Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Banned JuanDenver's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Stats: 6'1", 214 lbs
    Posts: 22,907
    BodyPoints: 42980
    Rep Power: 0
    JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit JuanDenver's BodySpace
    JuanDenver is offline

    What exactly does it mean when you have sore muscles?

    When theyre sore, what process is going on? What is causing the soreness? Are they repairing?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Traps R' Us HawkLifter55's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 27
    Stats: 6'0", 222 lbs
    Posts: 3,939
    BodyPoints: 10316
    Rep Power: 1221
    HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HawkLifter55 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit HawkLifter55's BodySpace
    HawkLifter55 is offline
    You just broke em down, they are trying to recover.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Banned Mtguy8787's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: United States
    Stats: 6'4", 217 lbs
    Posts: 12,777
    BodyPoints: 15035
    Rep Power: 0
    Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mtguy8787's BodySpace
    Mtguy8787 is offline
    micro-damage to the muscle fibers & inflamation are the main causes
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Banned JuanDenver's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Stats: 6'1", 214 lbs
    Posts: 22,907
    BodyPoints: 42980
    Rep Power: 0
    JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JuanDenver has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit JuanDenver's BodySpace
    JuanDenver is offline
    So its safe to assume to maximize protein intake during this period? And its during this time when the muscle grows?

    BTW, I know what to do. Im just wondering what the science/process is behind the growth period.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User legends159's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 725
    BodyPoints: 2216
    Rep Power: 20
    legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) legends159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit legends159's BodySpace
    legends159 is offline
    Originally Posted by Mtguy8787 View Post
    micro-damage to the muscle fibers & inflamation are the main causes
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.
    TYIA
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User LS2's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Age: 31
    Posts: 232
    Rep Power: 0
    LS2 is not very helpful. (-500) LS2 is not very helpful. (-500) LS2 is not very helpful. (-500) LS2 is not very helpful. (-500) LS2 is not very helpful. (-500)
    LS2 is offline
    Originally Posted by legends159 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.

    I've not read anything conclusive on this. I do tend to think however that soreness is a sign of a better-than-normal workout.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Uberfreak's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: Las Vegas
    Age: 49
    Stats: 5'11"
    Posts: 68
    BodyPoints: 519
    Rep Power: 0
    Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uberfreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit Uberfreak's BodySpace
    Uberfreak is offline
    The soreness is due to a breakdown of lactic acid in the muscle that many don't even feel til the next day. Now a beginner will almost always feel this no matter what because any sort of exertion of this nature is new to their body, but as the weeks go by you will not feel as sore because your body will of gotten used to your routein. Thats why changing your exercises or cycling between a heavy and lighter program will prove benificial in the long run. A split of 4-6 weeks heavy followed by 2 weeks of lighter training with more reps is what I follow or simply changing your exercises every 2-3 weeks will do for most.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Banned Mtguy8787's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: United States
    Stats: 6'4", 217 lbs
    Posts: 12,777
    BodyPoints: 15035
    Rep Power: 0
    Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mtguy8787's BodySpace
    Mtguy8787 is offline
    Originally Posted by SeniorDiscount View Post
    So its safe to assume to maximize protein intake during this period? And its during this time when the muscle grows?

    BTW, I know what to do. Im just wondering what the science/process is behind the growth period.
    your muscle starts repairing almost as soon as you finish working out, assuming you get the right nurtrients right away.

    I would recommend you get nutrient timing, by John Ivy. It is a pretty good little book


    Originally Posted by legends159 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.
    When you change routine parameters, you should be a little bit sore the next day or 2. After that, if you have been training for awhile, it is normal not to be sore. It does not mean that you arent getting good results.

    Originally Posted by LS2 View Post
    I've not read anything conclusive on this. I do tend to think however that soreness is a sign of a better-than-normal workout.
    No, that is not really accurate. It does mean that you probably subjected your body to something that it wasnt used to. But that does not mean the workout was effective in getting you the results you are aiming for.

