erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What are some good supporting exercises to build squat strength?

I train exclusively for strength. I am going to try squatting once every two weeks like Tom Platz, but I need a leg exercise to do in the intervening weeks to help build strength. What is a good one? Right now, only lunges and leg presses are coming to mind. Are either of these good for building strength? Both seem to be more optimal for mass.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IIRC you have good squat #s, but you're misunderstanding how to squeeze a little more juice out of the lemon. You need to examine your own specific squat and figure out if there are any weak points in your movement that you need to work on - it's not just quads. It could also be your core, lower back, upper back, hips, hamstrings, etc.

Once you identify where you may be having sticking points - you can figure out what additional exercises might help.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well OP, your routine is not designed well for strength so answering your question is a bit pointless sadly. No real strength routine would neglect the squat pattern that much... most strength routines will have you hitting squat pattern movements at least twice a week. I'd say... don't hop on a Tom Platz routine as he was a genetic freak with a ton of gear coursing through his veins...
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Aren't you squatting 2.5x your bodyweight?

The answer is the same as it has been before, you need specialized training
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some of the exercises that'll likely benefit you the most will be squat variations themselves, not completely different exercises.

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    Well OP, your routine is not designed well for strength so answering your question is a bit pointless sadly. No real strength routine would neglect the squat pattern that much... most strength routines will have you hitting squat pattern movements at least twice a week. I'd say... don't hop on a Tom Platz routine as he was a genetic freak with a ton of gear coursing through his veins...
    I don't intend to copy Tom Platz' entire routine, only the fact that he squatted once every two weeks. I have noticed that I am much stronger in the gym when give myself a week in between sessions, which is why I want to experiment with making a routine out of it. Do you think that those assisted squat machines could be useful, if I overload them with more weight than I normally squat? That would allow me to at least practice the movement, although it wouldn't be exact, of course.

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Aren't you squatting 2.5x your bodyweight?

The answer is the same as it has been before, you need specialized training
    I really hope to avoid this route. I do not have the time, money, or desire for specialized training. Also, for that it's worth, I have never hit 2.5x bodyweight; my best was 2.44.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    IIRC you have good squat #s, but you're misunderstanding how to squeeze a little more juice out of the lemon. You need to examine your own specific squat and figure out if there are any weak points in your movement that you need to work on - it's not just quads. It could also be your core, lower back, upper back, hips, hamstrings, etc.

Once you identify where you may be having sticking points - you can figure out what additional exercises might help.
    How can I identify these sticking points? Are there tests that I can use, or exercises that I can perform to expose where my weaknesses are?

Originally Posted by erigni View Post
    How can I identify these sticking points? Are there tests that I can use, or exercises that I can perform to expose where my weaknesses are?
    Dude as I said above, you squat. If you're not in tune with your own muscles, movement and control of your own body & the bar, it's going to be tough to identify any weak points.

Dude as I said above, you squat.
    I know you're not being serious.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How can I identify these sticking points?
    They're. The. Points. Where. You. Are. Sticking.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do you have access to a friendly large sized dog?

Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Dude as I said above, you squat. If you're not in tune with your own muscles, movement and control of your own body & the bar, it's going to be tough to identify any weak points.
    How would it be possible to identify exactly which muscle or muscle group is holding you back only by performing a compound movement like the squat? Various muscle groups contribute to the exercise, such that, unless there is a severe weakness in one area, it would be impossible to determine that the lower back, or the core, or the quads, are the exact areas of weakness. It makes sense that these weaknesses might only be drawn out through other exercises that target specific muscle groups more directly. If you realize that you seriously struggle with leg raises or weighted crunches with a reasonable weight, it makes sense to think that your core is holding you back. But it might be difficult to see that if you are only using squats to diagnose that.

