crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Who does pull-ups at home...?

Apart from chinning bars that fit in your doorway, how else can you put a chinning bar in your room?

I'm gonnna move into my new room soon, and I'm thinking about building two little 'fireplace' type walls (or pillars) that are about 1ft wide, and about 3 foot apart, and stick a bar between them.

Any other ideas...?

I've looked at wall mounted chinning bars but they only support 200lb.
    Last edited by crescendo; 10-22-2003 at 04:38 PM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    that sounds good i just use the one in my power rack....

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a dip/chin tower in my basement gym. They don't take up much room, depending on what room you're working out in, and really help with dips, pullups and chinups.

Good luck.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Who does pull-ups at home...?

Originally posted by crescendo
    Apart from chinning bars that fit in your doorway
    Wha's wrong with those? You have weak doorframes?
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) crescendo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by MiloMan
    Wha's wrong with those? You have weak doorframes?
    When I workout, I usually lock the door. I prefer being alone if you know what I mean. Also, I'll be doing other things with the bar like hang upside-down, so that won't look so good in the doorway (plus the fact that the doorway wouldn't take my height).

Below is a little drawing of what I plan to do. I can also put some bookshelves on either side of the pillars (with the chinning bar in the middle).

Also, the bar will be extremely sturdy.
    I don't usually compliment myself, but thats a damn good idea ...
    Attached Images

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    When I workout, I usually lock the door. I prefer being alone if you know what I mean. Also, I'll be doing other things with the bar like hang upside-down, so that won't look so good in the doorway (plus the fact that the doorway wouldn't take my height).

Below is a little drawing of what I plan to do. I can also put some bookshelves on either side of the pillars (with the chinning bar in the middle).

Also, the bar will be extremely sturdy.
    I don't usually compliment myself, but thats a damn good idea ...
    sounds quite good and certainly should look good...

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Max0xr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the loft, though I can only use reverse grip pull ups...for normal ones I gotta door in my bedroom with quite some gap above the frame. The bedroom door frameis kinda short for my height so I keep my legs bent and straight out in front.
    If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8160.html
    That's the dip/chin tower I'm waiting for myself. Can't wait to get it to replace my rinky old one. Got it on ebay though because although I like NY Barbell, they wanted way too much for shipping.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Who does pull-ups at home...?

I do! I do pull ups on the bar connected inbetween my 7 foot tall power rack.

SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think I saw the same one at Dick's for $99 as well as Sears. Not sure if the same quality though...

BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you have a rck or smith. you could just put the bar to the top and do chins on it.

Originally posted by BigBoogie
    If you have a rck or smith. you could just put the bar to the top and do chins on it.
    You could, but it won't be stable enough.

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You could, but it won't be stable enough.
    yeah it would, just put the bar in the hooks and do a chin up, that would be stable enough
    and what exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke?

EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

PULLUPS AND EQUIPMENT

i go to the local park to do pullups. I live in CA where weather is nice and even if it's "bad" its not really. I have a picture of my back, im 19 years old, 5' 8-1/2"150-160 pounds depending on how much I eat and if I'm cutting weight for wrestling.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/79188431FIjJPq
    My back is largely a product of wide grip pullups and deadlifts. Pullups are a necessity for good wrestling, and a man is usually in "good shape" if they have a nice back and big shoulders.

That being said,

I'll be talking about 3 equipment items related to pullups, their pros and cons.

1) doorway bar
    2) rack/powertower
    3) park

DOORWAY PULLUP BAR
    -pros
    *Information about me aside, let's talk equipment. I had a doorway pullup bar for a while, until last year. Everytime I would walk by the doorway pullup bar I would do pullups. Easy, convenient, accessible anytime.

-cons
    *I was always afraid that if I added weights my door frame would break even though only a buck fifty pounds.
    *I prefer to stand up and reach up to the bar, not reach up to the bar and fall down, as it makes it harder to add weights because the weights may hit the ground if you use a dip belt at the bottom of your contraction
    *you cannot do wide grip pullups on doorway bars.

