BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Is an old fashioned shaving routine (brush, lather etc) actually worth it?

Sup brahs

I know I made a thread on shaving the other day, but I just wanted to ask something different.

Do you really think shaving the 'long way' with a brush and soap/lather is worth it over just using a normal razor and canned shave gel?

Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes.

I started out over a decade ago to save money. Now it's kinda my decompress time after work. The whole process, warming up my face, lathering in my bowl, hearing the whiskers getting cut down...kinda dig it. If I could compare it to anything it's like taking the time to cook yourself a quality meal vs. going to McDonald's.
    Virtue is its own reward.

BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BenjiDaldes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by modcopisa**** View Post
    disposable razor + canned shave gel crew
    it's definitely more convenient

Originally Posted by Johnez View Post
    Yes.

I started out over a decade ago to save money. Now it's kinda my decompress time after work. The whole process, warming up my face, lathering in my bowl, hearing the whiskers getting cut down...kinda dig it. If I could compare it to anything it's like taking the time to cook yourself a quality meal vs. going to McDonald's.
    yeah brah I get you. do you think the result is much better?

then again i bet it's nice way to chill before going to bed

^ thanks brah

Is that available in the UK?

ToningWasTooHarshForMe atgbrahsrs's Avatar
    atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you must have missed my post yesterday - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1637270963
    communist until you get rich
    rightwing until financially secure
    atheist until the plane starts falling
    slootist until you get married
    muslim after you get married

tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tbonestake is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Shaving with a DE is much more rewarding and better quality then an electric or disposable. I kept light stubble for years because I would get ingrown hairs and razor rash from disposables. Since switching to wetshaving I haven’t had to deal with that at all and I shave everyday.

I use a DE and barbasol. Never understood the hype behind brush and soaps but another miscer recommended it highly so I’ve got a cheap one in the mail and some arko soap to give it a shot.
    Last edited by tbonestake; 04-29-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Originally Posted by atgbrahsrs View Post
    you must have missed my post yesterday - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1637270963
    didn't miss is homie it's all good just getting a few opinions

Originally Posted by tbonestake View Post
    Shaving with a DE is much more rewarding and better quality then an electric or disposable. I kept light stubble for years because I would get ingrown hairs and razor rash from disposables. Since switching to wetshaving I haven’t had to deal with that at all and I shave everyday.

I use a DE and barbasol. Never understood the hype behind brush and soaps but another miscer recommended it highly so I’ve got a cheap one in the mail and some arko soap to give it a shot.
    do DE razors not shave as close as multi blade razors?

atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) atgbrahsrs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BenjiDaldes View Post
    do DE razors not shave as close as multi blade razors?

When you say multi-blade razor you mean classic cartridge ones with 1-2-3-4-5 etc blades, such as Gilette, Harry etc?

If yes, if you look at how much the blade is exposed on a DE razor compared to a cartridge, you will see that it shaves closer...

From best to worst in terms of close-shave:

1. Straight barber razor

2. DE safety razor

3. Cartridge razor

4. Electric no guard

5. Trimmer (this leaves a stubble so not really clean shaven)

The difference between 1), 2) and 3) is minimal. Avoid straight barber razor as that is a bit more cut injury risk.

Sweeney Todd out.

Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Eterniity is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    there's probably better methods to keep your skin in better condition but the satisfaction you get from your method could be worth it. + you might get a rugged look.
    fictional account.
    closer to the lung.

Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Johnez has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gwg77 View Post
    I use Truefitt and Hill 1805 with a brush and it lasts a long time compared to gel in a can. Plus, it offers so much better lubrication for a cleaner shave and smells like a million bucks. Because it lathers so much, you dont actually have to use a lot at all. Just dip the brush tips in sparingly and it covers your whole face. When you get a brush and a proper soap/lather, you will see a huge difference from the crap in a can you buy at CVS. It seems a little expensive upfront, but it lasts months. I think gillete cans were only lasting me less than 2 weeks back in the day before I upgraded the program. I also recommend Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil and 1805 post shave. Again, you will smell like a million bucks.

