jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cheap hex dumbells any regrets

At home I have IronMasters with the expansion pack. So realistically I have all the weight I'll ever need.
    But when at the gym it is so nice to just grab a set without fiddling with any adjusting. So I'm shopping.

Youtubers really push the Rep rubber hex
    CAP seems cheap in the USA but not so cheap here in Canada

I found these "ORION" sets for way cheaper then the REP and they look ok on the internets which could mean anything in real life: https://www.northernfitness.ca/colle.../dumbbell-sets
    What I like is I can get the 1-50 or 75 now then add up to 100 later

Anyone any experience?

And

How are there so few posts in this Workout Equipment section?!?! Only a page and a bit of posts?!?
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you'll probably notice a difference in the grip shape and knurl more than anything. The ergo handles that are not straight are often not very liked by most. Rep has straight handled dumbells that are the big selling point. I think dicks sporting goods ethos have a straight handle too.

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had not considered that the ergo would be worse and not better. I assumed it was a step up! I will have to try some out first I guess to make sure I know what works.
    Thank you!
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post
    I had not considered that the ergo would be worse and not better. I assumed it was a step up! I will have to try some out first I guess to make sure I know what works.
    Thank you!
    It's not really better or worse. It's entire subjective. I have dumbbells with both straight and ergo handles. I like straight better but I'm not planning on getting rid of the ergos. Some prefer ergos.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Right on

I found a couple older threads too:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...1454681&page=1

and

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=120794811

I'll see which I like better. If I don't care which then price will win, and over time whichever I buy will probably become my favourite and I'll tell everyone why they are better.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just got rid of my hex cast iron dumbbells and got a full set (5-90 in 5lb increments) of CAP rubber coated hex dumbbells with the ergo handles. I also have the full set of IronMaster dumbbells with the heavy handle and add-on kit so they go up to 135lb. My old cast iron hex dumbbell set was in 5lb increments from 5-50 and 10lb from 60-100 (I used PlateMates to hit the 5s). I've developed arthritis in my left thumb and holding the straight handled dumbbells at heavier weights has become somewhat painful. The ergo handles are more comfortable for me on pressing movements. I use lifting straps for most pulling movements and using straps on the ergo handles is a little less secure feeling, but I'm getting by. I went with the CAP brand because the price new was relatively cheap (about $1 per lb up to 60s and not too much more when you get over that weight) plus WalMart has free shipping in the US. From the research on rubber coated dumbbells I've done it seems that they're pretty much all made in the same place and just stamped differently. Rogue says they have some proprietary way they attach the heads to the handles, but I can't see they're going to be much more secure, plus their shipping is outrageous. Rep was the only other company I was considering but their handles are straight and I read they're a little longer than standard with can throw off balance, especially if you don't have large hands. I had that problem with the IronMasters until I got the heavy handle kit. So far I'm really happy with the CAP rubber coated hex dumbbells. The weight tolerances have been within a pound or two on everything over 60lbs and pretty much spot on below that. The rubber coated dumbbells are much larger than the cast iron ones and take up much more room on my Body Solid 3 tier dumbbell rack, I can only fit 3 pairs per shelf when I get over 60lbs compared to 4 pair per shelf of the cast iron. I'm going to have to go with another storage option so I can get the 95s and 100s to fill out my set.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some of the cheaper dumbbells can come apart between the handle and head, or just become loose and wobbly, this can be a hazard.

Regarding ergo grip, I prefer thicker straight grip, ergos can be kind of thin.

If I had unlimited budget I'd do a full set of Iron Grip urethane dumbbells but I don't so I just use my Ironmasters and handful of random smaller cast iron hexes.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I collected hex rubber/urethane dumbbells during the pandemic, and got by for awhile with just them, set of 10-80lbs ultimately. I've found I almost never use them once I got a rack/bar/plates, and functional trainer. No reason to sell them, since I'll lose big time since I paid pandemic markup on them.

kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've had positive experiences with the Rep rubber hex dumbbells. As for the ORION sets, they seem like a good deal, especially with the option to add more weight later. Regarding the lack of posts in the Workout Equipment section, it might just be an underutilized forum area.