POWER TOWER
    -pros
    *can do multiple exercises, dips, leg lifts, pullups(variety, INCLUDING the most important/hardest: WIDE GRIP). Go as wide as you can, this will give you the V shape in the back. They are hard at first but hey, no points for whiners.
    *has padded handles so you don't blister/callous your hands(Gold's Gym power-tower was the best I've used, as opposed to the others with small, not-very-wide "wide grip" pullups)
    *easier to hold on to wide-grip pullups with the slight slant in the apparatus

-cons
    * I lived in a dorm and we had a power tower. Unfortunately the power tower is pretty DAMN tall so if you're going to do pullups make sure you have clearance for your chin/head to be ABOVE the bar(they're called pullups/chinups after all, aren't they?) That was a major problem. Because they are so tall you will need a high ceiling otherwise your head will crack the ceiling when it hits.(basically they can only be placed in a high-ceiling area such as a garage)
    *some power towers are not very stable when you're bouncing around. They will squeak and this could/could not get annoying.

THE LOCAL PARK
    -pros
    *free
    *very sturdy
    *can add as much weight as you can handle

-cons
    *weather may make you not want to do pullups(if you're not dedicated)
    *less convenient due to having to walk/drive to the park
    *wide grip pullups are harder to do because of the straight-bar. Hands slip and there are no "pads"(pads are for girls, gentlemen.) just kidding

Hope this helps.

EZE
    9/2005

Deadlift: 505lb
    Chins: 8 x 90lb weighted
    Dips: 15 x 150lb weighted
    Fastest Pin: 11 seconds
    Fastest Tech-Fall: 2:09

Re: PULLUPS AND EQUIPMENT

Originally posted by EEZerik
    i go to the local park to do pullups.
    How do you do pull-ups in your local park? Do you grab onto a tree branch or something? Got a pic?

EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EEZerik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh sorry yes i grab a tree

Actually most parks around my neighborhood got monkey bars. On the monkeys you get one hand on one bar and your other hand on a parallel, adjacent bar. you can do close grip pullups and go up till your shoulders hit the bars(your head goes up between the bars); Then there are also bars to hang from. This is where I do the wide grips. I'll take a pic soon...

Hope this helps =D

-EzE
    9/2005

Terrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is this a good one? Its the only one i can find in the UK can you tell if the wide grips are wide enough from mesurments?

http://www.exercisezone.co.uk/store/...d=MAR%2DTC2000

Terrone...

hrm...the link doesn't work for me.

It just takes me to the website but I couldn't find which category it was under. Let me know I'm sure anyone with a wide grip is fine... you just need to go as wide as you possibly can. link it or attach a picture with the dimensions

EzE
    9/2005

Terrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    let me see if this works

Marcy 'TC2000' Powerstation

Assembled Dimensions:

Length = 137cm
    Width = 112cm
    Height = 221cm

Weight = 42kg
    Attached Images

great, yeah that's great it has the wide-grip option and you can also do them closer if you want. I suggest doing both but more emphasis on the wides Looks sturdy. good luck tell us how it workz

EZE
    9/2005

(8(i) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You might want to check this one out, the "doorway gym" http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/02001.html

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    check this out too....

http://www.ringtraining.com/

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by (8(i)
    You might want to check this one out, the "doorway gym" http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/02001.html
    do ya'll think doorways will support 235 lbs?? It looks cool but I fear for the poor ol' doorways...

anybody? I want to get one. ^^^^

If you want one that will support a heavier person, I recommend the one Milo suggested. I just got it and it's very solid.

Thanks Overlord. I was really impressed with the forty dollar price tag on the former however. I guess I'll just pass

Snakepayne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Registered User the nice monste's Avatar
    the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do pullups

Registered User the nice monste's Avatar
    the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the nice monste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)