BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueDay93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Dumbell to barbell bench

If I have plateu'd on barbell bench press, and I switch it out for dumbbell bench and I consistently get stronger at that week to week, and then I transition back to barbell, will I now be stronger with barbell bench due to my chest getting stronger or will I be weaker due to the time not practicing the movement?

Cheers

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No one can tell you for sure whether you would be stronger or weaker, but generally you have to practice BP to get stronger at it.

Given your objective, if you want to do db BP then do it as an accessory to BP.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IME you might get a boost in bb ability shortly after you start on db, but your inactivity on the barbell is likely to lead to a drop-off in barbell performance.

It depends also on how much you have to get used to db as that can exacerbate things.

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    By plateauing on barbell bench press, for how long have you been stalled, performance wise? Everything else is okay, recovery wise? How's the diet? There's plenty of factors that have to be taken into account.

If you truly are stalled, then switching rep ranges could be a valid move, while maintaining the same movement. If you care about your barbell bench press strength, that's what I'd go for.

If you switch to dumbbell bench press, especially for a long time, don't expect to come back to barbell and breaking PRs right away. If you manage to build muscle with the dumbbell work, then your potencial to hit bigger barbell bench numbers is there, but you still need to practise that skill (thus getting neural gains) before being able to beat new numbers.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

Registered User munirashraf9821's Avatar
    munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) munirashraf9821 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BlueDay93 View Post
    If I have plateu'd on barbell bench press, and I switch it out for dumbbell bench and I consistently get stronger at that week to week, and then I transition back to barbell, will I now be stronger with barbell bench due to my chest getting stronger or will I be weaker due to the time not practicing the movement?

Cheers
    Improved Strength: If your chest, triceps, and shoulders have indeed gotten stronger during your period of using dumbbell bench presses, you may find that your barbell bench press has improved as well. The increased overall upper body strength can translate into better performance with the barbell.

Technical Adjustment: On the other hand, you might initially feel a bit off when returning to the barbell bench press because the movement pattern is slightly different. It might take a session or two to readjust and regain your previous barbell bench press strength.