Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

How do you get yourself motivated as you did when you first started bodybuilding?

I've lifted weights since I was 8 years old as my father was a track coach and I would sit in the gym with nothing to do when he was coaching.

I lifted throughout my adult life about 1-2 times a week until I broke my foot playing competitive tennis in 2010 and started lifting weights and swimming. Then I got really into bodybuilding and I read a lot on this site and other sites, found a lot of recipes and training guides from Vanessa Tib and Jamie Eason and I was committed to lift 6x a week and do post workout cardio.

After that I started training with an IFBB pro and got in the best shape, especially after having a baby and being in my 40s. She had me lifting 6x a week at first with 3 hours of cardio, and then 5x a week once I hit my goal weight.

Now I feel like when I'm in the gym I can't wait to leave after 45 minutes, and I only go 3x a week and walk the other days. I'm not as motivated by the food and I find it tiresome and I want variety. I'm too exhausted to do cardio and weights. Granted I now take medication that makes me tired so that's part of it.

How do you get that newbie bodybuilding spark back?!
    Last edited by DustinTheHuss; 08-19-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    Make It a Great Day! Just call me Dusty. It's a Clown 🤡 World out there.

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to hear Dusty.
    a few thoughts:
    -focus on clear short/medium/long term goals (weight loss/body comp/specific lifts, etc)
    -give additional rewards to self (if completing 3 good sessions in a week, go to an anticipated movie, buy a new album, etc)
    -take a break and do a different physical activity (take up mountain climbing etc) that will reach some of the same fitness goals
    -change the time of your workout, workout with partners
    -JUST keep at it - it may change as you push through the doldrums

Good luck!
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PhDPepper1111 View Post
    Sorry to hear Dusty.
    a few thoughts:
    -focus on clear short/medium/long term goals (weight loss/body comp/specific lifts, etc)
    -give additional rewards to self (if completing 3 good sessions in a week, go to an anticipated movie, buy a new album, etc)
    -take a break and do a different physical activity (take up mountain climbing etc) that will reach some of the same fitness goals

Good luck!
    Great list!

The two of these that work best for me are rewards and working out with a partner. I have just signed up for a personal trainer which might also be a source of encouragement to restart.

Two additional things I do:

I listen to muscle podcasts when I’m driving or doing tasks around the house. They definitely get me inspired. My personal favorite is “3D Muscle Journey” (3DMJ).

I keep records of all my workouts, varying sets and reps so that I can hit new PRs every week. Maybe no one else would care about whether I can do 16 or 17 reps at a certain weight, but if it is even one rep more than the last time I tried, it’s a win for me! (And I have some small plates so I can use 2.5 or even 1 pound increments.)

Best wishes!
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 08-19-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DustinTheHuss View Post
    Now I feel like when I'm in the gym I can't wait to leave after 45 minutes
    I certainly don’t use that as an indicator.

On saturdays I train for 1.5 hours but I’m also doing stuff I really enjoy but will also work at the same time.

In contrast, yesterday I only did 1-set of squats for 50 reps and I did them faster than normal. Think about how long it takes to complete a full squat, about 3 seconds right, so a nonstop 60 repper would take at least 3 minutes. My set was closer to 4 minutes.

I didn’t need to do a fuking thing after that!!!

Plus I enjoyed every minute of it.

Today I just completed diamonds pushups, totaled 80 reps in 3 sets and it was not hard, then I finished off with 4-tricep extension pushups fully extended (try that one, it’s humbling).

Sometimes doing a lift or body part a day is great.

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Every morning, take your clothes off and stand before the mirror and on the scale. If you're happy with what you see then great. If not, then you know what to do.

I'm able to fairly accurately guess my weight by how I look in the mirror that morning.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

Willing to create a thread "Is Paul Jerome a Larp" if anyone with a username 5 years or older accuses me of fraud. Any takers?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How do you get that newbie bodybuilding spark back?!
    You don't necessarily need to regain that newbie spark. If your heart's not into it anymore just treat it like "me time"... an escape from work, spouse/significant other, kids etc. & have some friendly quick banter in between sets with other regulars who aren't involved in your real life.

DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On 24 hour spread. Thanks everyone!

Sorry to hear Dusty.
    a few thoughts:

Good luck!
    I like the idea of rewards such as going to a movie, as I went to a movie theater to see Top Gun Maverick for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it. The pandemic really cut those out of my life and that sucked.

