Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by anubi5 View Post
    Hello... I'm not sure if I'm eating right. I'm trying to get bigger. I'm skinny at 64 kilos 175cm. I eat ALLOT in my opinion and everyone around me. Personal trainers tell me that if I want to get bigger, to eat lots of carbs. I'm thinking that excessively increasing my calorie intake through carbs is just going to make me fat. I don't want to get fat, I want bigger muscles. I don't mind being slim but I DO want bigger muscles.

Carbs wont make you fat. Gives u good energy throughout the day. Eat it.

So at this time I'm eating as much protein as I can and not so much carbs and I avoid any fats, even the good ones... During the week my diet is usually pretty similar each day. Breakfast on Mon, Wed, Fri is a 6 egg white omelette with bacon(very little fat), onion and tomato, and a berry thickshake with 4 more egg whites. Breakfast Tues, Thurs is grilled crumbed fish and some chicken nuggets and some oven chips and the berry thickshake thing.
    WRONG. Do NOT neglect fats. Helps maintain a good body. EAT EAT EAT THE FATS (no excess tho lol)Even the hype about sat fats is wrong. They're good too. (*again in not EXCESS amounts*)

Then Mon-Fri when i get to work I'll have a protein shake (on milk which I am now going to change to water since I read about the milk slowing down the absorbtion of the protein). Then 2 hours later ill have like a fruit bar or muesli bar while I'm working cos I'm hungry. Then an hour later I'll have... Mon is a can of tuna, apple, tub of custard. Tues is chicken nugget sandwich, apple, tub of custard. Wed, Thurs, Fri is a meal that I pre-cook Tuesday night that lasts the 3 days, this week it was like a bolognaise bake thing with potato and cheese topping, then also the apple and custard.

Nope . Take it with milk. More calories/protein/carbs.

Then 3 hours later my lunch each day is a protein shake, apple, tub of yoghurt. (there used to be a similar sized meal to the potato bake thing in place of the protein shake but have changed cos I was bored lol) Then after work I'll go to the gym Mon, Wed, Fri and have a protein shake again after that (or straight after work the days i don;t do gym).

Make sure your preworkout meal is good

Now I used to have dinner an hour or so later which was the same as the breakfast I was having Tues, Thurs (grilled fish n nuggets and berry thickshake) but have recently stopped having dinner cos There just seems to be enough food in me and I'm not hungry and also cos eating all this food is NOT making me bigger. I lost about a kilo cos of it but thats it.

Seems to me your dinner is your ppost workout meal. TAKE IT!!! If u find you're taking too much food. Do some cardio. 30mins of slow intensity burns some calories and maintains good cardiovascular health.

Eating all this food was kinda depressing me cos I wasn't putting on any muscle or weight but with all the food in my gut it was making me look like i had a pot belly which I hated. Then on weekends when I would eat a bit less cos i was just sick of eating, my abdominals would return. Now I think I work myself pretty hard at the gym. My programs are consisting of drop sets and super sets by personal trainer. I always try to increase amounts i lift. Sometimes I lift more than the guys that are bigger than me. Muscle groups are worked once a week. Abs 3 times a week. I been like this for 2 or so years now. No changes hmmm what else might you want to no... im 25... pretty active job...

You're eating too much if u find you're gaining weight. Which is a good thing because some people gain and gain and gain 6inch on their waist before they know they're growing too fast.

Cut down the number of stuff you eat in each meal. But maintain a good supply of carbs/protein/fat(get your fats!)

Got pictures?

And you might want to try out the 5x5 / Rippetoes routine

Rippetoes
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551

5x5
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

In Bold

If im wrong feel free to correct me.
    Hello

anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100)

Help...am I Eating Right

Hello... I'm not sure if I'm eating right. I'm trying to get bigger. I'm skinny at 64 kilos 175cm. I eat ALLOT in my opinion and everyone around me. Personal trainers tell me that if I want to get bigger, to eat lots of carbs. I'm thinking that excessively increasing my calorie intake through carbs is just going to make me fat. I don't want to get fat, I want bigger muscles. I don't mind being slim but I DO want bigger muscles.

