Thread: Torn Pec

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Torn Pec

Just curious if it is possible to recover from a slightly torn pec without surgery. I tore my pec this summer powerlifting with a friend of mine and have been taking it very easy getting back into the heavy weights.

I am not sure if it is mental but anytime my chest feels tired at all on the bench i get worried. Now I can dumbell press great, rack outs, etc.. but even light weights on the bench feel different.

Sucks to be doing dumbell presses with 90+ lb dumbells but then have to worry about 225 on the bench.

Btw the day i tore my chest i warmed up with 5 min cardio, did stretches,
    2 sets of 135 lbs for 10
    185x5
    225x5
    255x3
    275x3
    285x1.5 (on the 2nd rep it went)

I do find it encouraging i was able to put up 200lbs x 10 reps @ 153 lbs, Tuesday, but that is obviously not the way to get my strength up. Just less scary then messing with the bigger weights on that one exercise.

Not sure if the pic shows anything but just putting it here incase someone thinks my right pec looks like something is wrong with it.
    Attached Images

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Did you have an MRI scan back when you had the tear?
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10) beau_zo_brehm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i think it looks different than the left pec but i cant see an obvious tear

Strength From Withen PainThriller's Avatar
    PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PainThriller is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I too have a had a pec tear before, but when i tore it it went from a yellowish color to a dark purple as if it were a large bruise. It was in my right pec. Now it looks as if it's alot smaller than my left pec. When did you tear it bro?
    Bench: 500 Paused Inzer Rage Single Ply (training @ 198 lbs) RAW Bench: 410 @ 195, 415 @ 202, Best RAW Bench Reps: 320 X 11, 340 X 6 (heavily fatigued to), 350 X 5, 375 X 3 Paused, 370 X 4, Best 230 for Reps Set: 30 Reps, Incline: 355
    Squat: 540 (belt/wraps well below paralell)
    Deadlift: 520 RAW just a belt.
    Total: 1510 @ 216 LBS and 20 years old

Best Competition Bench Press: 430 Lbs @ 216 Lbs (Dont worry, this WILL VASTLY IMPROVE!!!!!)

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by PainThriller
    I too have a had a pec tear before, but when i tore it it went from a yellowish color to a dark purple as if it were a large bruise. It was in my right pec. Now it looks as if it's alot smaller than my left pec. When did you tear it bro?
    Happened late April, so I took it easy on Regular Bench type movements for nearly 3 weeks. Then I was able to slowly add in stuff like DB Presses, and just two months ago I got up the courage to start benching again. I don't feel pain, but you always have it in the back of your mind that it might happen again. Weird thing is, i always did a good warm up due to rotator cuff issues when i was a freshman in high school.

Beelzebub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I slightly tore my left pec in july working out with 405, and i couldn't do any pressing movements for about a month. after that, i did light pec decks for a few weeks then got back to light machine bench presses. now, my chest is back to the old weight again, but it still feels kinda weird, like it wants to tear again. not sure if it's mental or not. either way, i'm lifting a lot safer now. slower and more controlled.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

"The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it." Adolf Hitler

Originally posted by Beelzebub
    I slightly tore my left pec in july working out with 405, and i couldn't do any pressing movements for about a month. after that, i did light pec decks for a few weeks then got back to light machine bench presses. now, my chest is back to the old weight again, but it still feels kinda weird, like it wants to tear again. not sure if it's mental or not. either way, i'm lifting a lot safer now. slower and more controlled.
    Exactly how i am approaching it. I think I am feeling the same thing you are. I am extremely safe now. Thanks for the feedback guys.

citadeltango26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    I just tore my pec the day before yesterday in Iraq. I slightly pulled it my senior year in college (3 years ago) and about 2 months later I was able to bench the same again but with that "kinda of weird feeling". I decided I wanted to break 400lbs this year. I easily benched 365. Then I told my spotter to add another 45 just so I can feel the way 405 would be. I was trying to do a negative rep when about 3 inches from my chest I felt a rip with a popping noise. I am in Germany now, I'll be getting my MRI tomorrow to find out what type of tear it is. Not going to lie, I'm really pissed. Word of advice get the pec checked or lay off the really heavy weights.