If you studied martial arts, was the monetary cost worth the knowledge you gained from it? Have you ever actually used what you learned in a real fight?
    “If you are born to the iron, you’ll know it the first time you lift” —-Joe Weider

WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500) WestIndiaQuay is not very helpful. (-500)
    How tf could it even be a waste?

Brb gaining knowledge
    Brb building fitness
    Brb learning new skill/technique
    Brb being able to defend yourself, your family, loved ones etc in times of danger
    Brb being more attractive to both men and women because you have a reputation of having hands
    Brb men wanna be you, women wanna be with you

Negged for dumb thread

ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ithappenss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ofc it is. teaches you discipline, will humble the f out of you real quick (if they allow sparring), confidence builder & good replacement for cardio too.

martial arts emphisises to de-escalate rather than to engage which is a good trait as nothing good comes from fighting on the street

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    If you studied martial arts, 1) was the monetary cost worth the knowledge you gained from it? 2) Have you ever actually used what you learned in a real fight?
    Howdy Ace....

1) I'd say yes, it was worth it (TKD for 1/5 years) because I was very serious and never missed a class or an opportunity to interact with the school Master.

2) No...I have not, but that's not why I took it.
    No one has ever fcked with me and I don't look for adversity. I disassociate myself from that mentality and avoid that type of environment.
    I don't live my life trying to prove anything to anyone but I'm not at all afraid should I somehow get into a confrontational situation.

One gets out of MA what one puts into it....just like anything else one may desire to excel at.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 03-20-2024 at 09:12 AM.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CellyTech has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ofc its worth it.

I've bumped heads with loads of kunts in my time. Irish gypsies that want a scrap at every chance they get, hard nut polish/rus/lithuanian kunts with something to prove if you end up back at a house party with 1 of their girlfriend's friends. Yeah its came in handy more than a handful of times. Thankfully not in quite awhile though.

Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WestIndiaQuay View Post
    How tf could it even be a waste?

Brb gaining knowledge
    Brb building fitness
    Brb learning new skill/technique
    Brb being able to defend yourself, your family, loved ones etc in times of danger
    Brb being more attractive to both men and women because you have a reputation of having hands
    Brb men wanna be you, women wanna be with you

Negged for dumb thread
    I’m not bashing it, I support studying martial arts, I just wanted people to share their experiences.
    “If you are born to the iron, you’ll know it the first time you lift” —-Joe Weider

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I dont think I have the patience to deal with it.

I do train with some boxing though. I have no intention of actually boxing anytime . The only reason I want to be handy with it is if rioters come to my town I can suppress them easier than using a 2 x 4 or something.

That stuff isnt going down in my town this election cycle without being met with opposition.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I started training in BJJ in early 2010. This past November (2023), I finally earned my black belt.

I started teaching as an assistant instructor as a blue belt in ~2013 and became the head instructor of our entire kids program as a brown belt in ~2020.

I stopped paying tuition in ~2016 and became a paid employee on payroll officially.

The above is to just illustrate my years of experience and general trajectory.

The years I did pay tuition, and all the other $$$ I've spent on tournament fees, equipment, etc was extremely worth it.

My time in the martial arts, more than anything has provided me life-long friendships, and some of the most powerful networking I think one could experience.

The cool thing about BJJ specifically, is it brings people together of all backgrounds. I have spent years training alongside of and forming legit friendships with doctors, attorneys, general contractors, veterinarians, VP's, construction workers, police officers, nurses, business people, small business owners, car salesman, on and on.

I've gotten jobs through my bjj contacts, gotten out of tickets, had injuries looked at for free, received legal advice, had work done on my house and car, on and on.

More importantly, I have a network of people that I know I can call upon and will have my back. My reputation is stellar in the community, and its paid off tremendously.

Besides networking, of course I've learned the skills necessary to defend myself in pretty much any situation (9 years of kickboxing exp as well), and I've maintained great cardiovascular shape.

