Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100) Bozekk is not very well liked. (-100)

Are side bends bad ?

Hello, i have a question. I train mainly for hypertrophy/strenght. When i train abs, i always did side bends with dumbell for obliques. I like them because i can squeeze and just feel my obliques more than with woodchoper for example. The thing is, i looked on internet and its pretty hated exercise, people say that its dangerous (something with spine idk) but mainly it wont hit obliques, because you just crunch without "twist" that is needed for better obliques. I mean is that "twist" really necessary and i should do different exercise, or purely for obliques hypertrophy its enough ? Ty

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bozekk View Post
    Hello, i have a question. I train mainly for hypertrophy/strenght. When i train abs, i always did side bends with dumbell for obliques. I like them because i can squeeze and just feel my obliques more than with woodchoper for example. The thing is, i looked on internet and its pretty hated exercise, people say that its dangerous (something with spine idk) but mainly it wont hit obliques, because you just crunch without "twist" that is needed for better obliques. I mean is that "twist" really necessary and i should do different exercise, or purely for obliques hypertrophy its enough ? Ty
    Do suitcase carries instead
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    They are not bad and they do hit the obliques to a degree. People who say that are referring to the fact that the side bend motion is somewhat orthogonal to the direction of the fibers of the obliques, meaning the obliques should not contribute much. The side bend more directly hits the quadratus lumborum, a deep abdominal muscle that is harder to see. However, the obliques are not parallel to the ground you are standing on, and then do assist in lateral flexion. So, if you stand while holding a dumbbell in your right hand and bend towards your right, you will need to flex the left side of the abdomen to stand straight again.

As a variation, set up a pulley where you are holding the handle in your right hand with the resistance coming from above you, then do the side bend motion towards your right. You will likely be able to flex more deeply while maintaining the overall load than you would by simply holding a dumbbell in your left hand.

However, do an experiment on yourself. Pick some rotational/twisting exercise like woodchoppers and figure out your 10 rep max. Then do a hard set of side bends on each side. Then try to do your 10 rep max with the woodchoppers. If you get considerably fewer than 10 reps you'll know you hit your obliques with the side bends. Repeat this when fresh, but do so by first doing a hard set of woodchoppers, and then try the woodchopper 10 rep max weight. If your rep count decreases the same amount as it did with the side bends then you are definitely hitting the obliques well with side bends. If your rep count decreases a lot more when the preceding set was woodchoppers compared to when your preceding set was side bends, then you may benefit more by including a rotational movement.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Do suitcase carries instead
    ^^^

A good metabolic finisher to a leg day as well

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    twists is needed for maximum activation for obliques. side bends is not that much of an effective exercise , most people do this thinking it will burn their fat on their waist which it wont.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    ^^^

A good metabolic finisher to a leg day as well
    the best exercise nobody does. Better even than farmers walks. I would go out on a limb and say one of the top 5 exercises you can do
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB