BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Candy as high GI kicker

Ok i was at bulk barn today and while grabbing a ton of other great stuff (i freakin luv this place, i just found out today you get a 10% discount if you're a student).. but yah..

i grabbed these tart candies and they're mainly dextrose.. im guessing these would suffice as a post-workout snack? i love how you can use a workout as an excuse to eat really high GI foods.. anyone know of any other tasty 'junk' foods good for this use?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Re: Candy as high GI kicker

Originally posted by BLiSS420
    i grabbed these tart candies and they're mainly dextrose.. im guessing these would suffice as a post-workout snack? i love how you can use a workout as an excuse to eat really high GI foods.. anyone know of any other tasty 'junk' foods good for this use?
    Sure they would do - if you like ruining your health with processed crap.

Don't do it - if you are going to eat high GI carbs after a workout - at least do it properly with dextrose/malto powder, not candy.

Working out is not an 'excuse' to eat poorly - it should be the REASON why you DON'T.

MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I disagree. Dextrose is dextrose, and in terms of general health, its not going to make a difference whether you're eating it in powdered form or in a solid candy form (as long as the candy doesn't have any trans fats or the like.) If eating some candy -in moderation - postworkout is psychologically satisfying and keeps him from eating poorly the rest of the time then I say go for it.

BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yah thats kind of how I think.. i keep my diet fairly strict but i needa cheat sometimes or else i'll go crazy and i figured this candy dose Post workout would be a cheat that wouldn't be quite as bad..

30cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I to would like to know if it would be a good idea.
    The truth is you need high GI food right after work-out and candy/sugar is just that.

At the same time it feels wierd to eat a "good meal" of candy...

pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50) pSb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree, dex is dex. With something like sweet tarts all you'd be adding would be food coloring.

Only thing is you've got to chew them all up. How many sweet tarts does it take to equal 40g dextrose or so? I guess you could wash it down with protein in water...

Billy Ocean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it doesnt matter what suagr you use as long as you use a simple sugar. I use coke to carb up after a workout and works just aswell and dextrose powder or any othe **** people preach on here that you have to use this or you have to use that.
    A young ***** holdin big face foldin
    Pimps are known for catching runaways
    A good hustler's known to keep his gun away
    First ***** run up and try to jack mine,
    first ***** **** up to get flat lined

5'11
    7% bf

smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50) smoothmoose will become famous soon enough. (+50)

pure dextrose is not cheap...

yup, instead...i've tried using dried dates yesterday (GI of 103!)...worked pretty well...the only thing is...if you are going to blend it in a shake...you need to soak in warm/hot water...they get hard in cold water as i found out...basically dates are pretty much fruit candy. I guess next time...I'll do a chew down and then wash down instead.

Coke has too much gas for me to gulp down...I've been using juices most of the time...but their GI are not as high....

Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Billy Ocean
    it doesnt matter what suagr you use as long as you use a simple sugar. I use coke to carb up after a workout and works just aswell and dextrose powder or any othe **** people preach on here that you have to use this or you have to use that.
    Absolutely wrong. If nothing else, coke is going to have sugar. That is, sucrose. 1/2 fructose, 1/2 dextrose. Fructose, no matter whether you think it's good in moderation or not at all, is NEVER good post-workout. Bad idea.

As if that weren't enough, coke is loaded with HFCS or high-fructose corn syrup -- one of the worst and nastiest things you can eat.

Coke is not the best solution at ALL, but if it works for you, great.

Billy Ocean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Zachary
    Absolutely wrong. If nothing else, coke is going to have sugar. That is, sucrose. 1/2 fructose, 1/2 dextrose. Fructose, no matter whether you think it's good in moderation or not at all, is NEVER good post-workout. Bad idea.

As if that weren't enough, coke is loaded with HFCS or high-fructose corn syrup -- one of the worst and nastiest things you can eat.

Coke is not the best solution at ALL, but if it works for you, great.
    yea it works for me and im still around 7% bf so all that scientific jargon about how the body metabolises fructose differntly than all the other sugars is a crock of **** in my book.
    A young ***** holdin big face foldin
    Pimps are known for catching runaways
    A good hustler's known to keep his gun away
    First ***** run up and try to jack mine,
    first ***** **** up to get flat lined

5'11
    7% bf

Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Then again, there are 150 lbs. guys that can eat 3500 calories and still lose muscle and 150 lbs. guys that can eat 2000 calories and still pack on the fat.

Everyone is different, but not believing science is just plain stupid. You may have a fast metabolism, or maybe the rest of your diet is excellent, but there's no reason for most people to seek out things that are going to have a strong potential to be harmful.

As to candy...if it doesn't have trans-fats, HFCS, sucrose, fructose, etc. i.e. if it's just dextrose equivalent, I can't imagine it'd be any different from just taking pure dextrose except for a little flavor. Psychological effects can play a big role here.