Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000)

Question about Deadlift Form

When i have the bar at my hips and trying to put it down.
    From what i read i have to do reverse of what i did when picking it up so when i try to do it the bar hits my knees.
    Am i doing something wrong?

Should i first go down with my back or with my legs?
    When you think you’re done you’re only 40% into what your body is capable of doing and that’s just the limits that we put on ourselves. - David Goggins

*Misc Cologne Crew*

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    When i have the bar at my hips and trying to put it down.
    From what i read i have to do reverse of what i did when picking it up so when i try to do it the bar hits my knees.
    Am i doing something wrong?

Should i first go down with my back or with my legs?
    It should be one fluid motion. Try to stand with a wider stance to prevent hitting your knee.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    It should be one fluid motion. Try to stand with a wider stance to prevent hitting your knee.
    heh good idea why couldn't i think of that
    reps on recharge
    Last edited by Fanatik; 03-12-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    When you think you’re done you’re only 40% into what your body is capable of doing and that’s just the limits that we put on ourselves. - David Goggins

*Misc Cologne Crew*

troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troyladish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use your back.

Try to keep your back as straight as possible like your squating down. Chose which stance you like the most. (Sumo or Regular) and just get it done. It's the easiest lift there is if you think about it all you are doing is picking up the bar and setting it back down. Start with low weight if needed but after time this can be by far you strongest lift.

infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Make sure when you start off, your grip is a few inches wider than your stance (to avoid hitting the knees, of course). Keep a strong arch in your lower back, it's natural (and safe) position. Basically, stick your butt down. Sit down deep, so your thighs are about parallel (depending on height), andget rid of the tension on the bar. Start the movement by lifting with your legs first. After the bar has passed your knees by a few inches, then straighten out your back. To lower it, lean forwards just a touch (like 2 inches), break your hips, and bend with the knees, like you're squatting. Do the lowering motion with the legs primarily.

Personally I would say don't stop short of setting it down, but set it on the ground fully inbetween reps. Not only do you avoid the awkward feeling of trying to stop heavy weights a few inches off the ground, but it gives you the chance to start off with perfect form again. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion, and I'm pretty decent and DLing.
    Don't call me bro. I'm not your brother.
    Rack your weights. Don't be a douchebag.
    People who wear grip straps and gloves make me laugh.

Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
    Make sure when you start off, your grip is a few inches wider than your stance (to avoid hitting the knees, of course). Keep a strong arch in your lower back, it's natural (and safe) position. Basically, stick your butt down. Sit down deep, so your thighs are about parallel (depending on height), andget rid of the tension on the bar. Start the movement by lifting with your legs first. After the bar has passed your knees by a few inches, then straighten out your back. To lower it, lean forwards just a touch (like 2 inches), break your hips, and bend with the knees, like you're squatting. Do the lowering motion with the legs primarily.

Personally I would say don't stop short of setting it down, but set it on the ground fully inbetween reps. Not only do you avoid the awkward feeling of trying to stop heavy weights a few inches off the ground, but it gives you the chance to start off with perfect form again. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion, and I'm pretty decent and DLing.

Thx for the info dude, I think that what i was missing the small details '' 2 inches after bar passed knees, and 2 inches lean forward'' it didn't say that in any articles or Lift Rite videos i saw

*Misc Cologne Crew*

duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is not one of the "easiest" lifts to know, my experience has taught me that this is one of the more difficult lifts to master (and i use to think i had "good form")

your form should include the following:
    (1) shins touching the bar
    (2) pulling from a "relaxed" position at the top
    (3) arch your lower back by slightly pulling on the bar
    (4) throw your hips down to a position that you feel most comfortable, it should be a little above parallel (since most people rarely DO go to parallel when they do this) and PULL
    (5) restart

*note: some people scrape their shins (i know because i did before) but that can be fixed with corrected form

practice makes perfect.

best of luck.
    PUT UP OR SHUT UP

You say something!? Colossal Spoons's Avatar
    Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've had the wrong grip all this time.

immune to overtraining gollybegully's Avatar
    gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    im pretty inexperienced with deadlifts. I do them off the pins in the power rack about half way up my shins. My reasoning being that I do deads for lower back and i figured squats hit my legs well enough already.

Is my reasoning correct? doing them off the ground will involve the lower back more.....

and even though I keep my back straight theres really alot of back movement backwards (like a really short sld)....is that bad?

how about a good youtube video....
    The iron never lies

earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50) earlcampbell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by troyladish View Post
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use your back.
    Whoa. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Tell that to stiff legged deadlifters who can DL 700+ lbs.

duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50) duong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
    I've had the wrong grip all this time.
    a double overhand grip makes it difficult to grip the bar, if thats what your referring to.

its common among deadlifters to use a mixed grip, that is, one overhand and one underhand- it allows for a greater hold on the bar
    PUT UP OR SHUT UP

Originally Posted by gollybegully View Post
    im pretty inexperienced with deadlifts. I do them off the pins in the power rack about half way up my shins. My reasoning being that I do deads for lower back and i figured squats hit my legs well enough already.

Is my reasoning correct? doing them off the ground will involve the lower back more.....

and even though I keep my back straight theres really alot of back movement backwards (like a really short sld)....is that bad?

well, what your doing here is called "pin pulls." these are generally done with the bar beneath your knees (perhaps a pin or two lower). with this exercise, you should maintain a position as you would with a standard "off-the-ground" deadlift.

(1) start from a "relaxed" position
    (2) pull on the bar to arch your lower back
    (3) push your hips through in order to complete the pull
    PUT UP OR SHUT UP

SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by duong View Post
    well, what your doing here is called "pin pulls." these are generally done with the bar beneath your knees (perhaps a pin or two lower). with this exercise, you should maintain a position as you would with a standard "off-the-ground" deadlift.

(1) start from a "relaxed" position
    (2) pull on the bar to arch your lower back
    (3) push your hips through in order to complete the pull

I was inexperienced with deadlifts also. No one in my local gym would do them. One day I hit up a young powerlifter from the school and he showed me how to do sumo deadlifts. I started out with those and moved on to regular deads. About twice a month I will do rack pulls just to change it up. With rack pulls and deads be sure to get the form down before moving heavy weight.

Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colossal Spoons is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by duong View Post
    a double overhand grip makes it difficult to grip the bar, if thats what your referring to.

its common among deadlifters to use a mixed grip, that is, one overhand and one underhand- it allows for a greater hold on the bar

Oh no, I was doing it all wrong. My hands were close together and in between my legs. I just got back from lifting and boy did that wide grip make a difference. I'm smart lol.

SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SpeedDemon9 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
    Oh no, I was doing it all wrong. My hands were close together and in between my legs. I just got back from lifting and boy did that wide grip make a difference. I'm smart lol.
    Sounds like you were doing sumo deads.

^Yup, sure was. I fixed my grip and I feel a better burn.

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

nope, in this case your reasoning is faulty. doing them from the ground involves the legs MUCH more than doing off pins in a power rack. normally, these partial deads from a height just below the knees are called Rack Pulls, and they involve just as much lower back, just not as much legs. you should be able to lift more weight with the partial movement. i can Rack Pull roughly one hundred more lbs than i can deadlift (my max deadlift is 365, and i recently maxed out at 475 on the Rack pull).

best,
    ~lifer

m0sh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0sh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0sh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0sh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0sh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Scraping shins does not mean bad form...
    When you train in hell... It's not such a bad place.

Think Fast. Look Alive. Die Hard.