I wouldnt trade my time in the martial arts for anything. i'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the concept of a "third-place" but martial arts gives you a legit community to form meaningful bonds with people. A place to blow off steam, learn and evolve, a real community and place to grow outside of work/home.

I see all the crybaby incels on the MISC struggling to form a social life. Go join a jiu jitsu gym, you'll meet every kind of person imaginable. Show up, work hard, dont be creepy, and you'll easily make as many friends as you'd want.
    Reps to all BJJ/grappling/MMA bros.

FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Took karate in my youth, honestly wish I went to wrestling camp, or took up judo or boxing. The Sensai who taught karate was also the US Olympic judo coach. Fooking a-hole parents made me pay for it myself in 7th grade. Brb have to fold and deliver 600+ newspapers a week just to break even with the classes.

Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reserrection has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

100%

Martial arts provides discipline, confidence that you can defend yourself, a great workout, and a level of camaraderie you won't find in most places

Definitely worth the cost imo

Originally Posted by pojo18 View Post
    I started training in BJJ in early 2010. This past November (2023), I finally earned my black belt.

I started teaching as an assistant instructor as a blue belt in ~2013 and became the head instructor of our entire kids program as a brown belt in ~2020.

I stopped paying tuition in ~2016 and became a paid employee on payroll officially.

The years I did pay tuition, and all the other $$$ I've spent on tournament fees, equipment, etc was extremely worth it.

My time in the martial arts, more than anything has provided me life-long friendships, and some of the most powerful networking I think one could experience.

The cool thing about BJJ specifically, is it brings people together of all backgrounds. I have spent years training alongside of and forming legit friendships with doctors, attorneys, general contractors, veterinarians, VP's, construction workers, police officers, nurses, business people, small business owners, car salesman, on and on.

I've gotten jobs through my bjj contacts, gotten out of tickets, had injuries looked at for free, received legal advice, had work done on my house and car, on and on.

More importantly, I have a network of people that I know I can call upon and will have my back. My reputation is stellar in the community, and its paid off tremendously.

Besides networking, of course I've learned the skills necessary to defend myself in pretty much any situation (9 years of kickboxing exp as well), and I've maintained great cardiovascular shape.

I wouldnt trade my time in the martial arts for anything. i'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the concept of a "third-place" but martial arts gives you a legit community to form meaningful bonds with people. A place to blow off steam, learn and evolve, a real community and place to grow outside of work/home.

I see all the crybaby incels on the MISC struggling to form a social life. Go join a jiu jitsu gym, you'll meet every kind of person imaginable. Show up, work hard, dont be creepy, and you'll easily make as many friends as you'd want.
    Great answer

OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OGfrom06 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Congrats on Black Belt

I am Blue Belt right now

BJJ is absolutely great for networking, completely agree

Not many can handle the ego-pop from BJJ, but those that can and thrive are great people to have as friends
    39 years young (I identify as being 29)
    PRs: Squat 315, Bench 265, Pullup x25
    Fasted blood glucose 91
    Uncut Diamond

pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pojo18 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OGfrom06 View Post
    Congrats on Black Belt

I am Blue Belt right now

BJJ is absolutely great for networking, completely agree

Not many can handle the ego-pop from BJJ, but those that can and thrive are great people to have as friends
    thanks dude

Blue is such a great belt, probably the favorite part of my journey. I feel most people grow the most at blue.

I spent 4.5 years at blue. when I first got my blue belt, I was 17 years old, thought I could take on the world, and instead wound up getting my ass kicked left and right.

by the time I was 4 stripes and heading to purple though, I was putting it to a few different black belts (granted I typically had a decent size advantage at 6'1'' and 225 lbs).

Typically, theres no pressure at blue belt either. People expect you to phuck up and theres almost no expectations. You can really just enjoy yourself, and focus solely on your own development as a grappler.
    Reps to all BJJ/grappling/MMA bros.

Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I took karate classes as a kid & it was a waste of time really, but i had fun.

Actual fighting involves contact, taking whacks in the face & giving them out.

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IMO the only things really worth pursuing are Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ.

If you are a grown man looking to learn some martial arts for fitness/general self defense purposes boxing and BJJ will suffice. There are really only three kicks that are practical for self defense/real world purposes. The front kick to the belly/lower rib/groin. The oblique kick. And the Thai leg kick. You also need to know how to check leg kicks.

Everything else is a waste of time and money. I did TKD and Judo in college. And while I enjoyed myself. Neither art are consistently producing a lot of good fighters in MMA. That tells you that, while they can be effective, they are held back by rules and traditions.

Judo can be phenomenal and is an amazing sport. But if you are a Judo guy you'll likely get wrecked VS a wrestler or BJJ guy with equal body stats/time training. Just the cold hard truth.

TKD can teach you some useful techniques but you are extremely susceptible to take-downs and the fact that there is no emphasis on strikes with the hands you miss a lot of opportunities. And as I mentioned earlier only three kicks are practical to use in a defensive situation.

I'm a cop. I spent many years working nights & security in a club area. So I got into a ton of physical altercations with people. The majority of what you learn in traditional martial arts is worthless.

donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) donblaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks dude

Blue is such a great belt, probably the favorite part of my journey. I feel most people grow the most at blue.

I spent 4.5 years at blue. when I first got my blue belt, I was 17 years old, thought I could take on the world, and instead wound up getting my ass kicked left and right.

by the time I was 4 stripes and heading to purple though, I was putting it to a few different black belts (granted I typically had a decent size advantage at 6'1'' and 225 lbs).

Typically, theres no pressure at blue belt either. People expect you to phuck up and theres almost no expectations. You can really just enjoy yourself, and focus solely on your own development as a grappler.
    I am totally experiencing that right now as a 48 year old blue belt.
    I'm at a place where I am not a complete noob but still new enough where we can laugh at the dumb mistakes.
    Totally just soaking in the experience alongside my younger boys who compete at a high level. I am trying to teach them to soak in the journey as well since thats the real prize.....not the medals.
    Last major open he beat out his team mate by decision (no points no advantages) He saw his team mate was so dejected he decided to trade medals with him without anyone telling him to do so.

Was a testament that my boys and i are on the right path with BJJ. Hardest thing I have ever tried......and no amount of money can be paid to achieve mastery. Just time, sweat, tears and persistence.

Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Channel83 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A man who has had his nose smashed three times in brawls will risk it
    again with hardly a thought. No amount of instruction in any lethal art can teach this – not
    unless the instructor is a sadist, and even then it would be difficult because the student’s
    experience would be artifically warped and limited.

San Francisco is a big karate town: in 1965 there were roughly seven thousand full-
    time fee-paying karate students roaming around the Bay Area… but in any active bar you
    can hear a story about a bartender who "busted up a guy who tried to pull some karate
    stuff.”

It hardly matters how many of the stories are true. The point is valid: the difference
    between survival and wipe-out in a physical crisis is nearly always a matter of conditioned
    reflexes. A bartender with scar tissue all over his knuckles will hit faster and harder than a
    karate-trained novice who has never been bloodied.

Hunter S Thompson
    Last edited by Channel83; 03-21-2024 at 01:32 PM.

Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Kawhilights has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I’ve been boxing for six months, and competed in a gym exhibition in February. Began sparring in December. It’s well worth the money. My cardio has never been better, my breathing and adrenaline management is very good now, and my confidence is super high.

Sparring you’ll be humbled all the time as a new person, but nobody is looking to knock you out in my gym. We don’t even spar hard really except for the few weeks leading up to the exhibition.
    Lurking since '05 - the days of VS gorilla/cloud/goku threads

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I enjoy playing judo and karate. Did bjj for some years in the past and did karate and tkd as a youth. I consider it worth the money. Judo and bjj I've found very similar, but with bjj people tend to be in larger clubs and are able to train more often which is a huge benefit.

