william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Flexibility exercises for deadlift and squat.

Hi,

I've been experiencing a lot of issues with pain in my SI joint and my sacrum area with squats and deadlifts. (I also have thoracic spine pain). I've also noticed that I have a "butt wink" issue in my squat and in my leg press.

I've been working on fixing my form for multiple months (keeping a neutral spine, bracing properly, hip hinging properly, keeping the bar in a straight path, etc.). I've asked people numerous times to verify my form which have all said that it looks fine (gym trainers, and other gym goers). I've also seaked physio therapy help which hasn't helped so for.

I've done numerous exercises to work on hip strength and stability (squat university exercises like side plank clamshells, and core strength stuff like the McGill big 3).

The problem doesn't seem to be related to weight, because I can deadlift 335 lbs, and 95 lbs, and the pain seems to be the same in both.

The pain is worst when I actually let go of the bar on the floor (for the deadlift), and get back up. Simply breathing out (or letting go of the brace after I let go of the bar, when I'm just standing up without load), is where the pain seems to hit worst.

My question is, if my form seems to be perfect, but I am still getting pain (not in my lumbar spine, but more specifically in my sacrum/coccyx/si joint area), could it be related to hamstring or glute tightness (they are both quite tight), or other muscles like ankles & hips? If so, what exercises should I do to improve my flexibility/mobility to specifically address my SI joint/sacrum pain while squatting and deadlifting.

TLDR; what flexibility/mobility exercises should I do to prevent "butt wink" and pain/tightness in my SI joint area during squatting and deadlifting?

Thank you

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you would post videos of you squatting and deadlifting, we may be able to provide useful form feedback. You can post youtube links before you have 50 posts if you add a space to break the url.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is where I'd start considering alternatives. Is this effort worth fixing? Personally, as someone who has no intention of competing in powerlifting... I would just find alternatives I could do.

Instead of pulls from the floors... I'd pull from the rack or blocks or do Yates Deadlifts or trap bar deadlifts.

Instead of back squats... I'd hit high box squats with a cushion to start, front squats (and front squat to a box), zercher squats (and zercher to a box).

Hell, I'd even do kettlebell swings and front squats.

If you want to fix it, you should get a coach. It's very hard, even by video, to see everything happening. How your breathing, exactly how tight you are, where you are tight, bracing, spreading the floor, etc. These can't be seen easily on video. Pay the 100 bucks or so and get a powerlifting coach to get you right.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10) william1a2b is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    This is where I'd start considering alternatives. Is this effort worth fixing? Personally, as someone who has no intention of competing in powerlifting... I would just find alternatives I could do.

Instead of pulls from the floors... I'd pull from the rack or blocks or do Yates Deadlifts or trap bar deadlifts.

Instead of back squats... I'd hit high box squats with a cushion to start, front squats (and front squat to a box), zercher squats (and zercher to a box).

Hell, I'd even do kettlebell swings and front squats.

If you want to fix it, you should get a coach. It's very hard, even by video, to see everything happening. How your breathing, exactly how tight you are, where you are tight, bracing, spreading the floor, etc. These can't be seen easily on video. Pay the 100 bucks or so and get a powerlifting coach to get you right.

Thanks. I will consider the alternatives and most probably get a coach to see if I can fix the issue.

I really appreciate the detailed response .

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    If you would post videos of you squatting and deadlifting, we may be able to provide useful form feedback. You can post youtube links before you have 50 posts if you add a space to break the url.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a video up.

BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100) BartieMusa is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by william1a2b View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a video up.
    Bartie Musa my flexibility is terrible after years of deadlifting and squatting lol. I think flexibility really needs a dedicated day, especially with excess sitting.