tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

garage gym routine

hey all.

for an introduction I just want to mention I've been lifting on and off for a good 12 years. I enjoy the science behind it and the understanding of proper form and execution. I've felt really good doing the current routine and I based it off of mixing together what I have available with some of my favorite sources for exercise research. namely "body by science" Dr doug Mcguff. "high intensity training" mike metzner. and naturally. mark rippetoe starting strength.

that being said I do all my lifts with as solid form as possible and tend to keep a slower cadence than average.

the reason for my post is basically to just see if people think I have a decent routine or if there are ways to tweak or improve it. I tend to keep them short because I have a newborn to give my attention too and a lot of these guys I've read seem to think it's not all about time spent lifting. I tend to keep it simple because compound lifts seem most effective and I only have a power rack and flat bench in my garage with a barbell setup.

without rambling too much more this is my current routine and I'd love to hear from you on thoughts to improve or tweak (if anything)

Every other day

legs - 4x5 squats ( warmup, ramp up, 3 sets full weight)

pushes - Bench press , standing military press. I'm in the market for a dip bar.

legs - same routine.

pulls - wide grip pull up, chin up, standard pull up. ( all to failure ) , deadlift 2x5. ( warmup, ramp up, full weight)

let me know your thoughts!
    Goals.....

BIGGER BETTER FASTER STRONGER

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Horizontal pull (bent over row).

Do you have a medium to large sized dog?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tdmopar59 View Post
    hey all.

for an introduction I just want to mention I've been lifting on and off for a good 12 years. I enjoy the science behind it and the understanding of proper form and execution. I've felt really good doing the current routine and I based it off of mixing together what I have available with some of my favorite sources for exercise research. namely "body by science" Dr doug Mcguff. "high intensity training" mike metzner. and naturally. mark rippetoe starting strength.

that being said I do all my lifts with as solid form as possible and tend to keep a slower cadence than average.

the reason for my post is basically to just see if people think I have a decent routine or if there are ways to tweak or improve it. I tend to keep them short because I have a newborn to give my attention too and a lot of these guys I've read seem to think it's not all about time spent lifting. I tend to keep it simple because compound lifts seem most effective and I only have a power rack and flat bench in my garage with a barbell setup.

without rambling too much more this is my current routine and I'd love to hear from you on thoughts to improve or tweak (if anything)

Every other day

legs - 4x5 squats ( warmup, ramp up, 3 sets full weight)

pushes - Bench press , standing military press. I'm in the market for a dip bar.

legs - same routine.

pulls - wide grip pull up, chin up, standard pull up. ( all to failure ) , deadlift 2x5. ( warmup, ramp up, full weight)

let me know your thoughts!
    Squats, front squats, deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts…calf raises…lower body is covered!

Bench, push-ups with feet up on the bench, military press, rows and chins, upright rows, curls and triceps extensions, upper body is good too.

Amazing really how little equipment you need to get er done!
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tdmopar59 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Horizontal pull (bent over row).

Do you have a medium to large sized dog?
    interesting question. I happen to have 2 of them haha.
    Goals.....

BIGGER BETTER FASTER STRONGER

PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsychoLifter05 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Squats, front squats, deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts…calf raises…lower body is covered!

Bench, push-ups with feet up on the bench, military press, rows and chins, upright rows, curls and triceps extensions, upper body is good too.

Amazing really how little equipment you need to get er done!
    Add some lunges. Great for home gym goers.

Lemme tell ya sumthin.... palumboism's Avatar
    palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sternum pullups are a good one too.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey man, I'm surprised, that's a really good book but almost nobody knows about it.

I do a similar thing but I really dig pre-fatigues too before the big exercise, to make sure the compound exercise is limited by the target muscle. Although you don't really have the equipment but you could do dumbbell pec fly before the bench press at least.