My main sport is tennis as I played in college and league, but it's too hard on my back with my extra weight so I stopped playing in April to get myself in better shape. Maybe my goals will be to get back in shape enough to play tennis, or maybe pickle ball, again.

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Great list!

The two of these that work best for me are rewards and working out with a partner. I have just signed up for a personal trainer which might also be a source of encouragement to restart.

Two additional things I do:

I listen to muscle podcasts when I’m driving or doing tasks around the house. They definitely get me inspired. My personal favorite is “3D Muscle Journey” (3DMJ).

I keep records of all my workouts, varying sets and reps so that I can hit new PRs every week. Maybe no one else would care about whether I can do 16 or 17 reps at a certain weight, but if it is even one rep more than the last time I tried, it’s a win for me! (And I have some small plates so I can use 2.5 or even 1 pound increments.)

Best wishes!
    Music podcasts sound awesome!

My Dad has a workout diary and that's a great idea.

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    I certainly don’t use that as an indicator.

On saturdays I train for 1.5 hours but I’m also doing stuff I really enjoy but will also work at the same time.

In contrast, yesterday I only did 1-set of squats for 50 reps and I did them faster than normal. Think about how long it takes to complete a full squat, about 3 seconds right, so a nonstop 60 repper would take at least 3 minutes. My set was closer to 4 minutes.

I didn’t need to do a fuking thing after that!!!

Plus I enjoyed every minute of it.

Today I just completed diamonds pushups, totaled 80 reps in 3 sets and it was not hard, then I finished off with 4-tricep extension pushups fully extended (try that one, it’s humbling).

Sometimes doing a lift or body part a day is great.
    1.5 hours and you could walk after?

I think a lot of my problems are anxiety meds. I told my Dr. I would rather be exhausted than anxious, so the meds make me so tired like a sloth. It's easier to sit here on the computer and type than to do anything and I just want to crawl back on the couch. I'm working on tapering off of that medication, though.

Originally Posted by PaulJerome View Post
    Every morning, take your clothes off and stand before the mirror and on the scale. If you're happy with what you see then great. If not, then you know what to do.

I'm able to fairly accurately guess my weight by how I look in the mirror that morning.
    Ugh I'm in recovery for an eating disorder so that would freak me out as I'm not happy with my body image at all. My therapist hasn't gotten me to that point yet. She just has me staring at photos of myself for exposure for size acceptance, which I don't like at all.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You don't necessarily need to regain that newbie spark. If your heart's not into it anymore just treat it like "me time"... an escape from work, spouse/significant other, kids etc. & have some friendly quick banter in between sets with other regulars who aren't involved in your real life.
    Yeah I need it as an escape from my family crisis. I've been super sick and that has also challenged me all summer (colds, sinus infection, ear infection, bad cough from the stress) so I am planning to squeeze in a workout before I go to my Dad's and manage the finances today.

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

1.5 hours and you could walk after?
    I can, BUT it isn’t easy, I’m pretty fuking destroyed after that.

This is where my high intensity brief workout comes in handy.

See, when the intensity is high, the training should be brief. This preps the body for more volume.

This stuff isn’t supposed to be easy, especially if you want a bb’er look, but you also don’t need to do 3 fuking hours of cardio a day either or an hour of lifting every single session.

Again, I got more benefits from squatting 4 minutes at high intensity than most cookie cutter 1 hour sessions. The trick is to stay consistent and goals of improving.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Howdy Dustin, I don't think I can help but here's my couple of coppers anyways.

The Mirror is all the motivation I need. The rest is just because it's my lifestyle. IMO 45 minutes is plenty for bodybuilding. I usually keep my training to 60 minutes or less..

Cardio, I do a ton, but it's all fun stuff. A lot of sports, hiking, cycling, skiing etc.. I do a couple of hours min of these things daily. 7 days a week, I refuse to get on a treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike etc... I leave that stuff for the hamsters, my cardio is all outside.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for Dustin, good luck!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Paul Kreul has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A mix of pre-workout supps and Joko podcasts do it for me

I can, BUT it isn’t easy, I’m pretty fuking destroyed after that.

This is where my high intensity brief workout comes in handy.

See, when the intensity is high, the training should be brief. This preps the body for more volume.

This stuff isn’t supposed to be easy, especially if you want a bb’er look, but you also don’t need to do 3 fuking hours of cardio a day either or an hour of lifting every single session.

