IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Exclamation Can barely run a sub 30 m 5k wtf (running help srs)

What's going on here boyos, something is wrong

I run 3-5 times a week some longer ~8km some shorter ~3km. Literally been running consistently since this time last year, except a couple months I took off from an achilles sprain in September.

My cardio has moderately improved but I still feel some breathlessness while plodding at 10 m/mile pace very early (sub mile) into the run. No asthma crew.

Leg and foot pain never ceases. Have to change shoes again but I doubt that will fix it. Stretching, rolling, cold watering. My low leg tends to hurt hurt, and quads fatigue relatively soon.

It can't be overtraining. I've tried taking 1-2 weeks off, but the chit returns immediately. I've tried running even more but it usually ends with lots of calves/shin pain like tonight and I don't want another injury and more time off.

My form is pretty good, I've watched several videos, recorded myself, and am fairly aware of my feet/leg contractions and placement.

Water and diet and sleep is fine.

How the hockeyPuck do I get rid of these issues and, more importantly, actually get at least a sub 25min 5km + easy cardiovascular endurance within a reasonable time frame? Preferably this year srs.

Will rep angus for life

Stats
    Weight: 170 lbs
    Ht: 5'10"

lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lolatpaniccels is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    See a PT that knows what they're doing.

KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    PT checking in here, stretching alone is not enough. Aggressive gluteal strengthening paired with eccentric calf and arch strengthening are all super important. If you want to skip this step of increased strengthening or want to start feeling better right away, slip on some orthotics if you have flat feet, get a pair of asics gel cumulus for ultimate cushion. Start doing shorter 2-3 k runs but run at a 70 - 80% clip rather than whatever % of your max you were doing (most people do long distance runs at a low VO2 Max %). if you want to go faster you have to do faster shorter runs and push yourself into higher % of exertion

The rationale is if you are putting this type of volume on your muscles of the lower leg, you have to have good mechanics via your gluteals for knee and foot control along with enough tensile strength of the calves to take the pounding you are giving it from long distance running. A lot of people develop achilles tendinosis as a result of not having enough tensile strength in it to support whatever activity you are doing.

aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aal04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    possible intolerance to food causing gout?

get a blood test

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do sprints on grass instead
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eightduece has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A sprint walk regimen srs. Sprint for 30 seconds then walk for 60. Do this for one mile. Work your way up to sprinting for 60 seconds and walking for 120 or walking for 60 as well. Also what the guy above said, strengthen your other supporting muscles too.

IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) IronFeta has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KevC View Post
    PT checking in here, stretching alone is not enough. Aggressive gluteal strengthening paired with eccentric calf and arch strengthening are all super important. If you want to skip this step of increased strengthening or want to start feeling better right away, slip on some orthotics if you have flat feet, get a pair of asics gel cumulus for ultimate cushion. Start doing shorter 2-3 k runs but run at a 70 - 80% clip rather than whatever % of your max you were doing (most people do long distance runs at a low VO2 Max %). if you want to go faster you have to do faster shorter runs and push yourself into higher % of exertion

The rationale is if you are putting this type of volume on your muscles of the lower leg, you have to have good mechanics via your gluteals for knee and foot control along with enough tensile strength of the calves to take the pounding you are giving it from long distance running. A lot of people develop achilles tendinosis as a result of not having enough tensile strength in it to support whatever activity you are doing.
    Been doing body squats (no gym) for glutes. I'll do more calf raises. Already using the asics gel nimbus, lots of cushioning in it. Will start those runs. Thanks man

Originally Posted by jamalfudge View Post
    Do sprints on grass instead
    More sprints coming. Most running I do is on grass already

Originally Posted by eightduece View Post
    A sprint walk regimen srs. Sprint for 30 seconds then walk for 60. Do this for one mile. Work your way up to sprinting for 60 seconds and walking for 120 or walking for 60 as well. Also what the guy above said, strengthen your other supporting muscles too.
    Ok

Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilovemygf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get a properly fitted pair of shoes, a Garmin, and the Garmin running dynamics pod and do one of the training plans. The people who design the programs are world class running coaches. They include all of the different run styles (tempo, hill runs, steady state etc) and are personalised depending on your heart rate zones etc.

Honestly it’s cheaper and better than paying for any running coach/pt sessions, and the dynamics pod gives you so much info on your running form.

Also getting faster over a long distance is the opposite to what’s been said. You need to increase weekly kms and do goal pace tempo runs, you won’t get a faster 5km by doing sprint intervals.
    Last edited by Ilovemygf; 07-08-2021 at 09:03 PM.

KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000) KevC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IronFeta View Post
    Been doing body squats (no gym) for glutes. I'll do more calf raises. Already using the asics gel nimbus, lots of cushioning in it. Will start those runs. Thanks man

More sprints coming. Most running I do is on grass already

Ok
    Body weight squats dont hit the area that you need in the glute too well unfortunately, great for the quads however. The group of muscles we are looking to strengthen are the abductors mainly

Look up :
    Banded clam shells, Monster / crab walks with a band, Banded standing hip abductions, single leg deadlifts (with or without a weight in hand) all golden exercises (8 years of physical therapy experience)

Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Caldef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not an expert but I started getting issues with my knees (iso bands) if I ran over ten km

Started doing pilates and yoga few times a week, and it's fixed it completely

Dunno if that's something you want to try or not, BTW classes are way easier than trying to remember to do it at home

Originally Posted by Ilovemygf View Post
    Get a properly fitted pair of shoes, a Garmin, and the Garmin running dynamics pod and do one of the training plans. The people who design the programs are world class running coaches. They include all of the different run styles (tempo, hill runs, steady state etc) and are personalised depending on your heart rate zones etc.

Honestly it’s cheaper and better than paying for any running coach/pt sessions, and the dynamics pod gives you so much info on your running form.
    Going to check this out looks a bit pricy but I'll make the investment if it's promising

WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WinningBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm in the same boat on the cardio side. Non-smoker, ectomorph frame, long limbs, not super bulky, drink plenty of water but still can't get to more than 1-2 miles at a brisk pace without feeling like my lungs are going to explode, even if I run 3-4x a week. No idea how unathletic people get their cardio endurance up

jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jofedm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Some thoughts from my previous running days.

Lose weight. Running adds like 4x the force to your joints.
    Get new shoes. This fixed me immediately when I dealt with shins splints.
    Don’t be afraid of high drop shoes.
    Don’t heal strikes.
    Run slower.
    Run shorter distances.

For me, it felt like my heart could handle the runs but my legs would crumble. I fought shin splints and calf pain for over a year. Running stress is tough, I don’t think any activity injures weekend athletes more. Take a solid month off and bike instead. Once back, pick a beginner plan and stick to it. You’ll feel like you can do more but stick to the plan. You don’t just wake up and start benching 300. Your entire body has to build up to it.