Closed Thread
Page 250 of 334 FirstFirst ... 150 200 240 248 249 250 251 252 260 300 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,500 of 10001
    SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Twas quite funny when I went to use the squat rack yesterday & there was a dude sitting on a bench under the rack doing dumbbell curls.

It's also quite common at my gym for ppl to leave plates on barbells they finished with/generally leaving stuff scattered about. Really annoys me.

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MeMoRySticK View Post
    I know these kids, the "Oh your big, but I'm shredded" idiots
    A skinny kid with a 6 pack, is like a fat girl with big boobs. They cancel each other out.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) handyman89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    To be fair, back in high school I used to do cardio for about that duration with an average heart rate of about 180bpm, and I barely broke a sweat doing it. Then when I turned 18 I started sweating profusely even at a mere 120bpm. Sweat =/= exertion.

Leg press in jeans guy sounds like a gym idiot, though. I remember back in the day, I used to do the same Back then I'd "squat" and deadlift in jeans, too. And I used to know a physiotherapist who recommended to everyone that they squat in their jeans for added assistance. Le sigh.
    Ya used to run a 6min 45sec mile when i was in high school and i barley even sweat at all but now i run for over 5 min guaranteed sweat must be a growing up thing lolz, Ya jeans and leg workouts dont go hand in hand specially the guys who wear tight ass jeans (infertility much?)

Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imperatore has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if you're too cool to take the 2, 25 Lbs plates off after you're done your ****ty form clean and snatch, then not only you gym idiot, but you are on cheeky kunt mate i swear.

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DerAlta View Post
    A skinny kid with a 6 pack, is like a fat girl with big boobs. They cancel each other out.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're a gym idiot if you can't appreciate someone is trying their hardest and sometimes failing with a weight that could be 1/2 or even 1/3rd of what you're doing. Were all different sizes and have been working out for different lengths of time and if he/she is really f****** trying to improve themselves you're an idiot for criticizing them.

Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eh, I wouldn't agree with the second part of your argument, but I agree with the first.

Most ectos naturally have something approaching a sixpack just from being skinny.

Most fat chicks naturally have big boobs from being fat.
    Misc MD Crew

Foreveralone Virgin Crew

AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100) AMA1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    True, so true

Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Merra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think one thing that struck me was one day I was doing pullups, and between sets, a kid came up grabbed the pullup bar, and started jumping up and down trying to do a pullup, for about 10-15 reps then walked away.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    watched 4 high school age guys yesterday attempt to bench. Here's what I saw-

1. had the pins set too high, couldn't unrack the bar without help. Arms were at full extension just to be able to reach it.

2. none of them could move as little as 90# with full assistance on the reps.

3. plates were unbalanced on each side.

My son and I were watching these same kids go from exercise to exercise in the weight room with similar performance. They looked to all be juinors-senoirs in HS. Normally, this would be nothing more than a good chuckle for me, but the gym was crowded and the only thing these guys were doing was getting in the way.

Registered User STEELCITYMUSCLE's Avatar
    STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gym idiots are one of the reasons why I train later at night or early in the mourning... there's less of them around at that time, early Saturday afternoons are the worst at my gym..

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by STEELCITYMUSCLE View Post
    Gym idiots are one of the reasons why I train later at night or early in the mourning... there's less of them around at that time, early Saturday afternoons are the worst at my gym..
    what I find is that pretty much anytime between 11-3 is ideal at my gym. Saturday mid-late mornings are the worst.

CanPride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanPride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Happened about a month ago, but possibly the funniest I've ever had at my gym. (University gym). I was at one of the barbell shoulder press setups, between sets, and a guy came up and asked me to spot him. No real problem, I'll spot anyone, so of course, I said yes. He was relatively short (5'5 ish), average weight, not fat, but definitely out of shape. He brings me over to the dumbbell area, where he has a towel set up on an adjustable bench type thing, flattened all the way down to make a flat bench. He had a french press bar with a 10 on each side. I assumed he wanted some help on french press or close grip bench or something. Little weird to need a spot on those exercises, but hey, the amount of dumb dumb's who get stuck under the bar is unbelievable, so lets go for it. I stand behind him and he says to me "could you stand on the other side please?" I do, and he proceeds to get ready to (standing) bicep curl his way into oblivion. Clearly needed to put his towel on the bench for those..

I always work out in my Vibrams, and I'm used to always getting comments on them. Doesn't really bother me, and I'm glad people are at least interested in hearing about them. What did bother me though, was the guy who wouldn't shut up for 5 minutes while I was in the middle of a crazy superset. I was using the standing calf raise machine, doing 10 rep drop sets really, working all the way down. I didn't want to be an ass, but holy crap buddy, I haven't said a word back to you, there is a reason, and its because I'm too busy exploring the benefits of masochism on a calf machine.