Again, I got more benefits from squatting 4 minutes at high intensity than most cookie cutter 1 hour sessions. The trick is to stay consistent and goals of improving.
    I don't recover at 50 as quickly as I did in my 20s. Granted that also could be my medication.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Howdy Dustin, I don't think I can help but here's my couple of coppers anyways.

The Mirror is all the motivation I need. The rest is just because it's my lifestyle. IMO 45 minutes is plenty for bodybuilding. I usually keep my training to 60 minutes or less..

Cardio, I do a ton, but it's all fun stuff. A lot of sports, hiking, cycling, skiing etc.. I do a couple of hours min of these things daily. 7 days a week, I refuse to get on a treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike etc... I leave that stuff for the hamsters, my cardio is all outside.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for Dustin, good luck!
    Yeah I miss tennis. Hopefully I'll give it a try, or maybe pickleball as there is less running. I am changing up my routine as since I've been doing the same split for 6 months so I think I'm just bored. I can't do the hamster wheel of the gym cardio machines either, unless it's raining.

Originally Posted by Paul Kreul View Post
    A mix of pre-workout supps and Joko podcasts do it for me

Thanks for sharing!

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    the list
    1. weight training gets boring over 2 decades so cross training, or sports, is a nice challenge until your drive for the gym returns.
    Biking, jogging/5k 10k races, hikes, basketball, tennis, or any other activity that you enjoy.

2. A short term goal like a trip, wedding, class reunion, or a goal that puts a time constraint helps you focus and kick it into high gear.

3. Improve a body part goal
    By this i mean looking in the mirror and admitting ______ sucks and i want it to look good by a certain date.
    For me this was upper chest and i reached a high of 405x5 and i see the area now sticks out a bit, so i am pretty happy.
    This new goal took about 4-6 months.

It is literally tricking your brain into short term pressure to have a reason to work harder at the gym. Find a reason to motivate you.

Good luck and i hope that you find the new motivation that you seek.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

I don't recover at 50 as quickly as I did in my 20s. Granted that also could be my medication.

That’s usually how it works, so when I’m not recovered I lighten up both weight and intensity.

At our ages it’s more important to do whatever it is we are doing. Example: let’s say I’m smoked from dead lifting or squatting, the next day I will do something much easier but I will still “do something” and I when I dead lift or squat again, it will be a light less intense day.

I never squatted more than once/twice a week in my 20s, now I can squat almost everyday and make it work.

So in essence by listening to the body and ditching all the fads from trainers and mags, one can build faster recovery at 50 than when in 20s and be stronger too.

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Motivation is fleeting and temporary, inspiration comes from within and is more stable. The optimal psychological state would then to be inspired rather than temporarily motivated.
    Often those that are inspired become inspiring and motivational for others.
    The key question should thus be, how to get motivated long enough to get inspired.

Imo, motivated people think of goals. Inspired people conceptualize them as challenges, journeys, or quests. Inspired people are confident in their ability and skill and cognizant of the hard work and dedication required to complete said challenges.

I've been doing this sh*t for damn near 34 years in a row. What I call a "lifestyle" some call inspired/motivated. It's no big deal to me going to the gym 6-7 days/week, I feel worse if I don't.
    Like my cosmic hero said "There is no try. There is do, or do not." You literally need to live this stuff, day in, day out. It has to come from within. If, after a period of several months it is not, it is simply time to find a new avenue to achieve your fitness goals.
    I don't begrudge anyone not wanting to nor able to follow the bodybuilding lifestyle. Daily weight training, cardio, and nutritional monitoring is not for everyone.

An old school story to illustrate my point;
    Steve Michalik was an old time bodybuilder/trainer out at Gold's gym in Venice California. He was certifiably nuts as well. Pete Grymowski was an up and coming phenom in the bodybuiding community. Pete moved to Venice to go under the tutelage of Steve. After a series of sub standard training sessions according to Steve, Steve decided to go swimming with Pete in the nearby ocean as part of his training. Steve was ranting and raving that the new kid had a great body but a piss poor work ethic considering the show he was going in (Mr. America I think). At this point Steve had written off Pete as becoming a champion of anything.
    Pete and Steve are swimming, Steve leads Pete to deeper water...and attacks him from behind! Steve puts Pete in a choke hold and pushes him deep under the water AND gets on top of him to make sure he can't come up for air. Pete is fighting and flailing to get Steve off of him and get to the surface, time is now running out.
    Steve releases Pete, gets off of him and Pete rapidly ascends to the surface gasping for air.
    After he's done choking and sputtering, Pete is demanding answers from Steve.
    Steve was furious with him (I mentioned he was crazy).
    "As much as you were struggling for air down there (points to the water) is how much you need to fight to win this competition.
    You need to want the win as much as you need air.
    If you can't do this, we're done right now. If you are going to give it your very soul, I'll see you at the gym in the morning."

