JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000)

What exactly does it mean when you have sore muscles?

When theyre sore, what process is going on? What is causing the soreness? Are they repairing?

HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You just broke em down, they are trying to recover.

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    micro-damage to the muscle fibers & inflamation are the main causes

JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000) JuanDenver is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So its safe to assume to maximize protein intake during this period? And its during this time when the muscle grows?

BTW, I know what to do. Im just wondering what the science/process is behind the growth period.

legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mtguy8787 View Post
    micro-damage to the muscle fibers & inflamation are the main causes
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.
    TYIA

LS2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by legends159 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.

I've not read anything conclusive on this. I do tend to think however that soreness is a sign of a better-than-normal workout.

Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Uberfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The soreness is due to a breakdown of lactic acid in the muscle that many don't even feel til the next day. Now a beginner will almost always feel this no matter what because any sort of exertion of this nature is new to their body, but as the weeks go by you will not feel as sore because your body will of gotten used to your routein. Thats why changing your exercises or cycling between a heavy and lighter program will prove benificial in the long run. A split of 4-6 weeks heavy followed by 2 weeks of lighter training with more reps is what I follow or simply changing your exercises every 2-3 weeks will do for most.

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SeniorDiscount View Post
    So its safe to assume to maximize protein intake during this period? And its during this time when the muscle grows?

BTW, I know what to do. Im just wondering what the science/process is behind the growth period.
    your muscle starts repairing almost as soon as you finish working out, assuming you get the right nurtrients right away.

I would recommend you get nutrient timing, by John Ivy. It is a pretty good little book

When you change routine parameters, you should be a little bit sore the next day or 2. After that, if you have been training for awhile, it is normal not to be sore. It does not mean that you arent getting good results.

Originally Posted by LS2 View Post
    I've not read anything conclusive on this. I do tend to think however that soreness is a sign of a better-than-normal workout.
    No, that is not really accurate. It does mean that you probably subjected your body to something that it wasnt used to. But that does not mean the workout was effective in getting you the results you are aiming for.

One would be sore as hell after doing a hard endurance/conditioning routine, if they had not done something like it in a long time. But that does not necessarily mean that the workout was ideal for strength, hypertrophy, or whatever your goal is.

G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i finally remembered.
    http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html
    for a while after taking bio i didnt remember what breaks down lactic acid and i finally found it. Lactic acid is built up no matter how in shape you are. The reason why a cross country runner wont get sore after running 5 miles then a person who can barely run 1 is because the cross country runner and built up enough mitochondria to break down the lactic acid build up in your muscles. The mitochondria breaks it down to actually use it as energy. But the person who pushed to run a mile+ is going to be sore the next day and walk like a pencil is up is butt is because his body is not used to the amount of lactic acid build up in his muscles which means the current amount of mitochondria in the muscles that are being worked cant break down the lactic acid which means it builds up. The reason why as you keep working at it and start to not get sore is because just like how your muscles will get bigger to be stronger to push the weight you want to push, mitochondria in what ever muscles you work will increase as you build more and more lactic acid every time. But when your lactic acid build up decreases like when you stop working out for a while your mitochondria will drop as well meaning you have to build it back up again. good luck

Originally Posted by G0tcha View Post
    i finally remembered.
    http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html
    for a while after taking bio i didnt remember what breaks down lactic acid and i finally found it. Lactic acid is built up no matter how in shape you are. The reason why a cross country runner wont get sore after running 5 miles then a person who can barely run 1 is because the cross country runner and built up enough mitochondria to break down the lactic acid build up in your muscles. The mitochondria breaks it down to actually use it as energy. But the person who pushed to run a mile+ is going to be sore the next day and walk like a pencil is up is butt is because his body is not used to the amount of lactic acid build up in his muscles which means the current amount of mitochondria in the muscles that are being worked cant break down the lactic acid which means it builds up. The reason why as you keep working at it and start to not get sore is because just like how your muscles will get bigger to be stronger to push the weight you want to push, mitochondria in what ever muscles you work will increase as you build more and more lactic acid every time. But when your lactic acid build up decreases like when you stop working out for a while your mitochondria will drop as well meaning you have to build it back up again. good luck
    lactic acid is not the only cause of soreness.

Heavy eccentric work can induce DOMS like no other.... but it doesnt have anything to do with lactic acid.

G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G0tcha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    true dat. the link actually says that too but its most common for everyone to say that lactic acid is the culperate. its not the lactic acid exactly that causes fatigue and soreness. the lactic acid actually breaks down into 2 things lactate ion and hydrogen ion. Its actually the hydrogen ion that causes the fatigue and soreness. its all in the link.

kudos though

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you're wrong and you don't have to start panicking
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---