Some of the exercises that'll likely benefit you the most will be squat variations themselves, not completely different exercises.
    Thank you. I apologize for not seeing this post earlier.
    Last edited by erigni; 03-12-2024 at 04:16 PM.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    They're. The. Points. Where. You. Are. Sticking.
    I have always seen that as more of a form issue than a strength one. My sticking points have always been at the bottom of the squat and deadlift, but keeping a narrower stance on the squat eliminated that problem, even when I go below parallel which is more difficult to do with a narrow grip. Keeping close to the bar with deadlifts eliminated that problem there. I have not seen a specific point in the squat where I struggle every single time. Either the weight is heavy and I struggle at the bottom and as I come up, or the weight is manageable and the lift goes smoothly. However, I will continue to monitor this in case I am not paying close enough attention.

I know you're not being serious.
    How would it be possible to identify exactly which muscle or muscle group is holding you back only by performing a compound movement like the squat? Various muscle groups contribute to the exercise, such that, unless there is a severe weakness in one area, it would be impossible to determine that the lower back, or the core, or the quads, are the exact areas of weakness. It makes sense that these weaknesses might only be drawn out through other exercises that target specific muscle groups more directly. If you realize that you seriously struggle with leg raises or weighted crunches with a reasonable weight, it makes sense to think that your core is holding you back. But it might be difficult to see that if you are only using squats to diagnose that.
    It's clear that you think my advice is either an outright joke or nonsensical, which is fine. Not necessary to debate, do whatever works best for you... good luck!

It's clear that you think my advice is either an outright joke or nonsensical, which is fine. Not necessary to debate, do whatever works best for you... good luck!
    I don't think your advice is a joke. Sometimes you have used sarcasm in your replies, and I initially thought that you were doing so when you said to just squat and get a feel for where weaknesses lie. That was when I posted my first reply. I later read the thread over again, and realized that you were most likely being serious, which is when I posted the second reply, which is an attempt to understand what you are suggesting.

I don't think your advice is a joke. Sometimes you have used sarcasm in your replies, and I initially thought that you were doing so when you said to just squat and get a feel for where weaknesses lie. That was when I posted my first reply. I later read the thread over again, and realized that you were most likely being serious, which is when I posted the second reply, which is an attempt to understand what you are suggesting.
    I'm pretty sure I've been mostly serious in my replies to you in the past. You also said what I'm suggesting is impossible just above, which is why I'm reluctant to waste my time or yours trying to convince you to examine your own squat - rather than leg raises or weighted crunches as you suggested. I would think what I'm saying would be pretty obvious to any serious lifter.

On the upside, you've achieved great numbers with your hammer-nail approach, while most people wouldn't be able to achieve this without being more attune to nuances with programming and body awareness that you seem to lack based on your posts.

Along those lines, if you'd like specific feedback on your weaknesses and sticking points, please post 1 or more videos when you feel you're struggling and some comments on what you're feeling as you do them. I don't trust your textual description alone. You're also not some beginner to whom universal cookie cutter advice is going to be helpful.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have always seen that as more of a form issue than a strength one. My sticking points have always been at the bottom of the squat and deadlift, but keeping a narrower stance on the squat eliminated that problem, even when I go below parallel which is more difficult to do with a narrow grip. Keeping close to the bar with deadlifts eliminated that problem there. I have not seen a specific point in the squat where I struggle every single time. Either the weight is heavy and I struggle at the bottom and as I come up, or the weight is manageable and the lift goes smoothly. However, I will continue to monitor this in case I am not paying close enough attention.
    Could just be inconsistent form. Taking videos would help you look for that. As for a general recommendation, doing pin squats or tempo squats could help you pay attention to your form.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP, this is sound advice.

If you have not already incorporated squat variations in your weekly routine, this would be the next best step to help you continue progressing in strength; consider Stronglifts5x5 Intermediate for detailed explanation about how to do this. I'd recommend pause squat variation, as does Stronglifts.

If this is old news because you have already thoroughly done this and extracted as much as you can by doing this, then you need to look at something more like speed work and ab work; consider checking out Westside for this. This will either make you or break you.

Enjoy!

Merrick11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I train exclusively for strength. I am going to try squatting once every two weeks like Tom Platz, but I need a leg exercise to do in the intervening weeks to help build strength. What is a good one? Right now, only lunges and leg presses are coming to mind. Are either of these good for building strength? Both seem to be more optimal for mass.
    Both lunges and leg presses can help you improve strength, but they are primarily designed to increase muscle growth. Consider Bulgarian split squats or step-ups for unilateral strength development.

kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimnancy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lunges and leg presses can indeed help build strength, especially when done with heavy weights and low reps. Additionally, exercises like Romanian deadlifts, step-ups, and Bulgarian split squats are great for targeting leg strength and stability.

LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100) LABum is not very well liked. (-100)
    Highly recommend adding an extra pasta meal in your daily diet to increase those squat numbers. Otherwise, if you're truly going full range of motion of 90 degrees at the knees, then recommend heavy calf raises.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some walking throughout the week might help part of things. Cardio helps leg performance considerably.
    Last edited by TheShadowMan; 03-20-2024 at 10:56 PM.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000) NinGood is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Lunges and leg presses are solid picks for boosting your squat strength, for sure. If you need more variety, you might want to throw in some deadlifts, especially the Romanian kind, to work on your hamstrings and back. Bulgarian split squats and step-ups can also be super helpful for targeting each leg and improving your balance. If you need more specific advice or a customized plan, hitting up a trainer at fitness connection could be rather helpful. They know their stuff in building strength.
    Last edited by NinGood; 03-22-2024 at 11:28 PM.

Originally Posted by StephenCGreen View Post
    OP, this is sound advice.

If you have not already incorporated squat variations in your weekly routine, this would be the next best step to help you continue progressing in strength; consider Stronglifts5x5 Intermediate for detailed explanation about how to do this. I'd recommend pause squat variation, as does Stronglifts.

If this is old news because you have already thoroughly done this and extracted as much as you can by doing this, then you need to look at something more like speed work and ab work; consider checking out Westside for this. This will either make you or break you.

Enjoy!
    I've decided to start doing front squats based on that advice.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Could just be inconsistent form. Taking videos would help you look for that. As for a general recommendation, doing pin squats or tempo squats could help you pay attention to your form.
    My form has definitely been inconsistent in the past, although I believe that I recently found my sweet spot with a narrower stance. Squatting no longer feels awkward. Nevertheless, I should record myself more.

I'm pretty sure I've been mostly serious in my replies to you in the past. You also said what I'm suggesting is impossible just above, which is why I'm reluctant to waste my time or yours trying to convince you to examine your own squat - rather than leg raises or weighted crunches as you suggested. I would think what I'm saying would be pretty obvious to any serious lifter.

On the upside, you've achieved great numbers with your hammer-nail approach, while most people wouldn't be able to achieve this without being more attune to nuances with programming and body awareness that you seem to lack based on your posts.

Along those lines, if you'd like specific feedback on your weaknesses and sticking points, please post 1 or more videos when you feel you're struggling and some comments on what you're feeling as you do them. I don't trust your textual description alone. You're also not some beginner to whom universal cookie cutter advice is going to be helpful.
    I appreciate your advice about just doing a squat variation, and I have decided to incorporate front squats into my routine. I also agree that, when it comes to the squatting movement pattern, I definitely have a lack of body awareness. That is improving very gradually, but I can feel it as I squat.

I also should be more careful with my words. When I said "impossible", I meant "nearly impossible". That being said, that post wasn't well-thought-out at all. A squat variation to support the back squat is the obvious answer.

I appreciate your advice about just doing a squat variation, and I have decided to incorporate front squats into my routine. I also agree that, when it comes to the squatting movement pattern, I definitely have a lack of body awareness. That is improving very gradually, but I can feel it as I squat.

I also should be more careful with my words. When I said "impossible", I meant "nearly impossible". That being said, that post wasn't well-thought-out at all. A squat variation to support the back squat is the obvious answer.
    No worries, on these forums it's common for people to already know the type of answer they want, so there's no point in trying to convince them otherwise.

Front squats won't hurt, but often variations like pin squats & pause squats help people get past specific sticking points. There may also be "non-squat" exercises that can help you. But again, we'd need to see videos of your form, speed & consistency to help you specifically - otherwise we're playing a guessing game with cookie cutter advice which isn't what you need at your level.

Like I said above, your hammer-to-nail approach has gotten you impressively far - but you'll need to get in tune with your body/form/balance/movement if you want to squeeze more juice out of the lemon.