Pete Grymowski competition record

Mr Eastern America – AAU, Winner
    Junior Mr America – AAU, 9th
    Junior Mr America – AAU, Most Muscular, 5th

Mr America – AAU, Most Muscular, 5th
    Mr America – AAU, 2nd
    Junior Mr USA – AAU, Winner
    Junior Mr USA – AAU, Most Muscular, 1st

Mr America – AAU, Most Muscular, 1st
    Mr America – AAU, 2nd
    Junior Mr America – AAU, Most Muscular, 1st
    Junior Mr America – AAU, Winner

Mr America – AAU, Most Muscular, 2nd
    Mr America – AAU, 2nd

Mr America – AAU, Tall, 3rd
    Mr America – IFBB, HeavyWeight, 1st
    Mr World – IFBB, HeavyWeight, 1st

Professional World Cup – IFBB, 4th

Florida Pro Invitational – IFBB, 5th
    Pittsburgh Pro Invitational – IFBB, 3rd

gnome wut im sayin'?

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I love that post, my only question is what percentage of the 331 million people have that type of drive and inspiration?

For sure it is under 1%.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Thank you everyone! The forum keeps losing my posts, so I'll try to copy and paste what I wrote and cut the posts as I assume there are some characters that bb.com doesn't like:

I used to train hard in the winter for tennis season. I think a lot of it is now I'm finding that without tennis I'm kind of lost since that's been my competitive sport since age 10.

In 2011 I had hoped to get a younger guy who was a personal trainer whom I was seeing as a FWB as a relationship as older women I knew who were in shape were getting married to or living with younger men. Now all of those relationships have failed (surprise, surprise) and that's not as important to me. I would like to find a guy around my age. Plus my trainer passed away and her social media posts were inspiring.

I just had a bad cold, which had Covid-like symptoms for 10 days, and did some light shoulders and abs Wednesday night, I went for a 45 minute walk with my neighbor Thursday night, and I was WIPED Thursday night and Friday. I went on that same 45 minute walk yesterday and my abs hurt the whole time. I was like WTF how did I get so weak. 10 days of mostly bed rest really weakened me so quickly after exercising 6 days a week?!

GREAT STORY! As an athlete I can totally relate.

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    I love that post, my only question is what percentage of the 331 million people have that type of drive and inspiration?

For sure it is under 1%.
    That's true. I was a college athlete so exercising has always been a part of my life. I think taking numerous meds for anxiety and depression starting in 2018, and the fatigue side effects, plus being too heavy to play tennis without hurting myself, has made it tough to do anything.

I mean I have been lifting 3x a week since the gym stopped requiring masks November and walk or hike the other days, but like I said I look at the clock to try to leave in 45 minutes.

I used to have friends to talk to in the gym, but they all left with the pandemic. Now that I'm analyzing it I think that, along with missing tennis (which was very social for me), has made me kind of hazy in terms of adapting. Now I need to find new friends, which is tough for me as I'm on the shy side and self conscious of the weight I gained.

I used to go to conferences by Brian Tracy and he said to write down my goals. One of them is to get back in shape so I can move again and get back on the tennis court. Aesthetics is big, too. I'll eat healthy all day long and then eat carbs at night when I get weaker, so I just have been experimenting with adding more protein so I'm not so hungry at night. So far after 2 weeks I've noticed a big difference in terms of snacking on my husband's root vegetable chips, which isn't good for my pre-diabetes anyway to just have empty carbs like that. They're better than regular potato chips in terms of nutrition but they are so tasty I can eat too many of them.

My motivation goes out the window at night. It's weird because I have no cravings for "unhealthy food" during the day.