I came back to focus on judo because I wanted my daughter to start with judo and train with her. My rationale is that I want her to know the acrobatics, tumbling, breakfalling hard throws, and so on...while young. That way, she won't ever be afraid of it. Later she'll be able to find a judo or more likely a bjj club wherever she goes.

I'd like to go back to bjj at some point, but also want to do kendo and I don't have enough years left to do everything. I'm nearing 50 so will maybe stay in judo till nidan and then once she goes off to school pick up one or the other to cross train...a bit undecided.

Although judo is 'the gentle way' it's actually pretty rough, and I grew up with football so this fills a desire for that rough competition that I can keep on playing as an adult. It's martial sport but I don't do it for self defense. That's imo kind of ridiculous. People have weapons and you're not going to judo or bjj or punch a bullet or a knife. Not succesfully in all likelihood anyway. It's for personal growth and comoradare, and appreciation and enjoying developing of the art. Something to fight is to fight off complacency and idleness in old age.
    EX IGNORANTIA AD SAPIENTIAM
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by guest89 View Post
    IMO the only things really worth pursuing are Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ.

If you are a grown man looking to learn some martial arts for fitness/general self defense purposes boxing and BJJ will suffice. There are really only three kicks that are practical for self defense/real world purposes. The front kick to the belly/lower rib/groin. The oblique kick. And the Thai leg kick. You also need to know how to check leg kicks.

Everything else is a waste of time and money. I did TKD and Judo in college. And while I enjoyed myself. Neither art are consistently producing a lot of good fighters in MMA. That tells you that, while they can be effective, they are held back by rules and traditions.

Judo can be phenomenal and is an amazing sport. But if you are a Judo guy you'll likely get wrecked VS a wrestler or BJJ guy with equal body stats/time training. Just the cold hard truth.

TKD can teach you some useful techniques but you are extremely susceptible to take-downs and the fact that there is no emphasis on strikes with the hands you miss a lot of opportunities. And as I mentioned earlier only three kicks are practical to use in a defensive situation.

I'm a cop. I spent many years working nights & security in a club area. So I got into a ton of physical altercations with people. The majority of what you learn in traditional martial arts is worthless.
    Have to agree that the rules of judo hold back the development of your grappling in a lot of ways. It does also increase your skills at some important things, but I started judo when you can leg grab and ankle pick and so on...and taking that out is a real loss. I understand why the Olympics want to differentiate sports, but ALMOST EVERYONE is NOT going to the Olympics. If I was running a you know, local club where it's just basically normal people I would just ignore it most of the time except for comp prep phase.

You're also limited in how you develop your ground game...you only have 5 seconds to improve what you're doing or that's it. Back on your feet. In a way that's cool and it does make you learn to throw and know exactly what you're supposed to do on the ground...but it's available to stall as strategy which can really ruin it.

I'd also love it if we would train without the jacket some. At least some. The bjj club I was at had a lot of no gi and that's a very attractive aspect of grappling.

The level of ground game is also so deep with bjj you're never going to see it in judo. While most of those techniques are in judo the time is just not spent on getting to most of it. You have to be picky with your time in judo with what you're going to be doing on the ground because most of your time is going to be standing. At least most places that I've seen.

And yeah, a bjj solid blue or up is going to wear out a lot of the upper belts on the ground. But...but, they are not going to most likely have the gripping game a judo guy has because their rules...it's just 2 points. In bjj you're going to live past the throw and your game is just starting.

Regarding mma fighters...Idk...that's a unique set of demands that bjj no gi fits really well. Judo is in a gi. That's just what it is...and another big thing in terms of turning out fighters...bjj to judo schools are 20 to 1. People don't like getting thrown and a school with good mats, sprung floor...etc, how big can that actually be?

