manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Any wrestlers here? Need some advice/tips!

I am one of the stronger wrestlers at my academy (although I never have taken wrestling in HS or college, just learned wrestling through jiu jitsu) and I can hold my own with most wrestlers that come in but there are a few wrestlers who come in that have the same strategy that I am having trouble dealing with..

They basically do a barrage of strong clubs/collar ties on me and I try to clear them, they KEEP clubbing and collar tie-ing me.. which makes me exausted and I cannot keep them a bay.

I break them using Russians, snap downs, and other techniques but they both are extremely good at getting the tie and latching onto me which makes it difficult for me to do anything.

Last few rolling sessions - the way my opponent has taken me down was from me being exhausted, to them either snapping me down, or from them taking me down after a exhausted single / double attempt.

Has anyone experienced this and what are some things or strategies you have tried to beat someone who is a collar tie beast?

akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by manmore350 View Post
    I am one of the stronger wrestlers at my academy (although I never have taken wrestling in HS or college, just learned wrestling through jiu jitsu) and I can hold my own with most wrestlers that come in but there are a few wrestlers who come in that have the same strategy that I am having trouble dealing with..

They basically do a barrage of strong clubs/collar ties on me and I try to clear them, they KEEP clubbing and collar tie-ing me.. which makes me exausted and I cannot keep them a bay.

I break them using Russians, snap downs, and other techniques but they both are extremely good at getting the tie and latching onto me which makes it difficult for me to do anything.

Last few rolling sessions - the way my opponent has taken me down was from me being exhausted, to them either snapping me down, or from them taking me down after a exhausted single / double attempt.

Has anyone experienced this and what are some things or strategies you have tried to beat someone who is a collar tie beast?
    Couple things…

- it is mainly due to your learning wrestling thru bjj, but it is a death sentence in wrestling if you are letting them dictate the action.

- if he’s reaching trying to initiate contact, he’s not defending as effectively. Keep changing levels, and moving in/out/circle.

- initiate the hand fighting yourself. Keep them honest. Fight for inside position, AND DONT FORGET ABOUT THE HEAD POSITION BATTLE. If you feel like your getting controlled a lot, very good chance you are getting worked in the head position battle as well.

- if cleaning / shucking the tie for a russian or duck under isn’t working, try getting hand inside collar bicep and circle away as you change levels. Many times this will set up inside or outside single depending on how they react.

Coming from a bjj base drills some habits that are not the best for wrestling (and vice versa). Huge one is bjj is more reactive and methodical, where wrestling is more about initiating pace / pressure / action. Good luck!

manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by akmerle View Post
    Couple things…

- it is mainly due to your learning wrestling thru bjj, but it is a death sentence in wrestling if you are letting them dictate the action.

- if he’s reaching trying to initiate contact, he’s not defending as effectively. Keep changing levels, and moving in/out/circle.

- initiate the hand fighting yourself. Keep them honest. Fight for inside position, AND DONT FORGET ABOUT THE HEAD POSITION BATTLE. If you feel like your getting controlled a lot, very good chance you are getting worked in the head position battle as well.

- if cleaning / shucking the tie for a russian or duck under isn’t working, try getting hand inside collar bicep and circle away as you change levels. Many times this will set up inside or outside single depending on how they react.

Coming from a bjj base drills some habits that are not the best for wrestling (and vice versa). Huge one is bjj is more reactive and methodical, where wrestling is more about initiating pace / pressure / action. Good luck!
    Solid advice thank you really good info