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

Thank you everyone! The forum keeps losing my posts, so I'll try to copy and paste what I wrote and cut the posts as I assume there are some characters that bb.com doesn't like:

I used to train hard in the winter for tennis season. I think a lot of it is now I'm finding that without tennis I'm kind of lost since that's been my competitive sport since age 10.

In 2011 I had hoped to get a younger guy who was a personal trainer whom I was seeing as a FWB as a relationship as older women I knew who were in shape were getting married to or living with younger men. Now all of those relationships have failed (surprise, surprise) and that's not as important to me. I would like to find a guy around my age. Plus my trainer passed away and her social media posts were inspiring.

I just had a bad cold, which had Covid-like symptoms for 10 days, and did some light shoulders and abs Wednesday night, I went for a 45 minute walk with my neighbor Thursday night, and I was WIPED Thursday night and Friday. I went on that same 45 minute walk yesterday and my abs hurt the whole time. I was like WTF how did I get so weak. 10 days of mostly bed rest really weakened me so quickly after exercising 6 days a week?!

GREAT STORY! As an athlete I can totally relate.

That's true. I was a college athlete so exercising has always been a part of my life. I think taking numerous meds for anxiety and depression starting in 2018, and the fatigue side effects, plus being too heavy to play tennis without hurting myself, has made it tough to do anything.

I mean I have been lifting 3x a week since the gym stopped requiring masks November and walk or hike the other days, but like I said I look at the clock to try to leave in 45 minutes.

I used to have friends to talk to in the gym, but they all left with the pandemic. Now that I'm analyzing it I think that, along with missing tennis (which was very social for me), has made me kind of hazy in terms of adapting. Now I need to find new friends, which is tough for me as I'm on the shy side and self conscious of the weight I gained.

I used to go to conferences by Brian Tracy and he said to write down my goals. One of them is to get back in shape so I can move again and get back on the tennis court. Aesthetics is big, too. I'll eat healthy all day long and then eat carbs at night when I get weaker, so I just have been experimenting with adding more protein so I'm not so hungry at night. So far after 2 weeks I've noticed a big difference in terms of snacking on my husband's root vegetable chips, which isn't good for my pre-diabetes anyway to just have empty carbs like that. They're better than regular potato chips in terms of nutrition but they are so tasty I can eat too many of them.

My motivation goes out the window at night. It's weird because I have no cravings for "unhealthy food" during the day.
    1. Those pills make everyone bigger but mentally stable, it is a real trade off.
    2. My friends abandoned the gym as well, so i use high energy EDM( electronic dance music/ think guetta) to get my energy flowing and push my limits.
    3. I think the carb cravings are due to the meds, but ask your pharmacist about that, and substitute nuts or popcorn .
    You got this!

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    2. My friends abandoned the gym as well, so i use high energy EDM( electronic dance music/ think guetta) to get my energy flowing and push my limits.

100% ben, I am a huge EDM fan and David Guetta is all over my playlists. great stuff for the gym or cycling. It's on a lot in my house as well. By far my favourite music.

Downloaded this one for my bike ride this am

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

For sure it is under 1%.

Here is a true 1%er, this guy is great.

https://youtu.be/I3iIPc-glGo

So about a decade ago i learned about this "older" French dude who was a great house music producer and a creative DJ working with all the latest artists , and i have been hooked ever since.

here are 2 locations where i get all of the latest files for the gym and they are safe, no issues on computer or phone.

1. https://mixing.dj/?s=David+Guetta
    2. https://mixing.dj/#

100% ben, I am a huge EDM fan and David Guetta is all over my playlists. great stuff for the gym or cycling. It's on a lot in my house as well. By far my favourite music.

Downloaded this one for my bike ride this am

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    On 24 hour spread. Thanks everyone!

I like the idea of rewards such as going to a movie, as I went to a movie theater to see Top Gun Maverick for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it. The pandemic really cut those out of my life and that sucked.

My main sport is tennis as I played in college and league, but it's too hard on my back with my extra weight so I stopped playing in April to get myself in better shape. Maybe my goals will be to get back in shape enough to play tennis, or maybe pickle ball, again.

My Dad has a workout diary and that's a great idea.

I think a lot of my problems are anxiety meds. I told my Dr. I would rather be exhausted than anxious, so the meds make me so tired like a sloth. It's easier to sit here on the computer and type than to do anything and I just want to crawl back on the couch. I'm working on tapering off of that medication, though.

