idiotsavant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The truth about Rest between sets and Stretching

Everyoen tells me something diffrent about how long I should rest between sets and about stretching as a warm up or a cool down. What do you guys know?

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should rest until you feel that you can give as close to 100% into your next set, everyone is different. If you are still gasping from you last set, you probably shouldnt go yet. If you want to get into the technical aspect of it, your ATP levels dont come up to close to 100% until at least 3 minutes of rest. I typically take about 3 minutes in between sets. I also go to failure to, if you arent going to failure, you might not need as long.

Dorian_Yates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dorian_Yates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Under a minute, 3 minutes is way to long IMO.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i spend ~3minutes between sets, sometimes longer if it's heavy squatting/chain squatting
    Booo

Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Dorian_Yates
    Your joking right? So when you squat you only take like 45 second rest. Well, like I said, everyone is different, but I think you must have some extreme recouperation abilities if you are able to perform with as close to 100% with less than a minute rest.

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Wheelies
    Your joking right? So when you squat you only take like 45 second rest. Well, like I said, everyone is different, but I think you must have some extreme recouperation abilities if you are able to perform with as close to 100% with less than a minute rest.
    nah, he says the same thing every post. i think last time it was he rests 15seconds between sets, lol lol

in any case, anybody who lifts heavy knows it's impossible to lift heavy and keep the same pace w/ that little rest, lol
    Booo

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    the biggert he muscle group the longer the rest...

stretching read here...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...89#post2046389

Dorian_Yates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dorian_Yates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    nah, he says the same thing every post. i think last time it was he rests 15seconds between sets, lol lol

in any case, anybody who lifts heavy knows it's impossible to lift heavy and keep the same pace w/ that little rest, lol
    Ive never said 15 second rest i usually say 30-45 seconds

squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm a fan of big rests - about 2 minutes for the big muscle groups, and 1.5 for the smaller ones. I've heard people talk about 30-60second rests, but there's no way I could recover to bench/squat the same weight after 30 seconds.

Ive never said 15 second rest i usually say 30-45 seconds

so tell me, let's say you close-grip'd 300pds. do you expect to close-grip 300, take 30seconds and be able to repeat that performance?
    Booo

chunkyaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chunkyaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by squatlover
    I'm a fan of big rests - about 2 minutes for the big muscle groups, and 1.5 for the smaller ones. I've heard people talk about 30-60second rests, but there's no way I could recover to bench/squat the same weight after 30 seconds.
    Bump !
    Free Newsletter and ******** Community : TrainAthome Fitness
    Join us !
    www.trainathome.info

so tell me, let's say you close-grip'd 300pds. do you expect to close-grip 300, take 30seconds and be able to repeat that performance?
    You couldnt do 300 but take some weight off and youll get the desired # of reps or hit failure or whatever your doing that particular set. Some of you guys concentrate on weight, weight, weight you got to concentrate on the feel. If you are training for strength i can understand long rests if you are bodybuilding 2 mins is way to long IMO.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    You couldnt do 300 but take some weight off and youll get the desired # of reps or hit failure or whatever your doing that particular set. Some of you guys concentrate on weight, weight, weight you got to concentrate on the feel. If you are training for strength i can understand long rests if you are bodybuilding 2 mins is way to long IMO.
    you seem to be very much in the rob concept of thinking...

Question

Originally posted by scott_donald
    you seem to be very much in the rob concept of thinking...
    What is that???

What is that???
    look here...

http://www.robthoburn.com

he is a nice guiy but i dont agree with alot of what he says tho...

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I disagree with that...the heavier you lift (and the bigger muscle group) it just makes sense to rest for longer. More stress equals more recovery time...common sense to me. If you do 300 and wait 45 seconds, and can't do it again, that doesn't make nearly as much sense as waiting 2-3 min and putting up the 300 again...
    Just MODO.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    really it depends on your goals
    I know from personal experience that if I stretch between sets I can get more reps on subsequent sets then I could if I skipped the stretching
    that's all I can tell yo for sure cus it's what I know from previous experience

however I have heard of studies where ATP was not fully restored before a certain amount of time I think 1 minute roughly?

and I can tell you my preference wich is for long rest perieds 3-5 minutes depending

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by HardGainer82
    I disagree with that...the heavier you lift (and the bigger muscle group) it just makes sense to rest for longer. More stress equals more recovery time...common sense to me. If you do 300 and wait 45 seconds, and can't do it again, that doesn't make nearly as much sense as waiting 2-3 min and putting up the 300 again...
    Just MODO.
    yah but he said it's not all about weight for him
    it's about a breif rest period
    that actually might have some use for hypertrophy but I sure as hell wouldn't use it for strength

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, I would think that most bodybuilders would be interested in hypertrophy...
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

Originally posted by Kane Fan

however I have heard of studies where ATP was not fully restored before a certain amount of time I think 1 minute roughly?

and I can tell you my preference wich is for long rest perieds 3-5 minutes depending
    Actually your ATP stores are only up to about 75% at 1 minute, its the 3-5 minute range that its going to be as close to 100% as possible. So you are actually using the optimal rest period already.

Actually your ATP stores are only up to about 75% at 1 minute, its the 3-5 minute range that its going to be as close to 100% as possible. So you are actually using the optimal rest period already.

i thought it was more like 95% is the most it reaches? (although that's pretty close to 100 )
    Booo

i thought it was more like 95% is the most it reaches? (although that's pretty close to 100 )
    Maybe the way I wrote it was bad, I was basically saying the same thing, "as close to 100% as possible" , meaning, it doesnt go back up to 100% again, so 95% is proably right. But the point I was trying to make to Dorian_ Yates was, even though he thinks that he is putting is maximum effort into a lift, there is no way his ATP , which controls all muscle contractions, could possible back near 90-100% after less than a minute rest, unless, like I said before, he has some kind of super human recouperative abbilities.

Well, I would think that most bodybuilders would be interested in hypertrophy...
    yah but a lot of bodybuilders go about it by trying to increase strength and if you focus on that hypertrophy will come is thier thinking
    (this is one of the good things HIT spread)
    at least I think it's a HIT based theory, might not of created it but I know they support it

what can I say
    instinctive training baby!
    WOOOOO

it could be useful tho, if his CNS used less restraint due to the lower ATP levels it might actually alow him to recruit more muscle fibers to do the same job, so lowering weight isn't the key then according to that idea but well it's just an idea nothing like science to support it just something that comes to mind
    also couldn't that type training be used to incrase ATP stores in the body?
    by that I mean train the body to know increase the amount of ATP it stores in the muscle if it is used that way?

zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zedtech has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should rest until you feel that you can give as close to 100% into your next set, everyone is different. If you are still gasping from you last set, you probably shouldnt go yet.
    Bump! I usually rest for 2-3 mins in between sets. That time range usually gives me enough energy in between sets to ensure that the upcoming set will be performed at optimum strength.

you lift big weights you get big (if you eat big). overly simplistic, but it works
    Booo