Biggest judo club I played at was a college club that worked out in the varsity wrestling room. Those guys were killers. But general public doesn't normally get access to a university facility.
    EX IGNORANTIA AD SAPIENTIAM
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THE-BEEF has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started doing BJJ last summer and it's been nothing but positive. It has motivated me to eat better and train harder. It's also was the main factor in me cutting down my alcohol consumption to near zero. I've also met some cool people.
    It is definitely an ego killer. Reality smacks you pretty hard when you are getting choked out.
    Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck And still keep your attitude on self-destruct

on recharge: DrugsToGetBig

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I took shootfighting for about 8 years I think on and off. It definitely made me feel more comfortable in knowing I could defend myself against someone who wasn't trained and humbled me greatly to understand that even after 8 years... you can still get your butt kicked and handed to you. I think it's something every guy should have in their back pocket. Probably not that extensive, but everyone should do a month or two crash course in at least how to get into a proper fighting stance, how to sprawl avoid getting taken down but also in de-escalation tactics. So many fights I've avoided by just saying man, let's grab a shot or grabbing a friend who's getting froggy and telling him let's grab a smoke outside.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
    Have to agree that the rules of judo hold back the development of your grappling in a lot of ways. It does also increase your skills at some important things, but I started judo when you can leg grab and ankle pick and so on...and taking that out is a real loss. I understand why the Olympics want to differentiate sports, but ALMOST EVERYONE is NOT going to the Olympics. If I was running a you know, local club where it's just basically normal people I would just ignore it most of the time except for comp prep phase.

You're also limited in how you develop your ground game...you only have 5 seconds to improve what you're doing or that's it. Back on your feet. In a way that's cool and it does make you learn to throw and know exactly what you're supposed to do on the ground...but it's available to stall as strategy which can really ruin it.

I'd also love it if we would train without the jacket some. At least some. The bjj club I was at had a lot of no gi and that's a very attractive aspect of grappling.

The level of ground game is also so deep with bjj you're never going to see it in judo. While most of those techniques are in judo the time is just not spent on getting to most of it. You have to be picky with your time in judo with what you're going to be doing on the ground because most of your time is going to be standing. At least most places that I've seen.

And yeah, a bjj solid blue or up is going to wear out a lot of the upper belts on the ground. But...but, they are not going to most likely have the gripping game a judo guy has because their rules...it's just 2 points. In bjj you're going to live past the throw and your game is just starting.

Regarding mma fighters...Idk...that's a unique set of demands that bjj no gi fits really well. Judo is in a gi. That's just what it is...and another big thing in terms of turning out fighters...bjj to judo schools are 20 to 1. People don't like getting thrown and a school with good mats, sprung floor...etc, how big can that actually be?

Biggest judo club I played at was a college club that worked out in the varsity wrestling room. Those guys were killers. But general public doesn't normally get access to a university facility.
    Good post. Thats way too much to get into but im gonna say Judo and other martial arts that are also professional sports are not the same as traditional arts.There are techniques to kill in almost every martial arts and ive studied black science For people unaware black science isnt some race chit. Its the science of killing.

Judo has somw waza that could easily split someones head open. And your right no one wants to be man handled. Felt powerless againt a veteran who was tought by a gold medal judo champian. or that was the story anyway. If your good at Judo and certain other arts it shouldnt even go to the ground.

Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skirrel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    of course it's worth it, it's good for cardio and enhancing reflexes, self defense, among other things

just make sure its something you can be consistent with. i liked bjj at first until later on... that said i never tested for my blue belt and stopped going last year, but instead just stuck with some other martial arts like muay thai

with bjj, i got sick of coming home covered in other dudes' sweat (no homo) and rolling around with stinky dudes. dont let me or anyone else stop you from trying it out or doing it though

Registered Anti-Hero SicilianPower's Avatar
    SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It wasn’t worth the cost and I don’t just mean monetarily, I mean in terms of time I won’t get back and in terms of the wear in the body.