So at this time I'm eating as much protein as I can and not so much carbs and I avoid any fats, even the good ones... During the week my diet is usually pretty similar each day. Breakfast on Mon, Wed, Fri is a 6 egg white omelette with bacon(very little fat), onion and tomato, and a berry thickshake with 4 more egg whites. Breakfast Tues, Thurs is grilled crumbed fish and some chicken nuggets and some oven chips and the berry thickshake thing.

Then Mon-Fri when i get to work I'll have a protein shake (on milk which I am now going to change to water since I read about the milk slowing down the absorbtion of the protein). Then 2 hours later ill have like a fruit bar or muesli bar while I'm working cos I'm hungry. Then an hour later I'll have... Mon is a can of tuna, apple, tub of custard. Tues is chicken nugget sandwich, apple, tub of custard. Wed, Thurs, Fri is a meal that I pre-cook Tuesday night that lasts the 3 days, this week it was like a bolognaise bake thing with potato and cheese topping, then also the apple and custard.

Then 3 hours later my lunch each day is a protein shake, apple, tub of yoghurt. (there used to be a similar sized meal to the potato bake thing in place of the protein shake but have changed cos I was bored lol) Then after work I'll go to the gym Mon, Wed, Fri and have a protein shake again after that (or straight after work the days i don;t do gym).

Now I used to have dinner an hour or so later which was the same as the breakfast I was having Tues, Thurs (grilled fish n nuggets and berry thickshake) but have recently stopped having dinner cos There just seems to be enough food in me and I'm not hungry and also cos eating all this food is NOT making me bigger. I lost about a kilo cos of it but thats it.

Eating all this food was kinda depressing me cos I wasn't putting on any muscle or weight but with all the food in my gut it was making me look like i had a pot belly which I hated. Then on weekends when I would eat a bit less cos i was just sick of eating, my abdominals would return. Now I think I work myself pretty hard at the gym. My programs are consisting of drop sets and super sets by personal trainer. I always try to increase amounts i lift. Sometimes I lift more than the guys that are bigger than me. Muscle groups are worked once a week. Abs 3 times a week. I been like this for 2 or so years now. No changes hmmm what else might you want to no... im 25... pretty active job...

anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100) anubi5 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've tried eating where i just eat heaps of carbs and fats and it just felt like my gut was gettin fat and the rest was staying skinny... im now realising there is so much more than i thought there was on nutrition and weight gaining its just so overwhelming and confusing... I mean those programs on those links just seem like simple programs and then personal trainers are giving me programs like this.... mostly 3 sets of 8 reps lifting as heavy as possible to start with so each set the weight decreases so that reps of 8 can be maintained...
    monday
    machine squats ss w reverse leg extensions
    front raises ss w presses
    single leg press ss w another type reverse leg extension
    squat n press ss w front leg extensions

wednesday
    bent over rows ss w single arm rows
    wide grip lat pulldown drop set
    chin ups
    straight bar curls ss w dumbell curls
    cable curls drop set

friday
    dumbell bench press ss w push ups
    standing cable flys drop set
    machine chest press ss w push ups
    bench dips ss w reverse extension

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hows ur strength now?

I'd suggest get on Rippetoes and ull never look back at your previous routine.

plataeu on Rippetoes. Switch to 5x5 or HST
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=280813

-

What makes you fat is because your calories intake are far exceeding your maintenance calories. Lower the entire calorie intake (not just from carbs/fats)
    Make sure u get at least 1g/bw lb of protein.

Stay on this board and read regularly (besides the misc lol) and you'll learn a WHOLE LOT OF STUFF.
    I believe the 3 programs i posted are way better than the programs given to you by the 'Personal Trainer'
    Hello

I'm a little confused... your telling me that eating too many calories will make me fat but to get bigger I have to eat heaps more calories...eating what I'm eating now is maintaining what I have but whenever i increase it it seems it's just my gut that is gettin bigger... Out of what I said before about what I eat in a day would you say I'm getting enough protein? Should I take less protein than what I'm taking and substitute for more carbs so that calorie intake is still at least the same if not more... thanx for your help so far... my strength had increased when I started working out a few years ago but at hte moment its just sitting at the same as it was about a year or so ago...