University gym's always have the usual curl warriors, etc, etc, but none of that is really worth mentioning.
    455 Back Squat
    275 Bench
    523 Deadlift
    On the road to 1450!

RIP Zyzz - Forever 'Mirin.

AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    what I find is that pretty much anytime between 11-3 is ideal at my gym. Saturday mid-late mornings are the worst.
    School rush 3-5pm
    Work rush 4-7pm
    morning rush 9-11.

Ideal training time 11:30am-2:30pm/ 7pm-close

too bad 99/100 you won't be able to train at that time during the week :l 7pm is pushing it for most guys who work early..
    http://tiny.cc/GoldenEra

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hehe

PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    had the bar fall on me on the bench when i was experimenting with close grip. it was like 90 pounds and my arms gave out. luckily i was able to roll it to my pelvis then lift it up from there. i wasnt embarrassed, just glad i didnt get hurt at all. but now i have a better idea what im doing with close grip
    i have bested fruit, spike, and moon

TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrueSkills is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    had the bar fall on me on the bench when i was experimenting with close grip. it was like 90 pounds and my arms gave out. luckily i was able to roll it to my pelvis then lift it up from there. i wasnt embarrassed, just glad i didnt get hurt at all. but now i have a better idea what im doing with close grip
    So youre calling yourself a gym idiot?
    (insert fear quote here)

EM=The G.O.A.T.

R.I.P. Zyzz
    Forever Mirin'

PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeppersGhost is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ive done similar mistakes like that too. but i regret nothing
    i have bested fruit, spike, and moon

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Back at the gym I used to work at, I was talking to one of the female members to congratulate her on being in the weights section. She was telling me how great bodypump is, and how she's doubled her strength in the 6 months she's been doing it. Double strength in 6 months sounds pretty good, right? I though so, too, until she gave the example that now she's curling 2.5kg!

SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trigger543 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do people who smell really awful count as gym idiots? I mean I know you're there to work out but there's a couple of dudes at my gym that smell like they haven't seen the inside of a shower in weeks.

jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Probably has been posted before but who has time to read 250 pages of thread?

- People who use their protein shakers as a water bottle and makes sure that everyone sees them drinking out of it (so we know you're a serious lifter bro!).

- People doing dumbbell military press who only lower the weights a couple inches before pushing up again.

- People trying to deadlift/bench on the smith machine.

- People who put their whole body weight into tricep cable pushdowns.

- People who cave their shoulders forward on the pec wreck machine, completely disengaging the chest.

- The people I see training all week, then see them at the local bar on Friday night getting absolutely wasted.

- When you ask someone to spot you on the bench press and to show you how strong he is, he assists when you don't need it.

- People sitting on the lat pulldown machine backwards, pulling the bar behind their head and wondering why they can't stay on the seat.

- People doing dumbell chest press with 10kg DB at a million miles an hour.

- Personal trainers who approach you and try to get you to book a session with them (leave me the f*ck alone!).

moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jsteven9 View Post
    Probably has been posted before but who has time to read 250 pages of thread?

- People who use their protein shakers as a water bottle and makes sure that everyone sees them drinking out of it (so we know you're a serious lifter bro!).

- People doing dumbbell military press who only lower the weights a couple inches before pushing up again.

- People trying to deadlift/bench on the smith machine.

- People who put their whole body weight into tricep cable pushdowns.

- People who cave their shoulders forward on the pec wreck machine, completely disengaging the chest.

- The people I see training all week, then see them at the local bar on Friday night getting absolutely wasted.

- When you ask someone to spot you on the bench press and to show you how strong he is, he assists when you don't need it.

- People sitting on the lat pulldown machine backwards, pulling the bar behind their head and wondering why they can't stay on the seat.

- People doing dumbell chest press with 10kg DB at a million miles an hour.

- Personal trainers who approach you and try to get you to book a session with them (leave me the f*ck alone!).
    Nothing is wrong with doing bench or deadlift on smith machine. some people have bad shoulders and thus using smith machine really helps for bench..

if its not used for deadlift or bench then what is smith machine used for? dont tell me squats only.

09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 09BlackSS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lol, awsome!

krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10) krixisLV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by moetorious View Post
    deadlift on smith machine.
    you srs? that sounds kinda weird!

moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moetorious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krixisLV View Post
    you srs? that sounds kinda weird!
    I never personally did deadlift on smith machine but that doesnt mean you cant do it, If I were a noob I would do deadlift on smith machine reason being that it will help you with the proper form. I guess the point that im trying to make is that there are tons of excersices you can do on smith machine not just bench press and squats.

Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by moetorious View Post
    I never personally did deadlift on smith machine but that doesnt mean you cant do it, If I were a noob I would do deadlift on smith machine reason being that it will help you with the proper form. I guess the point that im trying to make is that there are tons of excersices you can do on smith machine not just bench press and squats.
    I have to comment here. A smith machine will not help with proper deadlifft form. The form that is used for the deadlift on a smith machine is not the same as what one would use for a barbell DL. This is also true for squats.

zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A little bit about me:

I have been lifting for ~17 years, worked as a personal trainer for 5 of those, and have been to a pretty wide selection of gyms and have seen a lot of funny - and sad - things as a consequence. I am decently built 6', w/ weight ranging from 215 -225lbs and relatively low bodyfat and pretty decent strength. I've trained at some hardcore gyms with competitors (both PL and BB) so I have no illusions about being anything special in terms of physique or strength, but in an average gym I'll be one of the bigger, stronger lifters.

Now it is my general policy to not make eye contact or otherwise engage with anyone while I am lifting (Ipod, hat pulled low, etc.). I am polite and respectful if someone asks me something or needs a spot, but I am there to knock out my sets and move on and my demeanor clearly communicates that. I wipe up my sweat, rack my plates, and treat the equipment responsibly.

Some stories:

A couple of years back I was training in one of those 24hour clubs that just requires an electronic card to get in - so typically no staff around. Well, it is a quiet Saturday afternoon, I have the gym to myself and I am doing some bent barbell rows in the power rack which happened to be right next to the flat bench press. Vaguely gangster-dressed kid (late teens) comes in, gets on the bench, and starts warming up. I start up my heavy set and as I rack the weight I notice this kid is rolling 185lbs down his thighs and then he puts the bar down at the foot of the bench. Obviously it was too late for me to offer any assistance and not wanting to embarrass the guy I just go about my workout like normal and move on to some DB pressing.

After my next set I glance over and see that the kid once again has 185lbs on the uprights and is looking to have another go. So, I deviate from my usual policy and offer this kid a spot. He says "no" and I may have detected some degree of stinkeye, but I am peachy keen about going straight back to my workout. I catch gangster-douche giving his torso another 185lb barbell massage just seconds later.

Another story:

Two contractors who workout at my curent gym. One black, one white, both fat. One of them screams like he is giving birth Aliens-style every GD set. I have my Ipod up decently loud when I workout precisely to drown out other people talking. And it generally works pretty well. But the white wondertwin was about to wreck my little non-cacophonous world. I can't remember exactly what I was doing, either curls or skullcrushers since I know I had an EZ-curl bar, but I start hearing some serious man-screams. They were wierd grunt-scream combos I can only imagine making if I were killing a dude with an axe while simultaneously being sodomized by a bear.

Now this side of the gym is mostly dumbells and cables, so I am kinda curious about what he is getting so worked up about. So, I glance over, expecting to see blood, bodyparts, or at least some feces. Not even. This guy is going full-retard on one-armed cable curls. I am sorry, but there is a definite cap on just how much pain you can be in from one-armed cable curls and it is well below the magma-enema threshold which would justify the noise this clown was producing.

Final Story for now:

Years ago, working at a gym in Oakland, CA I saw one of those older fat guys who thinks he is pure awesomesauce because he once did something nobody cares about on a high school sports team noone ever watched. Mostly machines, too much weight, pure comedy form, you have seen this guy or you one day will if you hang in gyms long enough. Well, this guy's signature move is leg pressing Ronnie Coleman-type poundages...and then leaving his weights on the sled as a testament to his awe-inspiring strength. I was a PT at this place and often had the pleasure of unloading this crap. I suppose I don't need to point out that this guy's ROM, was, well, imperceptible. I mean, maybe there was some degree of knee flexion but it couldn't actually be measured by the naked eye.

This is the day I thought I might start believing in God, or Karma, or some cosmic deity with a sense of humor. Leg Press Champ comes in and does his thing and as I am standing around I hear a "clang" I have never heard before and see our hero lying on his back behind the seat of the leg press looking dazed and the sled is bottomed out near the seat. It takes me a moment to realize that he must have experimented with letting the weight move a full
    1/4" or something and that pile of slag came down with enough force to launch his fat ass out of the machine. Then I rethought my whole "god, karma BS" after all when he got up and walked off with no injury. I imagine with his foot placement just a little but higher his lumbar spine and god knows what else would have just been destroyed.

I lied, one more:

A lot of old-school cable machines did not have a permanent heavy counter weight (usually the first plate or two of the stack on modern equipment) attached to the cable. This meant that if you pulled the pin out of the weight stack, and there was a heavier attachment on the end of the cable (e.g. pretty much any bar), and the attachment was set up high - for tricep pushdowns for instance, that attachment was going to fall at a pretty decent clip. The cable crossover setup we had at this gym I was working at was like this and I saw multiple people get clocked in the dome - which was always mildly amusing. But after noticing this phenomenon, I brought it up at a fitness meeting and suggested we put up a sign.