Combat sports and martial arts have been my passion since I was a kid..however I had goals to make it my career. Unfortunately I wasn’t consistent enough to make a career out of it.

However I was consistent enough to allow it to take up such a large portion of my life I wasn’t able to spend time learning more applicable skills in the real world.

If I could go back in time instead of spending all these hours boxing, wrestling, doing BJJ, doing Karate, etc I would have put that time and effort into a career or trade. But instead I thought I was gonna build my skills up in the combat world and be one of only 200-400 people on the UFC roster or make money as a pro boxer. All the pro boxers I train with have day jobs, they don’t make a living off of boxing and very few do. Same for any of the mma pros.

On top of that I’ve probably had several concussions, I have a deviated septum I have to take a nasal spray for to open up my nostril, not to mention the minor injuries I dealt with but eventually healed.

All for what? To be a tough guy? I was already a capable scrapper before I trained..the level of experience I have has basically put me at a level where I couldn’t compete with UFC caliber guys most local professionals, but I could compete and do well in local amateurs.

I’m comfortable in my chances against the vast majority of people walking around. But if you want to be able to beat most people in case of self defense scenarios..just lifting heavy/functionally and hitting the heavy bag will already give you an advantage over 80% of the population, maybe more.

There is no reason to dump thousands of dollars and hours of time into a combat sport and accumulate injuries if you aren’t planning on competing.
    *MMA Crew
    *Boxing Crew
    *Agnostic Crew
    *Wavy Hair Crew
    *Right-Wing Crew
    *INTP (Logician) Crew
    *Hazel-Green Eyes Crew

Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Akd123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SicilianPower View Post
    It wasn’t worth the cost and I don’t just mean monetarily, I mean in terms of time I won’t get back and in terms of the wear in the body.

Combat sports and martial arts have been my passion since I was a kid..however I had goals to make it my career. Unfortunately I wasn’t consistent enough to make a career out of it.

However I was consistent enough to allow it to take up such a large portion of my life I wasn’t able to spend time learning more applicable skills in the real world.

If I could go back in time instead of spending all these hours boxing, wrestling, doing BJJ, doing Karate, etc I would have put that time and effort into a career or trade. But instead I thought I was gonna build my skills up in the combat world and be one of only 200-400 people on the UFC roster or make money as a pro boxer. All the pro boxers I train with have day jobs, they don’t make a living off of boxing and very few do. Same for any of the mma pros.

On top of that I’ve probably had several concussions, I have a deviated septum I have to take a nasal spray for to open up my nostril, not to mention the minor injuries I dealt with but eventually healed.

All for what? To be a tough guy? I was already a capable scrapper before I trained..the level of experience I have has basically put me at a level where I couldn’t compete with UFC caliber guys most local professionals, but I could compete and do well in local amateurs.

I’m comfortable in my chances against the vast majority of people walking around. But if you want to be able to beat most people in case of self defense scenarios..just lifting heavy/functionally and hitting the heavy bag will already give you an advantage over 80% of the population, maybe more.

There is no reason to dump thousands of dollars and hours of time into a combat sport and accumulate injuries if you aren’t planning on competing.
    80% of the population? Yeah,ok buddy!

Registered Anti-Hero SicilianPower's Avatar
    SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Akd123 View Post
    80% of the population? Yeah,ok buddy!
    Absolutely..a guy who is physically strong and knows how to throw basic combinations in which he practices often is going to be able to handle 80% of the population.

Most people walking around have no idea how to even throw a punch and can’t even bench 135.

Assume 60% of the population are weak, physically incapable, out of shape, Never been in a fight, likely never even been hit.

20% of the population are like everyday bros and past their prime dads who have been in some tussles in their lives but would get mauled by someone who has any basic understanding of combat and is physically active/lifting heavy.

15% of the population is gonna consist of people who are likely going be tougher and stronger than you at that point if you are just a functional lifter who hits the bag. In this group it’s basically legit tough guys, athletes, convicts, people with moderate training..people who are just overall more skilled, tougher and stronger than you.