Finding how much you need to take in to maintain

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Click that

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Then this

Find a number
    Increase the amount by around 300 or so.

Experiment a bit. If not growing (2-3lbs a month) add another 100-200 calories. Monitor.

Try to get 2-4lbs a month.
    If you're eating a lot more than your maintenance calories..fat starts to accumulate.

For your carb.protein.fat intake. Keep it in a good ratio.

Its different for everyone.. Works differently for everyone

Its like
    Carb/Protein/fat
    40/30/30 (i personally use this)
    33/33/33
    50/30/20

Remember thats in calories not in grams.

Stagnant strength? Get on Rippetoes for a couple of weeks and let us know what happens.
    Hello

This HST thing is seeming to be very confusing to me... Is this right???
    Monday 8-12 exercises for whole body and do 5 sets of 15
    Wednesday is the same but you do 5 sets of 10
    Friday the same but 5 sets of 5

Also if I go in on that monday and find that my maximum for 15 sqauts is say 30kg. (just an example) That means my workout should look like20/22.75/25/27.75/30 I doubt I'm going to be able to squat 15 reps of 30 when I started with 15 reps of 20 and so on... Then the next week is suppose to be higher???

For me HST is confusing me a bit.

But i would advise Rippetoes first to get your strength up for a couple of weeks. Then try something else.

U take your max and put it in the 6th workout...then reduce it until week 1. Then start.

Theres a calculator.
    Hello

ok I'll give the rippetoes a go but just curious... my experience with previous programs where muscles groups are worked more than once a week, they never end up sore the next day... Aren't they suppose to hurt??? Trainers say that you need to let a muscle group that has been worked, rest for a week before working it again so that it can repair and working them before they are repaired is pointless...

I just want to make sure I have this right... Is this how the rippetoes pro should look like?

Monday
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5
    Dips 2X5-8
    Decline Wght Sit Ups 3X5

Wednesday
    Squat 3X5
    Stand Mil Press 3X5
    Pendlay Rows 3X5
    Chinups 2X5-8
    Dec/Wght S/U 3X5

Friday
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5
    Dips 2X8-12
    Bar/DB/EZ Bar Curls 2X8-12
    Dec/Wght S/U 3X5

and then the next week the exercises are on different days except the friday where I still add the bicep exercises

I've been doin some calculating and this is roughly my daily intake of foods...
    287gm protein 43%
    305gm carbs 45%
    83gm fat 12%
    calorie intake is 3500 give or take maybe 100... more likely a bit more than 3500... I've been eating like this for a while. gained 10 kilos but now just hovering at 65 kilos. Now the answer is probably "eat more food"... I don;t know how I can eat much more... i walk around with this pregnant sized stomach cos of all the food, but also cost... I'm spending $150 average a week on groceries... US that would be maybe $300... Weekends I tend to eat a little less mainly because of the cost factor but also my social life may include taking off my shirt and I don;t want to do that with a gut that makes me look pregnant... I look like i got a pot belly and if I eat a little less than during the week my stomach shrinks down and looks like a normal stomach. so maybe someone has an answer for the stomach problem?

Also the rippetoes workout, I've been doin it all this week so far... Weird thing is even though I lift as much as I can, by the end of the workout I feel like I've done nothing... After the Monday my legs were sore and my back was real sore because I didn;t realise that the deadlift was suppose to be one set and I did 3... but the rest of me wasn't sore at all... Is this right? So far... -Squat (smith machine) 200pounds... -Bench 90pounds... -Deadlift 155pounds... -Military Press (smith machine) 90pounds... -Pendlay Rows 75pounds... -Barbell Curls 65pounds