Ugh I'm in recovery for an eating disorder so that would freak me out as I'm not happy with my body image at all. My therapist hasn't gotten me to that point yet. She just has me staring at photos of myself for exposure for size acceptance, which I don't like at all.

Yeah I need it as an escape from my family crisis. I've been super sick and that has also challenged me all summer (colds, sinus infection, ear infection, bad cough from the stress) so I am planning to squeeze in a workout before I go to my Dad's and manage the finances today.
    -yep, rewards are good as a replacement for intrinsic reward which may return as you get back into it. I like the motivation of getting healthy enough for tennis again!
    -Diaries are good. I'm writing mine in the Powerlifting forums and I like both the documentation and accountability (I keep mine personally in a spreadsheet 'at home' as well)
    -Anxiety meds can certainly be an issue. Fatigue is less common but can occur. The most common chronic effects are weight gain and sexual dysfunction. You have to weigh the cost vs benefit - if it really helps with anxiety it still may be worth it and you can use the other strategies to mitigate the effects. Consider trying a change of meds to try to get less effects if going off them isn't feasible. Obviously discuss with your provider.
    -Agree with the personal issue you mention the mirror is actually not your friend. It wasn't bad advice in general, but for you I'd be very careful of using the mirror for motivation. You are wise there.
    -Illness sucks and is a hurdle, but you WILL get better! Exercise to tolerance that helps you recover but don't overdo it and slow your recovery.
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

1. Those pills make everyone bigger but mentally stable, it is a real trade off.
    3. I think the carb cravings are due to the meds, but ask your pharmacist about that, and substitute nuts or popcorn .
    You got this!
    Yeah I was taking a different med when I got lean last but it increases anxiety so my Dr. changed it. I told my Dr. I’d rather be sleepy than anxious, but I know a couple of these meds just make people want to sleep and eat from talking to them on forums.

Some have controlled it with keto or other low carb diets, but then I have an eating disorder from anorexia to bulimia to just binging that comes into play when I diet severely.

Anyhow I do well about 5 nights out of 7 so Im working on the last two in terms of the late night snacking. I’ll eat healthy all day and then ruin it

At least I did shoulders and legs yesterday!

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

So about a decade ago i learned about this "older" French dude who was a great house music producer and a creative DJ working with all the latest artists , and i have been hooked ever since.

here are 2 locations where i get all of the latest files for the gym and they are safe, no issues on computer or phone.

1. https://mixing.dj/?s=David+Guetta
    2. https://mixing.dj/#

Thanks a bunch ben, I book marked those links in case I need them..

I have youtube "Premium" that I use for most of my music needs, I can stream from it and download for offline use if needed.

For sure it is under 1%.

Hi Ben,

1%er checking in with a vid. Now I don't think this vid is impressive or anything, in fact I think I suck.

I'm just showing how bad I want it. What do I want, to be better than yesterday, and here I made it happen, so I'm happy today and today only, tomorrow lies another day.

......I'm looking forward to keeping it going to.

Dustin, I will be nice and sore tomorrow, but I'm still gonna train, I'm gonna do something challenging to, I'm not just going to through the motions. I will however use "lighter" weights tomorrow.

The last 4 reps of the vid is what separates from wanting to not wanting it (being better than yesterday).

Hi Ben,

1%er checking in with a vid. Now I don't think this vid is impressive or anything, in fact I think I suck.

I'm just showing how bad I want it. What do I want, to be better than yesterday, and here I made it happen, so I'm happy today and today only, tomorrow lies another day.

......I'm looking forward to keeping it going to.

Dustin, I will be nice and sore tomorrow, but I'm still gonna train, I'm gonna do something challenging to, I'm not just going to through the motions. I will however use "lighter" weights tomorrow.

The last 4 reps of the vid is what separates from wanting to not wanting it (being better than yesterday).
    Dude, that is the truly awesome thing about what you do. You are an 'average' guy working your a$$ off - which makes you something other than average! :P
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

Last night I knew I needed to lift weights but I identified the issue—shame. I am embarrassed that I’ve gained weight and seeing my reflection in the mirrors makes me ashamed and embarrassed.

I was hospitalized for anorexia in 2000 where they had me gain 50 lbs in 3 months and since then the battle has been bulimia and overeating. I got to a low weight again in 2012 but started gaining it back and then some in 2016. I lost 40 lbs last year. Luckily the bulimia has been under control the last year as I wouldn’t get rid of all of the food and gained weight. It’s a dangerous mindset to think you can eat anything you want and just throw it up.

