Corrado has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how do i know if I'm overtraining?

I've been working out 2 bodyparts a day, working each body part twice a week (mon-sat). I've been getting stronger, but I'm not sure if I would have gotten stronger only working one part a week. I feel like I'm cheating myself If I only do one a week. anyone have any suggestions on if I should change my workout...

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    if you are gettign stronger and groing then there is no need to stop... sounds a very hard schedule... post the whole split...

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    don't train 6days/week; body grows when it rests, not when it lifts

common signs of overtraining- trouble sleeping/eating, irritabililty, gains slowing down (size/strength...size is hard to see, but strength is more noticeable), depression, boredom over lifting.

you should take a break every 7-9weeks.
    Booo

I work out chest/bi's on mon and thurs, back/tri's on tues & fri, and shoulders and legs on weds & sat. I'm thinking about doing the same schedule on mon-weds, but then one body part thurs-sat.
    amusclehead, I haven't had any of those symptoms of overtraining, I eat like a horse, my strength is still going up (my bench went from 325 to 335 in the past month), but I feel like I might be able to get stronger if I change my routine (I just feel like if I do one a week that I'm not doing enough)
    Also could you guys tell me how many excercises you do per body part

thanks, -Dan

TheMonster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why dont you try this:

Day 1) Chest/bicep....., Day 2) Back/Tricep, day3) Delts and legs.... then rest day 4, and repeat.

Don't drop off too drastically if you are gaining. Try something like this, and see if your gains increase or decrease.

This is what I am using.
    There is no overtraining, only under eating.

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Out of curiousity: why do you split chest/bi back/tri

and not chest/tri back/bi

massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Originally posted by TheMonster
    why dont you try this:

Day 1) Chest/bicep....., Day 2) Back/Tricep, day3) Delts and legs.... then rest day 4, and repeat.

don't do this. biceps before back, no. triceps right after chest, no.

if you want to increase your training frequency then do a push pull split.
    eg:
    ...........M................W..................F.. ...........
    wk 1...push........pull...............push.........
    wk2....pull..........push.............pull........ ..

(pull includes legs)

these sorts of sets up have worked best for me. but you have to keep the volume down so that you're recovering by the next training session and adding weight to your lifts.
    Train like an animal
    Eat like a horse
    Sleep like a baby
    Grow like a weed

I've got more mass than a church on sunday.

someone, somewhere is training harder with less excuses.

the harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.

got www.bodybuildingapplied.com ?

why does "push pull" matter

the reason I am doing this is because one of the older, and jacked, guys at my gym was doing it. I asked him why not chest/tri, back/bi. He said he felt he got a better tri workout if he didn't do chest first, same with bi's. I decided to give it a try and i felt the same way. now i feel like it's time for a change, but I don't know what to do...

themonster, that sounds like what I was thinking of doing

massmatter, on your push pull routine you only go to the gym 3 times a week? i feel like that not enough for me

massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250) massmatters has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I got to the gym to stimulate. then I go home to eat, eat, eat, and sleep. the more time you spend in the gym, the less time you spend on recovery and growth.
    Train like an animal
    Eat like a horse
    Sleep like a baby
    Grow like a weed

I've got more mass than a church on sunday.

someone, somewhere is training harder with less excuses.

the harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.

got www.bodybuildingapplied.com ?

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: .....................

Originally posted by massmatters
    I got to the gym to stimulate. then I go home to eat, eat, eat, and sleep. the more time you spend in the gym, the less time you spend on recovery and growth.
    Bump - True that. I used to be a 6 day a week junky thinking it was helping me. It only hurts you when you dont give your muscles time to recover.

AWILD, whats your split like and have you noticed sugnificant gains not going to the gym as much?

My splits look like this:

Day 1
    Chest
    Tris

Day 2
    Back
    Bis

Day 3
    Shoulders
    Legs

With only 3 days a week in there, you can train heavy with good amounts of rest in between to assure optimal recovery. As for gains - I have seen considerable gains in the last 2.5 months. I have put on 13.5lbs since my 3 day splits started. (not all muscle, but most)