Originally Posted by gwg77 View Post
    OP for shave soaps, also check out Taylor of Old Bond Street. It's like half the price of Truefitt and Hill 1805 on amazon (in the US), and while I prefer Truefitt and Hill (it is the best), I tried several of the different types of Taylor of Old Bond Street back in the day and they were a very good soap as well. It's also from the UK.
    You guys give Mitchell's Wool Fat (another UK original) a shot? I used to shave with TOBS and loved it. A lot of wetshavers don't like the newest formulation these days but it shaves ok for me.

OP, I can say it's objectively better. With DE, you control the angle and pick the blade that works best with your face. It takes a bit of work to get there though, if you're looking for a quick improvement in your shave DE ain't it.
    Virtue is its own reward.

AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's all BS, Dove bath soap and a basic razor with a gel strip, wet face in hot water and leave soap on for a minute or 2 , then take your time....and basic moisturiser after that is it , no 'Artisan' chit required

Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gios has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DE razors are good but I don't care about the lather and almost anything works. Yesterday I used pure aloe vera gel and it was good.

Originally Posted by AncientYouth View Post
    It's all BS, Dove bath soap and a basic razor with a gel strip, wet face in hot water and leave soap on for a minute or 2 , then take your time....and basic moisturiser after that is it , no 'Artisan' chit required
    Originally Posted by Gios View Post
    DE razors are good but I don't care about the lather and almost anything works. Yesterday I used pure aloe vera gel and it was good.

DE safety razor offers tangible benefits over cartridge/disposable in terms of reducing irritation/cost and durability per blade.

But I agree that canned supermarket gel works no worse than premium cream.

OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Its a weird hobby I'll never understand.
    You can achieve a perfectly fine shave using any generic 3+ bladed razor and takes under 5 minutes. OR you can spend a bunch of money on ridiculous little make up brushes and soap made from Jesus' sperm and spend 20 minutes doing it, only to achieve a shave which to everyone except yourself looks and feels exactly the same.
    13% do 52% AA's gonna AA
    Neg incel threads on sight crew
    Neg new users crew
    Pureblood crew

dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I enjoy it. Started shaving with safety razor 5+ years ago haven't looked back.

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Disposable razor, shave in the shower and Pacific Shaving Cream. Works great and one tube lasts for months.

*MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Thai_Clinch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by taf1968 View Post
    Disposable razor, shave in the shower and Pacific Shaving Cream. Works great and one tube lasts for months.

Shave my head in the shower crew.

I use Cremo Sandalwood Shave cream. Hot water. Gillette whatever pro something razor. Still the closest shave possible and i would go once a month to the barber for a clean shave and a beard trim.
    Buccaneers/Lightning/Rays/The U

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." - Arnold

Originally Posted by Anachron View Post
    And I can do the same ( achieve a perfectly fine shave in under 5 minutes ) using a DE, and spend 10% of what you spent.

However I would argue that a DE shave is better than one with a "generic 3+ blade razor".

Why is it that they can't understand this simple statement above...

Once you get used to the handle feel it is literally the same thing, just a metal handle instead of a plastic one and limited to 1 sharp blade that gets rid of everything in one stroke... thus less irritation and close shave due to how little exposure a cartridge has.

OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OneLegSquats has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    And I can do the same ( achieve a perfectly fine shave in under 5 minutes ) using a DE, and spend 10% of what you spent.

However I would argue that a DE shave is better than one with a "generic 3+ blade razor".
    You can get a DE for $1? Neat, bet thats what all the barbers use
    13% do 52% AA's gonna AA
    Neg new users crew
    Pureblood crew

You can't literally be this dumb.
    I must be, props for finding a DE for $1 with everlasting blades, so much cheaper than a pack of disposables. Much safer to use too
    13% do 52% AA's gonna AA
    Neg new users crew
    Pureblood crew

You even proved yourself wrong. A pack of disposables must last until the heat death of the universe for your statement to be true.
    My current one is 1 year old. Out of a pack of 10 for about $3. The trick is to rub it up your arm the opposite way to the blades then dry it. You can have that tip for free
    Have fun with your badger brush tho bro, you do you. Peace and love x
    13% do 52% AA's gonna AA
    Neg new users crew
    Pureblood crew

Not going to waste time trying to save 8 cents...

Have fun scraping your face up with a dull blade.

Edit: just fukin LOL at the bolded part.
    Have mercy, disposable is enough for peach fuzz under the nose

Some guys have only that