GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Dead and Active Hangs

I'm trying to improve overall grip strength and rehab some old shoulder/scapula issues. Any advice on dead and/or active hangs as adjuncts to fat grips, farmer's carries, etc. ?

StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I usually dead hang between heavy squat sets, and rather do weighted pull up or chin up than active hang, which I superset with press behind neck. I credit deadlift sets with grip strength, after which I'll do hanging leg or knee raise. I've avoided shoulder problems, which I feel is due to constant flat bench dumbbell and barbell pullovers.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would say dead hangs for 10-30 seconds tends to be a sweet spot. Often, I find myself in between sets walking over and just hanging for a bit, then going back to what I was doing. Anything more than 30 seconds personally starts becoming an "exercise" rather than a recovery tool (which has value too!)

But definitely on any days where I'm compressing the spine (overhead presses or squats), I try to mix in hangs or hanging leg raises as my core work.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GravelMn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the answers. I'm currently unable to complete unassisted pull-ups but am working on it (currently a poor strength to weight ratio). So far, dead hangs seem to be helping with shoulder mobility and upper back pain. With pull-ups or active hangs I get quite a click in my R shoulder, which my ortho said I'll just have to live with as there is nothing currently bad enough to require surgery.

kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    For improving grip strength and shoulder/scapula issues, dead hangs can be beneficial. Start with passive dead hangs to stretch and gradually progress to active hangs to engage the muscles more. Combine with exercises like fat grips and farmer's carries for a comprehensive approach.