VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Incorporating Volume into an end of an Era (My Novice stage)

Hi guys--
    My novice stage Is i believe drawing an end of its life. I'm 31 and have stalled multiple times on my main lifts and struggle to get any further. I can maybe break a PR if i keep deloading at a 3x5 and retry like 2-3 times for a measly gain of maybe 5-10lbs before I need to deload again and waste another month or two trying to add another 5lbs...There has to be a faster way now.
    I'm doing a 3x5. perhaps closest to a F5 with slight modifications. i will note, the main modification i made in the last year is switching to a deadlift vs a RDL. I know, i know it's a not recommended (also with the exception of a FS), but It's been a hot minute and i'd like to bring it back in and i've been remaking some good gains there.

My current 5rm's are as follows:
    Bench : 200lbs --I can probably arguable say 205. Blegh, i'd kill to make it to 225.
    Squat: 265...maybe 275 on a well rested day.
    Deadlift 225 -- I think i can still make some novice style gains on this one so not to fret.
    OHP: 115
    Chins - 10lb weighted -5-6reps

I think, unfortunately the next step will probably to start incorporating some volume to get me back into the swing of things. I'm gonna absolutely miss being able to do 3 fully body compound exercises and make some great gains on it, but the stalls are starting to get real sadly....and tbh i'm not looking forward to doing a ton of volume but it is what it is, gotta be more efficient at the gym with time right?

What program would be the best move to make into next? I tried 5/3/1 in the past and tbh i just don't have as much discipline to the the AMRAP mindset and felt i stalled a few years just doing this...

I'm currently nearing the end of a cut, down to 180ish pounds.
    I'd also like to note that I'm currently also playing tennis 3-5 times a week for about an 1-2 hours which burns an itnense amount of calories and energies so my caloric "deficit" is really around 3000kcals atm. Honestly, i'd like something that complements both activities but I know it's gonna be tough to do... My focus needs to be on strength especially when i restart bulking here in the next few. (although I'm eying cutting down 5-7 more lbs).
    "Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow"

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The next step would be to switch to the f5 intermediate upper lower and then to the inter advanced ulppl.

Something tells me you’re not deadlifting correctly or squatting high. DL should be way higher if your squatting that much…I’d do the intermediate upper lower with novice progression for legs.
    Last edited by TAWS6; 08-18-2022 at 09:45 AM.

VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    The next step would be to switch to the f5 intermediate upper lower and then to the inter advanced ulppl.

Something tells me you’re not deadlifting correctly or squatting high. DL should be way higher if your squatting that much…I’d do the intermediate upper lower with novice progression for legs.
    Oh, i should mention theres still a ton left in my tank for novice gains for a deadlift. Those i've just (re) started working out a few months to maybe a year ago, so they are still very well in the novice / getting accustomed to it stage. Therefore I definitely can keep that at a 3x5 for quite some time.

Am I SOL for a full body 3 days a week system nowadays? I love the simplicity and easy gains I've been able to get for 3 times a week on it for the past 2 years of serious lifting.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VmissileX View Post
    Oh, i should mention theres still a ton left in my tank for novice gains for a deadlift. Those i've just (re) started working out a few months to maybe a year ago, so they are still very well in the novice / getting accustomed to it stage. Therefore I definitely can keep that at a 3x5 for quite some time.

Am I SOL for a full body 3 days a week system nowadays? I love the simplicity and easy gains I've been able to get for 3 times a week on it for the past 2 years of serious lifting.
    Of course you can do a 3-day fb if that's what you prefer and have time for, just not sure why you expect to make the same rate of progress. The set/rep/intensity/progress/exercise scheme is what you'd need to play with based on where you are and your priorities. You're getting a bit caught up with term "novice stage" in general.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If the work outs aren’t overwhelming then you can still with full body. Generally you switch when you can’t make it through and need better energy management (upper lower)

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Of course you can do a 3-day fb if that's what you prefer and have time for, just not sure why you expect to make the same rate of progress. The set/rep/intensity/progress/exercise scheme is what you'd need to play with based on where you are and your priorities. You're getting a bit caught up with term "novice stage" in general.
    Thanks! What would be a good recommendation to increase intensity? Perhaps adding extra reps to my 5RM and sticking with that for a bit and then moving up?

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    If the work outs aren’t overwhelming then you can still with full body. Generally you switch when you can’t make it through and need better energy management (upper lower)
    Thanks. I think the biggest issue I am running into is plateuing multiple times now and even after a few deloads and increasing, im adding a measly 5lbs over the course of 2-3 months deloads included before i need to readjust....

I'm thinking of pushing 3x5 again for now until i plateau on my lifts and then deloading and adding volume for a bit....for example:
    Bench - If i stall at 205, bring it down 20 percent from a 1rm theoretical (225) down to 185 (perhaps slightly lower) and focus on adding a few more reps. For example, 3x6, 3x7 every week and then when i hit like 195-205, reduce back down to 3x5 or so...
    What do you think?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VmissileX View Post
    Thanks! What would be a good recommendation to increase intensity? Perhaps adding extra reps to my 5RM and sticking with that for a bit and then moving up?
    I wasn't necessarily saying to increase the intensity, but your idea is one way to adjust progression away from a novice style LP. Even if you stick with a 3-day fb, you likely may find that you need or want more volume/exercises etc. beyond what you've been doing.

Sometimes switching rep schemes, exercises etc. are a good idea when you're continually hitting a wall on progress as well.

Well, without a surplus of calories you can’t expect much tbh