Then an elite 5% which consists of trained combatants, and within that 5% a super elite 1% who are basically national level or world class fighters/wreslters/boxers/BJJ practitioners.
    *MMA Crew
    *Boxing Crew
    *Agnostic Crew
    *Wavy Hair Crew
    *Right-Wing Crew
    *INTP (Logician) Crew
    *Hazel-Green Eyes Crew

Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I trained Muay Thai with a former fighter, he just had a few people around to train in his apartment gym. 10 dollars a session. Very cheap way of training, very worth it.

I've done self defense before like Karate and a TKD demo but found it useless, just not realistic for a real situation. Muay Thai much better, simpler, brutal and easy to apply. My favourite was clinch work and elbows since most people, if they get into a fight, just throw punches and have no idea how to even throw punches - the average haymaker is easy to deal with for a trained fighter and doesn't even really hurt if it connects somewhere other than the jaw or temple or other vital area. I remember getting hit with a haymaker and it just tickled my lip, I didn't even flinch and kept going.

An untrained fighter gets into a clinch, he won't have any idea what to do. The fighters I fear aren't obnoxious and violent drunks or bar brawlers, it's BJJ guys.

But never, ever get into fights unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Back off, Warchild.

Seriously.

Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bodhy View Post
    I trained Muay Thai with a former fighter, he just had a few people around to train in his apartment gym. 10 dollars a session. Very cheap way of training, very worth it.

I've done self defense before like Karate and a TKD demo but found it useless, just not realistic for a real situation. Muay Thai much better, simpler, brutal and easy to apply. My favourite was clinch work and elbows since most people, if they get into a fight, just throw punches and have no idea how to even throw punches - the average haymaker is easy to deal with for a trained fighter and doesn't even really hurt if it connects somewhere other than the jaw or temple or other vital area. I remember getting hit with a haymaker and it just tickled my lip, I didn't even flinch and kept going.

An untrained fighter gets into a clinch, he won't have any idea what to do. The fighters I fear aren't obnoxious and violent drunks or bar brawlers, it's BJJ guys.

But never, ever get into fights unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Never, ever get into fights unless it's absolutely necessary, like in the situation below:

Originally Posted by Bodhy
    OP, when I was 20 I was young and full of testosterone and cum. I was training Muay Thai as a hobby, and kept wondering if it actually work if chit really hit the fan. I had the very immature mentality that a real man got into fights and won them.

One night at the club, I decided to deliberately pick a fight so I could "test it out". I did a thing similar to Begbie from Trainspotting where I intentionally checked into a dude and pretended as if he'd shoved me. I squared off and started the fight.

Put him into a Muay Thai clinch and delivered a few knees, then took him to the ground and just started laying into him with a flurry if punches. The dude was already knocked out and I was just punching his unconscious body. The bouncers rushed in to break it up, which was lucky, because I would have killed him had it gone on any further.

Exceptionally stupid thing to do and I regret the chit out of it. It's simple luck that the guy didn't die and I would still be rotting in a cell as we speak.
    Got it.

LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LargePeter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Anachron View Post
    Never, ever get into fights unless it's absolutely necessary, like in the situation below:

Got it.
    Fuk, beat me to it
    RAW DOG CREW LIEUTENANT

LandLORD Crew
    Piss In Sink Crew
    Waffle Stomp Crew
    President Donald J Trump Crew
    Misc Lifters Crew
    Mustang Crew
    Robert Pickton Hooker Disposal Crew
    White Conservative Heterosexual Male Who IS a White Supremacist Crew (Ded fkn Srs)

bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bfdehewdbyywhn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No
    too many criminals with guns now or that fight in large groups. I quit after a few years and injuries
    HTC is too skinny for me. Fat Girls only crew. serious
    Chubby Chaser and Fat Girls Only crew Founder