So I went for a walk in the dark so others couldn’t see me. But I can see why other overweight people might feel shame in the gym as well. I have tight tops but they remind me that my stomach isn’t flat as it was in 2016. Back then I had men cold approach me in the gym and now I feel invisible.

Luckily today I’m going to do an F45 workout and there are no mirrors so that helps. What’s hard is that the trainers sometimes record us and post it on social media and I hate the sight.

My therapist works with me on exposure to my new size and size acceptance but I still can’t accept it.

I just decided I’ll go to the gym on Wednesday and just wear a looser top so I can’t see my stomach in the mirror.

I ate well last night so that feels good. I’m working with my therapist to eat more protein so I’m not hungry at night as my husband puts out root vegetables chips that are so tempting. I asked him to hide them and he refuses. I think he’s trying to sabotage me since he can’t stand me. I just have to be stronger when I’m hungry and eat more protein. I eat healthy all day and have zero desire for unhealthy food during the day.

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

Last night I knew I needed to lift weights but I identified the issue—shame. I am embarrassed that I’ve gained weight and seeing my reflection in the mirrors makes me ashamed and embarrassed.

I was hospitalized for anorexia in 2000 where they had me gain 50 lbs in 3 months and since then the battle has been bulimia and overeating. I got to a low weight again in 2012 but started gaining it back and then some in 2016. I lost 40 lbs last year. Luckily the bulimia has been under control the last year as I wouldn’t get rid of all of the food and gained weight. It’s a dangerous mindset to think you can eat anything you want and just throw it up.

So I went for a walk in the dark so others couldn’t see me. But I can see why other overweight people might feel shame in the gym as well. I have tight tops but they remind me that my stomach isn’t flat as it was in 2016. Back then I had men cold approach me in the gym and now I feel invisible.

Luckily today I’m going to do an F45 workout and there are no mirrors so that helps. What’s hard is that the trainers sometimes record us and post it on social media and I hate the sight.

My therapist works with me on exposure to my new size and size acceptance but I still can’t accept it.

I just decided I’ll go to the gym on Wednesday and just wear a looser top so I can’t see my stomach in the mirror.

I ate well last night so that feels good. I’m working with my therapist to eat more protein so I’m not hungry at night as my husband puts out root vegetables chips that are so tempting. I asked him to hide them and he refuses. I think he’s trying to sabotage me since he can’t stand me. I just have to be stronger when I’m hungry and eat more protein. I eat healthy all day and have zero desire for unhealthy food during the day.

So lately i ask myself questions like what is an age 40 or 50 "non using" normal gym person supposed to look like?
    It is a deep question because we all have had a journey and some are still struggling with issues, so you cannot "decide" what that look is exactly.
    If you had an adversarial relationship with food, and eating makes this even harder, it will be a challenge since diet is 65-75% of training results.
    Just love yourself and try to enjoy the exercise process while creating fun goals which will lead to physical changes.

I just talked to a buddy from high school who said my 405pound training days are over ( trying to lift heavy) and he asks himself, what am i trying to prove with this weight?
    He is right to a degree, just get to the point where you are comfortable in your own skin.
    Last edited by x-trainer ben; 08-23-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Dude, that is the truly awesome thing about what you do. You are an 'average' guy working your a$$ off - which makes you something other than average! :P

Hi Pepper,

Something that isn’t so average about me is that I did compete in AM strongman for 5 years (most on this board don’t believe I did). This was before everyone had smart phones, 2003 to 2008 But I did just look like an average joe. I used to get a kick out of being called “the sleeper”. I sucked at traditional weight lifting but I beat or tied most of the muscle heads in tire flips, farmers carries, yoke, and Conan’s wheel, when you add up 3 top finishes that put ahead of many them. We had a dead lift event and I got last place but placed 1st on a farmers hold for time with a heavier weight.

I wasn’t a natural at those events. I trained them everyday, but I didn’t do much traditional full ROM weight training.

Never run away from a predator, predators are used to that so they will kill you.

If you have a run in with a bear or shark or cat, run/swim towards them with no fear, they aren’t used to that so they usually will retreat.

If they don’t, well they will kill you anyways if you run so might ass we’ll go out HARDCORE!

Ask an animal expert about this, see what they say.