NotOnSteroids has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do you eat enough?

I could get the food if I needed it, but the problem I have is that I'm just not that hungry. I have little to no appetite in the morning. I can eat small meals throughout the day, but even then I'm not getting enough calories to bulk up any. I have been at the same weight now for quite a while. In fact. I've actually lost weight while trying to gain. I went from 160 to 155. I don't have much fat on me at all, and I haven't lost any muscle.

Now, the question is: how am I supposed to make myself eat more than I do now? I don't think it's possible to force myself to eat anymore than I do now, considering that I actually feel very full or even sick if I try to stuff myself. My workout is great, I just feel so limited by my appetite that I'm starting to lose motivation to work out.
    Don't you love watching the little gym nerds over there lollygagging on a worthless machine knowing that they will never be buff.

Don't think of it as lifting weight, think of it as posing and you just happen to have a weight in your hand.

Stick Boy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not the world's expert on bulking or anything, but I was having this trouble too, and as an ectomorph, it was a major issue for me.

What I did was constantly eat. I am lucky enough that at my job, I can pretty much eat nonstop (midnight shift at the county jail) so I find something and eat or nibble on it for a long time, that way I always have food going in, and I never EVER get hungry.

I was not a breakfast person either until the last week or so, I guess since I was always near full while I'm awake, after sleeping for 7 hours or so, my body was really ready for more food, so now I wake up and pig out on breakfast. Then I eat again like an hour later.

I have a recipe for a milkshake with choc. ice cream & peanut butter that gives over 1000 calories per shake (not hard to drink, either) if you want it, PM me.
    I quit smoking 10/7/03 @ 129 lbs
    10/11/03 - 131 lbs.
    1/25/03 - 152 lbs.

oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: How do you eat enough?

Originally posted by NotOnSteroids
    I could get the food if I needed it, but the problem I have is that I'm just not that hungry. I have little to no appetite in the morning. I can eat small meals throughout the day, but even then I'm not getting enough calories to bulk up any. I have been at the same weight now for quite a while. In fact. I've actually lost weight while trying to gain. I went from 160 to 155. I don't have much fat on me at all, and I haven't lost any muscle.

Now, the question is: how am I supposed to make myself eat more than I do now? I don't think it's possible to force myself to eat anymore than I do now, considering that I actually feel very full or even sick if I try to stuff myself. My workout is great, I just feel so limited by my appetite that I'm starting to lose motivation to work out.
    eat calorie-dense types of foods. eat more frequent meals. what does your diet look liek now?

NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let's see your diet. How many calories are you finding it tough to consume? I find it gets real tough to eat 3800-4000 clean calories myself. If you are talking about a much lower number, you may need to actually work on teaching yourself to eat more and more frequently.

Try adding more of the following into your diet.

Protein Shakes
    Peanut Butter
    Nuts
    Flax Seed Oil
    Fruit
    Milk
    Last edited by NRG; 10-21-2003 at 06:29 AM.
    "You are never maintaining. You are either improving yourself, or you are deteriorating."

I am staying on campus at school, so it is very hard to tell exactly how many calories I am getting a day. Anyway, I find it impossible to eat any kind of breakfast at all. I can eat a small lunch with one or two glasses of milk. Dinner can be fairly large but not huge, and I add 2 or 3 glasses of milk at the end. I usually drink about 4 glasses of milk for a post workout meal. I have plenty of protein bars to eat twice a day for while.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that my calories are below 1500-2000 a day at best. I find it very difficult to eat very much. I try to eat healthy and I try to eliminate fat where ever I can. But, how do you get yourself to eat more? I feel full or even sick if I try to stuff myself, and what I can eat comfortably is not enough for muscle gains. I have a pretty good bit of muscle, but I've had it for years now with only slight improvements. I have thread in the post your pictures section with my pictures, it is probably back on page four or five by now.
    Don't you love watching the little gym nerds over there lollygagging on a worthless machine knowing that they will never be buff.

Don't think of it as lifting weight, think of it as posing and you just happen to have a weight in your hand.

NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NRG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by NotOnSteroids
    I am staying on campus at school, so it is very hard to tell exactly how many calories I am getting a day. Anyway, I find it impossible to eat any kind of breakfast at all. I can eat a small lunch with one or two glasses of milk. Dinner can be fairly large but not huge, and I add 2 or 3 glasses of milk at the end. I usually drink about 4 glasses of milk for a post workout meal. I have plenty of protein bars to eat twice a day for while.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that my calories are below 1500-2000 a day at best. I find it very difficult to eat very much. I try to eat healthy and I try to eliminate fat where ever I can. But, how do you get yourself to eat more? I feel full or even sick if I try to stuff myself, and what I can eat comfortably is not enough for muscle gains. I have a pretty good bit of muscle, but I've had it for years now with only slight improvements. I have thread in the post your pictures section with my pictures, it is probably back on page four or five by now.
    Ok so why don't you try this. Carry around a piece of fruit and eat that whenever you eat a protein bar. I used to carry around a bag of cashews or whatever when I was in school and just take a good solid handful of them as a serving along with the bar and fruit. Right there you've got 500-600 calories 2 times a day. Other than that, the other stuff I mentioned is easy to keep in a dorm room and eat on the spot. And ditch the milk in your PW shake if you can. I'd go with 2 scoops of Whey (5lbs. ON is like $25) and some fruit or fruit juice before the Milk. Even better would be some gatorade or something with dextrose.

It's gonna be really tough to gain good weight regardles of body type on 2000 calries a day. If you absolutely positively can't train your body to consume more clean food, you'll have to go to things with denser calories to get the fuel you need to gain weight. Good luck.
    "You are never maintaining. You are either improving yourself, or you are deteriorating."

thecanuck22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you need to force yourself to eat bro. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Breakfast should be one of your largest meals and it is definitly one of the most important, You wanna grow you gotta eat, no way around it. eat eat eat to grow grow grow.
    The truth is that many people confuse difficulty with impossibility. They assume that the greatest things can be achieved with the greatest ease. When they encounter resistance, they assume that the obstacles they face are insurmountable. At that point, failure is inevitable, and the process of rationalization begins. What is needed is a new belief, a new understanding of what is required to reach one’s potential. It is an understanding that the greatest things are necessarily difficult. Unless you embrace that simple fact, unless you relish the difficulty, unless you enjoy every minute spent overcoming the obstacles that others shy away from, you will never succeed in your endeavors.
    John Berardi in 'The Large Professor'

Originally posted by thecanuck22
    you need to force yourself to eat bro. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Breakfast should be one of your largest meals and it is definitly one of the most important, You wanna grow you gotta eat, no way around it. eat eat eat to grow grow grow.
    As I said I find it very difficult to eat breakfast at all. I can take like two bites (literally) of anything and be full. I might start eating a protein bar or something for breakfast.

I might try to start eating more fruit. Maybe I can force myself to eat some at the end of a meal.

Does anyone know of anyway to increase appetite? I am already lifting plenty.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know you stated 4 or 5 times you find it very hard to eat in the morning, and at other times. You make yourself workout, don't you? You make yourself get up and go to class, don't you? You make yourself study, don't you? Now, if it is truely important to you, make yourself eat. Also it sounds like your are drinking too many fluids even if it is milk. Thats an old trick dieters use to make themselves feel full, except of course they use water. Trust me, if you put enough emphasis on eating as you do on working out and school, you will be able to get the job done. Rome wasn't built in a day, go for the slow but steady approach. Good Luck.

Originally posted by KingWill
    Also it sounds like your are drinking too many fluids even if it is milk. Thats an old trick dieters use to make themselves feel full, except of course they use water.
    I drink the milk at the end of the meal when I find it difficult to eat anymore. I can still force myself to drink some milk when I can no longer force myself to eat. Is that a good idea?

KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well.... you are drinking 1-2 glasses at lunch, 2-3 at dinner, and 3-4 post workout. So on days you workout, on the high end, that is nine glasses of milk. Two things - first that has got to be filling you up even if it doesn't feel like it, and second, that is over 1000 calories from milk. Your metabolism is obviously burning like a furnace. I don't think there are any other options than what I posted early. It is just going to come down to FORCING yourself to eat. You can consume some "garbage" calories - ice cream, french fries, etc, because fat isn't your problem, but try to get 150 gms of protein spaced out over 5 meals a day. Some eggs and bacon in the morning, a hamburger at lunch, a couple of pieces of chicken at dinner, plus a couple of protein bars in between and, presto, you are there. Do you eat in the cafeteria? They usually have a couple of things to choose from. Eat hard, Work hard.
    Last edited by KingWill; 10-21-2003 at 01:32 PM.