The fitness manager voted me down because people should know better. Same guy fired one of our PT's when he asked a lady to rack her weights after she left an entire row of Hammer Strength machines loaded.

Less Story, More Rant:

I'm in the military and I currently workout at the East Gym on Kirtland AFB. It is the first military gym I have worked out at consistently as it was always more convenient for me to lift off-base prior to this PCS. Maybe slightly lower douche factor than commercial gyms, but pretty comparable overall. The only really frustrating thing is the military's obsession w/ Crossfit.

A word about Crossfit. If you Crossfit and it is helping you reach your fitness goals, then that is awesome for you. Keep at it and I wish you the best of luck. But for the love of god, stop doing it during regular hours at commercial gyms when your WOD has you cockblocking 5 pieces of equipment. Seriously, go to a crossfit facility where they are setup to handle that sort of thing. Because at every gym I have ever worked at the only piece of equipment you can claim is the one you are currently working on. Period. Full Stop. I have had three confrontations now with douches who think they can claim as many pieces of equipment as they want at one time. I always tell them they can either:

A. Work in

or

B. Talk to the gym staff and verify that they can't claim 5+ pieces of equipment at once.

The truth is a standard commercial gym simply doesn't have enough redundant equipment to support this level of concurrent equipment use. Two or three guys doing different crossfit routines could literally choke off most free weights areas in a gym. This same equipment could support 10+ normal lifters easily. Use some common sense and have some level of consideration for your fellow gym members.

-zaosha

bigbearbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You sir......are awesome.

Im stealing this quote.
    Cardio and Eating Correctly
    01/11 - 295 05/11 - 248
    02/11 - 282 06/11 - 240
    03/11 - 272 07/11 - 230
    04/11 - 260 08/11 - 222 (~25% BF)

Cut and Diet Plan
    09/11 - 214
    10/11 - 2XX

I have a question...where do you get off having the nerve to jump in on somebody's private conversation and say something to them? My son and I were at the gym, laughing about something we saw...and this ******* jumps in and makes an idiotic comment. Guy is probably about 5'8", maybe a buck sixty-five soaking wet. I'm 6'1", 255#, my son is 5'11", 220#...and this asshat has the nerve to get in the middle of us and flap his gums. How do you do something like that when you have no idea what the people you're talking to. On top of that, he had the nerve to make another ignorant comment on his way out the door. Thought he was going to stop for a second, but my son wheeled on him and started yelling...that sent him scurrying like a scared little rabbit...scared of a 14 year old kid. That, my friends, is your CLASSIC gym idiot.

jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsteven9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    I have a question...where do you get off having the nerve to jump in on somebody's private conversation and say something to them? My son and I were at the gym, laughing about something we saw...and this ******* jumps in and makes an idiotic comment. Guy is probably about 5'8", maybe a buck sixty-five soaking wet. I'm 6'1", 255#, my son is 5'11", 220#...and this asshat has the nerve to get in the middle of us and flap his gums. How do you do something like that when you have no idea what the people you're talking to. On top of that, he had the nerve to make another ignorant comment on his way out the door. Thought he was going to stop for a second, but my son wheeled on him and started yelling...that sent him scurrying like a scared little rabbit...scared of a 14 year old kid. That, my friends, is your CLASSIC gym idiot.
    What were you talking about?

AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AtomicVeggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've avoided posting in this thread because I'm just seeing the usual gym idiots, but this guy takes the goddamn cake of any gym idiot I've ever seen. Skinny arms, no real body under his shirt, and I look over and see this guy picking up a 60 lb. dumbbell.

"Interesting" I think to myself.

He then proceeds to do three bicep curls which involve him cheating in every way imaginable. Bending backwards to 45.... He then does 3 at 65, and then goes to 70. "Dear Lord." I think. He rests in on his slightly raised knee, and kicks it up to do one of his bending curls. Meanwhile, between sets, this asshat is attempting to teach his workout partner how to box. The guys boxing technique is as good as his lifting technique.

I see this clown again at the gym tonight. This time, he has a 40. He bend forward at about forty five degrees, puts his arm in an L shape, and swings the weight up twice with one arm. I'm sitting there shaking my head. Next, he goes to the smith machine to bench. "No way he can screw this up." I think. WRONG! He puts one plate on each side, and brings the weight down. Not all the way, but that's common. At the top of the rep, this douchenozzle actually throws the weight up about six inches and catches it for ten reps. I found myself sitting there hoping he'd miss and the weight would crash on his face.

The worst part? He had his buddy with him that he was teaching.

Closed Thread
Page 250 of 334 FirstFirst ... 150 200 240 248 249 250 251 252 260 300 ... LastLast