whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to improve BENCH?

Im a teen, 5'11 and 150 lb. I started lifting this summer and have made improvements on my strength. However, I am currently stuck at bench 135lb. I have to struggle really hard to do a set of 5-6 at 135. I have heard that to improve strength, less is more. One must do at least 3 sets of 8 reps.

Can someone suggest something that I should do? Should I lower the weights and be able to do 8 reps of around 3 sets or should I force myself to do 1.5 sets of 4-6 reps.

Thx

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: How to improve BENCH?

Originally posted by whtx
    Im a teen, 5'11 and 150 lb. I started lifting this summer and have made improvements on my strength. However, I am currently stuck at bench 135lb. I have to struggle really hard to do a set of 5-6 at 135. I have heard that to improve strength, less is more. One must do at least 3 sets of 8 reps.

Can someone suggest something that I should do? Should I lower the weights and be able to do 8 reps of around 3 sets or should I force myself to do 1.5 sets of 4-6 reps.

Thx

who says you have to do 3sets of 8. i say 2sets fo 4-6, then up the weight

also work with pause pressing (regular flat bench, pause at the bottom)

and what's your routine look like?

also strengthen chest, triceps and lats (lats on the horizontal plane)
    Booo

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    post this in the powerlifting forum, pm deciever, or go to fortifiediron . com. you'll get more well-informed responses. good luck man.
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want to improve your overall strength, read this over. It might be of interest to you. Just one of many effective programs, but my bench along with other exercises went crazy when I started using max-ot.

http://www.allnaturalalternatives.co...ads/max-ot.zip
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    To have a big Bench you must have strong Shoulders, Triceps, Lats and Pecs.

Work on adding strength to the muscles above and the Bench will take care of itself.

Another thing, press with all you have. Push the bar away from you like it's on fire. Be explosive.

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I guarantee his form has alot to do with it too, most newbies bench to there upper chest, dont stay tight, move their feet around. My bench platued a while back until I had a powerlifter show me how to get set.

BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by AMG
    To have a big Bench you must have strong Shoulders, Triceps, Lats and Pecs.

Work on adding strength to the muscles above and the Bench will take care of itself.

Another thing, press with all you have. Push the bar away from you like it's on fire. Be explosive.
    Big bump.

Exercises like dips, close grip benchpresses, military presses, barbell rows, etc.. will all help toward increasing your benching strength.
    http://www.hardcorebodybuilding.net/hb-db/phpBB2/index.php - only place I post now!

www.fortifiediron.com
    www.homefitness101.com

The original good guys....

bignbuff/sychokid/psupower/coneytt/LostProphet

scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    form and dont only bench
    switch from db to bb alternate every other month
    age 16
    height 6' 6" @ 156 lbs
    bench 210
    dead 230
    squat 260
    total 700

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also at 5'11" and 150lbs it wouldnt hurt to double your calorie intake. Pack the pounds on both your bars and body.
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.