    One would be sore as hell after doing a hard endurance/conditioning routine, if they had not done something like it in a long time. But that does not necessarily mean that the workout was ideal for strength, hypertrophy, or whatever your goal is.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User G0tcha's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: San Francisco, California, United States
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'8", 159 lbs
    Posts: 170
    BodyPoints: 2026
    Rep Power: 11
    G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit G0tcha's BodySpace
    G0tcha is offline
    i finally remembered.
    http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html
    for a while after taking bio i didnt remember what breaks down lactic acid and i finally found it. Lactic acid is built up no matter how in shape you are. The reason why a cross country runner wont get sore after running 5 miles then a person who can barely run 1 is because the cross country runner and built up enough mitochondria to break down the lactic acid build up in your muscles. The mitochondria breaks it down to actually use it as energy. But the person who pushed to run a mile+ is going to be sore the next day and walk like a pencil is up is butt is because his body is not used to the amount of lactic acid build up in his muscles which means the current amount of mitochondria in the muscles that are being worked cant break down the lactic acid which means it builds up. The reason why as you keep working at it and start to not get sore is because just like how your muscles will get bigger to be stronger to push the weight you want to push, mitochondria in what ever muscles you work will increase as you build more and more lactic acid every time. But when your lactic acid build up decreases like when you stop working out for a while your mitochondria will drop as well meaning you have to build it back up again. good luck
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Banned Mtguy8787's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: United States
    Stats: 6'4", 217 lbs
    Posts: 12,777
    BodyPoints: 15035
    Rep Power: 0
    Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mtguy8787 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mtguy8787's BodySpace
    Mtguy8787 is offline
    Originally Posted by G0tcha View Post
    i finally remembered.
    http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html
    for a while after taking bio i didnt remember what breaks down lactic acid and i finally found it. Lactic acid is built up no matter how in shape you are. The reason why a cross country runner wont get sore after running 5 miles then a person who can barely run 1 is because the cross country runner and built up enough mitochondria to break down the lactic acid build up in your muscles. The mitochondria breaks it down to actually use it as energy. But the person who pushed to run a mile+ is going to be sore the next day and walk like a pencil is up is butt is because his body is not used to the amount of lactic acid build up in his muscles which means the current amount of mitochondria in the muscles that are being worked cant break down the lactic acid which means it builds up. The reason why as you keep working at it and start to not get sore is because just like how your muscles will get bigger to be stronger to push the weight you want to push, mitochondria in what ever muscles you work will increase as you build more and more lactic acid every time. But when your lactic acid build up decreases like when you stop working out for a while your mitochondria will drop as well meaning you have to build it back up again. good luck
    lactic acid is not the only cause of soreness.

    Heavy eccentric work can induce DOMS like no other.... but it doesnt have anything to do with lactic acid.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User G0tcha's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: San Francisco, California, United States
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'8", 159 lbs
    Posts: 170
    BodyPoints: 2026
    Rep Power: 11
    G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G0tcha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit G0tcha's BodySpace
    G0tcha is offline
    true dat. the link actually says that too but its most common for everyone to say that lactic acid is the culperate. its not the lactic acid exactly that causes fatigue and soreness. the lactic acid actually breaks down into 2 things lactate ion and hydrogen ion. Its actually the hydrogen ion that causes the fatigue and soreness. its all in the link.

    kudos though
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    No cardio No cry RU4A69's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Age: 35
    Stats: 5'8", 181 lbs
    Posts: 11,141
    BodyPoints: 25896
    Rep Power: 3348
    RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RU4A69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit RU4A69's BodySpace
    RU4A69 is offline
    Originally Posted by legends159 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe this...but by the same token, that would mean that if i'm not sore I did not do enough micro-damage to the muscle fibers and thus they won't grow. Someone tell me why I'm wrong so that when I'm not sore I won't have to begin panicking.
    you're wrong and you don't have to start panicking
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    ___________________________________
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout