For1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

41 and new to lifting / bodybuilding

hey guys.

I am 41 years old, 6'4" and 210-215lbs. I am completely new to weight lifting / body building. I spent the last decade drinking and eating my way around the world working out here and then. My weight went up and down over the years from lows of 180lbs to highs of 250lbs - I have always been just in okay shape with the stereotypical mens weight all carried on stomach and love handles. Last year during the zombie apocalypse I stopped drinking for 6 months and did the P90x workout from home - cardio has always been my go to over the years - run run and more run always being what I thought was the answer. Lost some weight. toned up a little, but couldn't sustain it and went back to usual shape after another 6 months.

So in late December I started working with a personal trainer 4 days a week who is a 55 yr old retired ex semi pro bodybuilder - so the guy knows what he is doing..... I assume!!! I am on a nutrition plan now with him - 240g protein / 150g carbs 3 meals a day / 3 shakes a day / creatine and BCAA in the AM and a cheat meal on Saturday evening (eat whatever you want for an hour). we are doing 4 days workout a week for an hour rotating through the body muscle groups, my cardio has been cut down from running daily to 2 brisk walks for 30mins a day. I enjoy the new plan a lot but its a big change from being told for years cardio is a must to get the belly down..... which is never did completely successfully lol

Its been 5 weeks - my weight has gone from 210.6lbs to 210.4lbs (so little change on that front) - I am taking weeking pics to record progress as per recommendation of the trainer - the trainer keeps telling me I will see big changes in 12-16 weeks which based on being 5 weeks in and not seeing any real changes yet sounds optimistic - I am OCD as **** so am following the diet to the letter and pushing my ass off in the workouts, I don't see the point of half-assing it but would love to hear any new to lifting post 40 yr old comments you guys have. How long does it really take to see substantial results, I don't mind if it takes longer than my trainer says, I truly think it will and I'm fine with this being this years/next couple of years project, what do you guys use as motivational goals, what sort of results have you had, and advice, and comments on the diet plan I am on. I only just found this forum and reading other guys journeys are good to get things into perspective.
    Last edited by For1979; 01-24-2021 at 07:59 AM.

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It'll take time of course... you're tying to undo years of unhealthy living. 12-16 weeks seems reasonable. But stay consistent, that's most important.

If you're new to lifting, you may put on muscle fairly quickly and that might offset some of the fat loss.. at least while you're making newb gains. So don't worry too much about what they scale says, go by more of what you see in the mirror.

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Road to 190@15% bf

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    June 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds like a good plan. 12 weeks should be time to see results. The scale is less useful when first starting out due to changes in body composition, retaining water, ability to store more glycogen again more water storage there too... Stay consistent and give it time. You will get out of it what you put into it.

Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logical95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say 3-4 months is a good time frame to start to see *noticeable* changes in your body and weight. Don't forget though, you are doing more weights now and muscle weighs more than fat so even though you may not change much in weight that means you are probably adding more muscle.