Psytech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out from home for a couple weeks, need some help.

I won't be able to make it into the gym much/at all for a couple weeks. I have a fairly fast metabolism and in the past, such a break would set back my gains quite a bit. I'd like to keep working out from home, with a focus on my upper body.

I'd also like to improve my stomach a bit more. I have good, well defined abs, but I would like to lose what little flab I do have around the waist to make them stand out more. I'm wondering if the usual ab excercises (crunches, situps etc...) will do this or if they will only keep building the muscle without burning the fat.

So, I guess I have 3 questions.
    1. Can anybody suggest upper body excercises that I can do with no equipment for a couple weeks?
    2. How can I lose weight around my waist?
    3. Am I better off doing situps or crunches?

Thanks in advance. I've been working out for a while, but I really don't know what I'm talking about, so any advice or corrections would be great.

[Edit: This may not be important, but I figure I should clarify one point. I'm not trying to lose a gut or any significant amount of weight, just want to trim a little bit of fat off the waist.]
    Last edited by Psytech; 10-29-2003 at 09:47 PM.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eat fewer calories than you burn, and you'll lose (mostly) fat.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Upper body exercises with no equipment?

I'd say push-ups would be number one on that list.

Variations of push-ups you could do like handstand push-ups, you can do tricepts extensions with a sturdy counter top. Also, try using your hands/feet in various positions as a nice change to standard push-ups.

As for your stomach, I'd venture to say crunches aren't going to 'burn' any extra fat in significant amounts.

If you've been burning off the fat and getting good results with what you've already been doing, I'd say keep at it (though, I guess you won't be able to right now) and let time take care of the extra fat.

But other than that, diet and cardio do more fat burning than crunches.