bamsiebandit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Does anyone feel like they don't know their own body any more?

I started working out when I was 14 with a little home bench....I was a power lifter in my late teens/ early 20's. I was a marathon runner in my late 20's / early 30's. I'm now 44 years old, obese, and I have no idea what I am doing.

I followed some basic guidelines for nutrition and exercise but I always instinctually worked out/ dieted. I pushed myself in some ways/ pulled back when it felt wrong to me--- individualized/ personalized my plans.

Nothing I have done in the past works anymore. Working out doesn't feel good anymore. I have tried various programs for 2 months at a time over the last 2 years. I still have the energy for long runs but my joints hurt and I am losing no weight. I tried a powerlifting program and a bodybuilding program...my strength isn't really going up, I don't have any energy. I tried keto , I lose weight, but my testosterone/ strength plummets, I have insomnia, and joint paint which I suspect might be gout.

I eat carbs, I barely drop a pound. I cycle calories, intermittent fast, calories in calories out-- I even tried being vegan. Nothing gives me the energy/ weight loss/ health ratios I am looking for. I mean I could start taking meth tomorrow and be anorexic but that wouldn't be the healthiest choice.

I'm going to see a doctor this week--- he's already proposing TRT replacement sight unseen , which makes me nervous. I thought after working out almost 30 years I knew exactly what to do, I knew my body. But I feel totally at a loss. I no longer know how to eat, how to exercise, I'm weak, I'm fat, I'm lethargic---it is very frustrating.

More than advice, I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this feeling or is this almost universal at a certain age?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can't relate. I know my body better now than ever.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Building my empire chinchillabrah's Avatar
    chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000) chinchillabrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    When I drink coffee I s h I t
    "We just trying to get rich and suck some titties"
    *I love PutangSlayer & Marsman173 & Lightsoft*
    -PutanagSlayer Crew-

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know a good # of middle-aged, out-of-shape people who talk about how they were in great shape when they were younger, even though they never were - so it may be a relatively common delusion.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nobody is particularly energetic while losing a ton of fat to escape obesity.

Stop worrying so much and focus on building eating habits you can live with for the rest of your life. With the understanding that it will be easier when you are not trying to lose weight anymore.

Training tends to be more fun too. Hang in there.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl